U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well I'd rather you use the ignore function. You'll have a better time with that then trying to change someone across the internet that you don't even know. Other then that, everyone on here can read and come to their own conclusions, you're not appointed to do any of that for them.

And for the record most women with half a brain can find "any" man to give her the time of day. Not what I'm talking about and again you don't know me enough to make anything besides assumptions as to whats "held me back" where these matters are concerned.

don't forget that ignore button.
Lol, thanks for the rep, dear. I don't have to change anyone's mind, the fact remains that you're wrong and women who don't fit this minor physical ideal are not at any sort of disadvantage in attracting love. Studies even show that overweight and obese women have sex at the same rate as normal weight women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,581,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Lol, thanks for the rep, dear. I don't have to change anyone's mind, the fact remains that you're wrong and women who don't fit this minor physical ideal are not at any sort of disadvantage in attracting love. Studies even show that overweight and obese women have sex at the same rate as normal weight women.

You can say I'm wrong all you want, oh well. Noted. If you're not trying to change anyone's mind what is the point of telling me all of this then?? Because again, it's a waste of your time and I stand by my opinions on these things, if you think they are wrong, good for you I guess. I am going to feel the same way about this tomorrow, the day after that and so forth. I go off of what I see and have experienced every day of my life and that's good enough for me. Some stranger on the internet telling I'm wrong amounts to about a hill of beans as far as I'm concerned. You can read your studies on whatever and do what you want with them after that, I don't care.

In other words, nothing has changed.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,603,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They do. Tanned skin is in, but not dark dark. Don't ever mistake celebs like Beyonce as a celebration of true black beauty.

As to the previous poster about blondes and blue eyes...have you watched many rom coms lately? The blonde hair blue eye stereotype is outdated.
Hmmm, what exactly do you mean by that bolded statement? How is she not a "true black beauty?" She IS black and arguably, beautiful.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Hmmm, what exactly do you mean by that bolded statement? How is she not a "true black beauty?" She IS black and arguably, beautiful.
Beyonce doesn't have many "black" features and isn't representative of the looks of "most" black women.

Black beauty comes in a variety of shades and types, but the only "beauties" are noted in mainstream media are women that look more like Beyonce (read light skinned and not very black).

Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM

578 posts, read 839,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They do. Tanned skin is in, but not dark dark. Don't ever mistake celebs like Beyonce as a celebration of true black beauty.

As to the previous poster about blondes and blue eyes...have you watched many rom coms lately? The blonde hair blue eye stereotype is outdated.
Hmmmmmm as a blonde haired blue eyed citizen of humanity I find your comments offensive. We are not outdated. No one is. Tan is in .. Again I question the level of intelligence here. Dermatologists have been screaming about melanoma rates. I guess this is reflective of this new society. Stupidity.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,207,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Hmmmmmm as a blonde haired blue eyed citizen of humanity I find your comments offensive. We are not outdated. No one is. Tan is in .. Again I question the level of intelligence here. Dermatologists have been screaming about melanoma rates. I guess this is reflective of this new society. Stupidity.
I am not the OP, but there are trends in beauty, and if you look in fashion/beauty magazines the current ideal is the tan/olive-skinned brunette with frizzy beach curls and side-braids. Before the brunettes were the icy blondes. Currently for Black women, it's all about going natural. Before the natural trend, it was about having silky-straight long hair. For the artsy girls, pastels and candy colored tresses are all over the place. And the cycle continues because that's what trends do.

This is not meant to upset and offend anyone; I'm just talking about beauty trends for what they are and indeed, brunettes are considered to be "in".

Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 PM

169 posts, read 212,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ladies do you or have you ever felt overlooked by men in favor of other women and do you feel that you are at a disadvantage because of your looks, age, personality or other qualities? And finally do you think men are unfair to women by doing that?
Not anymore. In my early 20s I did. I recently (I'm 26) became comfortable in my own skin and embraced myself and all that I encompass..my strengths as well as my struggles. I think for a lot of women this occurs with age. I have a great support system and I feel no desire to gain the approval of everyone else, especially those that bear no relevance or significance in my life.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ladies do you or have you ever felt overlooked by men in favor of other women and do you feel that you are at a disadvantage because of your looks, age, personality or other qualities? And finally do you think men are unfair to women by doing that?
Never felt that way, myself, usually the one being favored. But there is nothing about the issue that should relate to the concept of "fair." We prefer what we prefer. Are you saying men should intentionally lead a woman to believe he likes her over another in the liberal mentality of being somehow "fair?" I don't get that, sorry.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
I am not the OP, but there are trends in beauty, and if you look in fashion/beauty magazines the current ideal is the tan/olive-skinned brunette with frizzy beach curls and side-braids. Before the brunettes were the icy blondes. Currently for Black women, it's all about going natural. Before the natural trend, it was about having silky-straight long hair. For the artsy girls, pastels and candy colored tresses are all over the place. And the cycle continues because that's what trends do.

This is not meant to upset and offend anyone; I'm just talking about beauty trends for what they are and indeed, brunettes are considered to be "in".
redheads forever!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:10 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
redheads forever!
Agreed!! Although, I'm about half gray now... Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty