U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
944 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Reputation: 406

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about the ban on super-thin. On the one hand, my emotional response is "YES!!!!!" On the other hand, I don't believe in passing laws to control how others look and eat.

The super-thin look is bizarre to me and I have no clue why it's so popular in fashion. Straight men generally like women to have some curves and be softer, more filled-out. I don't know any men who like the look of supermodels.

And what's up with the "I have no emotions" look? Totally unattractive and abnormal. Fashion is SO weird.....

For the record, I have 3 female friends who have been successful fashion models and they ALL had eating disorders because they're abused by their masters, weighed-in every day, treated like chattle. It's a sick exploitive industry.

It's sad and scary that little girls aspire to be models more than any other career when they're asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2006, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,782,313 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I have mixed feelings about the ban on super-thin. On the one hand, my emotional response is "YES!!!!!" On the other hand, I don't believe in passing laws to control how others look and eat.

The super-thin look is bizarre to me and I have no clue why it's so popular in fashion. Straight men generally like women to have some curves and be softer, more filled-out. I don't know any men who like the look of supermodels.

And what's up with the "I have no emotions" look? Totally unattractive and abnormal. Fashion is SO weird.....

For the record, I have 3 female friends who have been successful fashion models and they ALL had eating disorders because they're abused by their masters, weighed-in every day, treated like chattle. It's a sick exploitive industry.

It's sad and scary that little girls aspire to be models more than any other career when they're asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

It is a sick industry. Modeling, general modeling (i.e. clothes, shoes, rings, shampoo/hair, etc.) is one thing, starving yourself to lose anything from 25 lbs. down to even 2 measley lbs. is pathetic and very unhealthy. Many of these models turn out more insecure than your average girl walking around town because your average girl simply goes about her business...a model is told how to look, what to wear, what and how to eat, so basically if someone's there to keep telling her what to change, she must be feeling inferior to what she's "supposed" to look like. The other thing that makes me sick is watching my daughters and their friends pick up these magazines and think that that's how we're all supposed to look. Wouldn't it be boring if we all looked the same? Not too mention, did you ever notice that magazines will come out with new fashions and all the girls are these little toothpicks. So every teenager on earth starts starving themselves to look like that...two months later "bigger and fuller" is back in. So now all these girls stuff their faces to gain weight and look fuller or want boob jobs to look bigger. Three months later, thin is in. And we wonder why our country has health and weight issues and people think they way they do about us (that we're all money hungry and lazy). A friend of mine, who started to get into modeling and quit for those reasons told me that her boss (or whatever you call who runs your life when you model) told her at the time that what their true definition of a model means is "someone who represents the hanger that the outfit is hanging on". How many of us look like freakin' hangers??????!!!!! Not me, that's for sure. Who wants to look like a hanger? That's disgusting and I pray my kids don't ever try to go down that road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2006, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Just a few miles outside of St. Louis
1,921 posts, read 5,082,441 times
Reputation: 1180
Well, in defense, it's not all bad. But, I believe that parents need to be more in control, rather than letting the agencies call all the shots, if their daughters are going to get into modeling. Back in 96', (or was it 97'?), anyway, my daughter got into it, for a couple of years. She is a beautiful girl, and at 6' & 135 lbs., she was what they were looking for. She and I actually went a few rounds, initially, because I was very leery about her doing it. We finally came to an agreement and she got the contract. However, I made sure there were stipulations in it, for her protection. I also went with her to most of her jobs, not as the typical stage mom, simply to keep her safe. They wanted her to keep her weight, (which was a natural weight for her), but in all fairness, they didn't insist that she lose more weight. Of course, it wouldn't have helped them to push the issue, 'cause Mama was keeping a very close eye on the whole situation, and the agency knew better than to get cute about anything we hadn't agreed on. It was a good experience for her; she learned alot. Not the least of which is, beautiful girls are a dime a dozen, and they are not indespensable. And, only a handful get to the top of the business, 'cause it is a dog eat dog world. She is a fairly sensible girl, and I made sure she kept her feet on the ground at all times. But, she did get to travel, meet new people, see how other people lived, etc. Modeling is not something I would necessarily recommend, but as life experience, it didn't hurt her, (I even learned a few things.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 12:50 AM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 12,790,503 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
Great now maybe i wont feel as fat!!!!!!

You are welcome to cuddle with me! I like my women to have curves!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Can someone tell me why Kate Moss is earning $20 million this year for representing all of these cosmetic and fashion houses when last year she was photographed snorting huge lines of coke? She normally earned $5-$7 million a year before the coke scandal, now she's being rewarded with contracts and huge new contracts and 2006 will be her best earnings year ever... and can someone tell me what they see in her? I find her extremely Unattractive...I truly don't get it.


Ew shes anorexic and a crack user. I guess the other crack users like her but normal humans dont! Bet shes been in and out of jail too or at least drug rehab.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Viva Espana!

Finally these poor waifs are going to find out what it feels like to eat! I heard in the news that France, Italy and Germany may follow Madrid's lead!

It is about time because those girls weren't healthy looking at all.

Yay! I will personally sign all proposals to ban anorexic models. In fact there should be a weight minimum and even that, if a woman looks too skinny, she wont qualify. Plus models is where the buck used to be and a comeback is being made, even in america!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Burlington VT
1,405 posts, read 4,305,398 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Can someone tell me why Kate Moss is earning $20 million this year for representing all of these cosmetic and fashion houses when last year she was photographed snorting huge lines of coke? She normally earned $5-$7 million a year before the coke scandal, now she's being rewarded with contracts and huge new contracts and 2006 will be her best earnings year ever... and can someone tell me what they see in her? I find her extremely Unattractive...I truly don't get it.
Right on!

But I do a Jazz/World music radio show - and when I ponder what's making people wealthy on the pop radio charts these days, and consider that the people I think of as geniuses go begging for gigs... I have the same reaction: What the heck is it about so-and-so which makes people throw money?

Film's the same way - there's simply no simple correlation between worth and compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 AM
 
Location: ♥State of the heart♥
1,118 posts, read 4,294,268 times
Reputation: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Can someone tell me why Kate Moss is earning $20 million this year for representing all of these cosmetic and fashion houses when last year she was photographed snorting huge lines of coke? She normally earned $5-$7 million a year before the coke scandal, now she's being rewarded with contracts and huge new contracts and 2006 will be her best earnings year ever... and can someone tell me what they see in her? I find her extremely Unattractive...I truly don't get it.
Neither do I. Very strange...

My 15-yr-old DD likes to watch "America's Top Model" and asked me to watch it with her. I was glad to see that Tyra Banks has gained some weight and is curvy, and quite voluptuous looking. DD and I both remarked that she looks better than ever!

Sadly, DD has a good friend who idolizes the super models, as well as Nicole Richie and has pictures all over her room of these super skinny, unhealthy looking girls. Well, big surprise...this friend became anorexic. The faculty at their small high school is aware of her situation, and have been in contact with her family regarding their concerns and to help in any way they can. Bravo to them.

DD reported to me that her friend now eats a cookie at lunch, where before she would eat nothing. It's a start. It is so scary and sad to think of the messages that the media images give to these young, impressionable girls.

I also remember the super-metabolism days where I could eat anything I wanted and still easily zip up my size 3/4 jeans. My doctor told me back then that he was reading about what happens to a woman's metabolism when she turns 40. It S-L-O-W-S down considerably. Well, it happened. Oh well, "real women have curves!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Neither do I. Very strange...

My 15-yr-old DD likes to watch "America's Top Model" and asked me to watch it with her. I was glad to see that Tyra Banks has gained some weight and is curvy, and quite voluptuous looking. DD and I both remarked that she looks better than ever!

Sadly, DD has a good friend who idolizes the super models, as well as Nicole Richie and has pictures all over her room of these super skinny, unhealthy looking girls. Well, big surprise...this friend became anorexic. The faculty at their small high school is aware of her situation, and have been in contact with her family regarding their concerns and to help in any way they can. Bravo to them.

DD reported to me that her friend now eats a cookie at lunch, where before she would eat nothing. It's a start. It is so scary and sad to think of the messages that the media images give to these young, impressionable girls.

I also remember the super-metabolism days where I could eat anything I wanted and still easily zip up my size 3/4 jeans. My doctor told me back then that he was reading about what happens to a woman's metabolism when she turns 40. It S-L-O-W-S down considerably. Well, it happened. Oh well, "real women have curves!"
I agree with you. I like looking at curvy women too. Tyra Banks is a very attractive woman in my opinion. There are few sights as riveting as a truly feminine woman with curves strutting her stuff down the street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You are welcome to cuddle with me! I like my women to have curves!


Thanks!!! I need to know where Salma Hyack ( sp) shops, although I am not that short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ew shes anorexic and a crack user. I guess the other crack users like her but normal humans dont! Bet shes been in and out of jail too or at least drug rehab.


I cant stand that girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yay! I will personally sign all proposals to ban anorexic models. In fact there should be a weight minimum and even that, if a woman looks too skinny, she wont qualify. Plus models is where the buck used to be and a comeback is being made, even in america!
Where do I sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
944 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
....The other thing that makes me sick is watching my daughters and their friends pick up these magazines and think that that's how we're all supposed to look.
I feel for you, having to watch what they go through. Adolescents and teens are particularly vulnerable to messages about their appearance, what they say, what music they listen to, EVERYTHING about those years is about learning how to be a social creature and it's like boot camp, totally brutal. The fashion industry and magazines that cater to those girls are often unwittingly contributing to the insecurity of the girls in their target audience, and the worst of these businesses actually use psychological research to intentionally exploit and exacerbate teen angst about their appearance, all for the purpose of maximizing profits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, in defense, it's not all bad.
Very true, it's definitely not all bad and clothing catalogs would be almost worthless without someone showing what the clothes look like on an actual human being! And naturally they want to sell their clothes so they want above-average looking models for their clothing. That's all within reason, it's only a problem when twisted minds get involved and figure out ways to beat the competition by ratcheting up the insecurity of consumers, as I already ranted about above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
But, I believe that parents need to be more in control, rather than letting the agencies call all the shots, if their daughters are going to get into modeling.
Unfortunately most parents are not as thoughtful nor do they have as effective an ability to communicate with their attractive teen daughters as you do. Pat yourself on the back for doing a great job of letting your kid have a great experience while helping her stay empowered and not allowing anyone to control her. Ultimately, it's about power.

In fact, a major cause of anorexia is not related to skinny models and social pressures as much as it is to relationships with parents and self-hatred. The anorexics I've known have explained that their ability to control what goes into their mouths is a major sense of power that they used in order to counteract the helplessness and insecurity they felt. Then the anorexia takes on a chemically addictive aspect because food causes bigger serotonin spikes in anorexics, causing them to have panic attacks, leading to them feeling terrified of food altogether. At that point, clinical interventions are sometimes not even enough to stop the horrific cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM
 
872 posts, read 3,223,206 times
Reputation: 465
Like deeptrance I have mixed reactions about this. Government shouldn't tell you how to eat, dress, or work. The industry should regulate itself. imo they would sell more clothes if instead of showing how the clothes look like on hangers show them how they look like on ordinary people. And you have some un-dealt with issues if you find that anorexic-heroin look attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top