Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times

Advertisements

Ladies and gentlemen I would like to ask you all. How do you perceive yourself when you look at yourself in a full body mirror? Do find yourself complete and are you satisfied with what you see or are you rather complacent and in peace with yourself? I hear people say that women are never really satisfied with their apperance even the most beauftiful ones and that most men dont really care much about their apperance especially after they get married. What is your situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
I like what I see in the mirror. I'm relatively thin and I like my face. But I enjoy being critical of myself and picking up on flaws and I'm very aware of it. I find women who have physical traits that I would never accept on myself often very attractive.

I feel like confidence in your appearance is held up as some sort of holy grail, in that people feel the need to constantly affirm how in love with themselves and every part of their bodies or face accusations of low self esteem. I think having realistic self image and having high self esteem aren't incompatible. Saying your nose isn't perfect or you would find yourself attractive with fuller lips these days will often prompt people to shout at you, "THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU. YOU ARE JUST FINE THE WAY YOU ARE," as if your next step after that realization will lead you to a closet with a gun pointed to your temple.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I would like to ask you all. How do you perceive yourself when you look at yourself in a full body mirror? Do find yourself complete and are you satisfied with what you see or are you rather complacent and in peace with yourself? I hear people say that women are never really satisfied with their apperance even the most beauftiful ones and that most men dont really care much about their apperance especially after they get married. What is your situation?
This actually sounds like a fun post. Let's see? When I look in the mirror I see someone not too tall, kinda round but workin on it, someone aging slowly which is a good thing. I see these HUGE teal colored eyes with dark lashes...a true blessing from my parents. I am wishing right now my arms and legs were just a tad longer..they seem kinda short..I am 5'3" tall and at my age probably shrinking some, LOL. Just had my hair colored a few weeks back. Wasn't much gray but I did feel adventurous. OOOOOH, where did that big bruise on my arm come from?? Oh, I remember, me and the Pit Bull were playing tug with one of her toys and she let go and I went flying..still a kid at heart!
That's about it, that's me and I'm hoping as I continue to age that things don't start to get all tangled up like a big ball of yarn. Life has been good so far.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
I will admit that I personally am not satisfied with what I see in the mirror at this point. I am however in peace with myself but I also wish some aspects of my appearance were somewhat different. Some I can change and some I can't.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I think it is extremely important to like yourself the way you are, even if there is room for improvement. And it is OK to admit there is room for improvement. But it isn't OK to put your life on hold until you look a certain way.

So many people are trapped with terrible self image and it prevents them from going out, making friends and trying new things. That is really unfortunate.

You only get one body, so you might as well use it as is, while it works.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
i personally don't care enough about this. 'self esteem,' 'self image,' 'self whatever,' it's all crap.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It is interesting for me, when I look in the mirror I am happy with what I see. Yet when I see a picture of myself, I cannot believe how much weight I have gained.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
It depends...am I right in the middle of some raging PMS or have I just run my butt off and sweat something fierce?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It depends...am I right in the middle of some raging PMS or have I just run my butt off and sweat something fierce?
Yep.

But I've seen your pics u r pretty.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:30 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,034 times
I'm built like a tank or brick ****house but am a tad too short at 5' 10". I have too much body hair (according to some women) yet refuse to wax it because "I should". I wish I was five years younger than I am. Time goes by fast. All in all, you can't put a price or self worth on what's "upstairs". It makes you you. I have big feet and hands. They sure aren't soft and well kept. Calluses protect against cuts and scrapes. I look like hell when I get off work, but clean up nicely. I can't wash away the day I had though. It never goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty