U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 AM

659 posts, read 770,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
THE HANDLES, TRIM< ARE REAL LEATHER THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOU ON THE REAL ONES. i own a few VINTAGE PURSES FROM THE 70'S, plus luggage and one vintage steamer, diary/planner, i collect heir catalogs and have most of them. i also have a tennis racquet cover, vintage tv guide holder, mini steamer trunk, make up travel case to name most of my LV collection...SO I KNOW MY LV BABY!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Chill with the caps, makes you look hysterical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,152,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
My best friend bought me a louis vuitton backpack purse. She spent over 1000 on it and claimed louis vuitton is an investment it goes up 30% each year. Looking at my purse I have no idea why it would be so expensive, it's not even leather!! Could someone here educted me about the joys of owning a louis vuitton purse?
They actually do go up in price. I am not sure if the markup is that high though.

My mom purchased me a Speedy bag for my 21st birthday. I love the bag to death and have had it for 5 years!

I foolishly put it too close to the iron and burned the outside of it.

I went back to the store and asked them if they could repair it and they said no. I would have to get a new purse altogether.

I asked the price of the new purse, and it is now approximately $795. When my mom purchased it, it was only $650.

The prices do go up.

I don't know why though. I guess keeping up with the demand, or lack thereof.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

26,885 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not necessarily. Money is different value to different people. An upper middle class person who makes, say, $350,000, doesn't really understand that $1000 is a lot more than $100 because they live on a different scale. It's not that they are trying to impress, it's just the scale on which they spend on. Conversely, a poor person thinks $200 is a lot more than $100 because they live on a smaller scale. It's all perception based on available resources.
The OP mentioned that this woman buys each of her friends an LV purse, a very specific item. It doesn't sound like anyone wanted an LV purse, she just wanted to buy them. A little different than treating a friend because you like them.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,432,964 times
I would never fathom spending that much money on a bag and I'd be tempted to sell it if someone gave it to me.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 PM

944 posts, read 1,368,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Chill with the caps, makes you look hysterical.

then stop saying there is no leather when there is! that is what I AM TALKING ABOUT!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,963,571 times
Nothing really wrong with Vuitton. The same sort of people who wear Rolex watches and drive BMWs (or want to) have Vuitton (or want to). Vuitton has it's own lore... was chic among the true elites back when people were traversing the Atlantic on luxury liners. The American Public became aware of it in the 1970s, when the first big Gay novel (Dancer From the Dance) made the Bestseller List. One of the principal characters, a WASP aristocrat, had traveled with his Grandmother's ancient Vuitton luggage (as with Volvos, back then, the older and more beat-up your Vuitton, the more an 'insider' you were judged to be). Suddenly, Country Queens were going on about 'Wee-tawnt' (In Jackson, Mississippi- a place where French is butchered even worse than in New Orleans - they were still carrying-on about LV in the late 80s, when we moved there from college. I'll never forget this giant Mediterranean White creature who'd grown up in Yazoo City, next door to Jerry Clower...and who sounded just like I imagine Jerry Clower's Mama sounded... rushing up to our cringing Decorator at the Deli, gushing on about his new 'Wee-tawnt' finds. "Just in time for my trip to Nantucket!" I'm assuming the trip was a delusion. For the sake of Rhode Islanders, I hope it was all in his head...). Anyway, Sorority Suzies copied their trend-setting gay cousins in collecting LV... and the trend sort of spread downward to the sorority ineligible from there...

To recap: Well-worn Vuitton luggage, like ancient Volvos, once marked a person as being one of the Intelligentsia... WASPy.... Upper Middle Class... From 'good stock'.... New Englandy Well-traveled... "Very Ritz Bar, when in Paris"... But then the general public caught on, and the brand went from being exclusive to being merely expensive.

My current assessment of LV comes from this vignette. Someone who'd done technical drawing for the construction documents for one of our houses came by the building site, wife in-tow. She was from a foreign country. This is a gal who controls her hunky white hubby totally...choosing the cars... taking his money and keeping him on a ridiculous budget (he's gorgeous and nice, and so his life is scrutinized...). Anyway, they'd saved-up to buy one of those retro Mustangs. You know, those awful things that scream "I'm a total piece of scum!"...with the loud mufflers and tacky...well...tacky everything. And Wifey-poo has one of those multicolored LV purses. She seemed surprised, when I qvelled over it, and said I didn't know they made Louis Vuitton in colors, now. My impression from her response is that it was a fake; that she didn't know anything about the lore of the real thing; and that she was simply doing what the rest of her peer group was doing. Her peer group, apparently, also pay extra to have cars with loud mufflers. In my mind, that's where LV stands, in socioeconomic terms, today.

What's worrying me, though, is your friend's buying one of those purses for each of her friends. That's very nice... unless you're being groomed for something. Specifically, I'm worried that maybe...possibly... you're being groomed for 'human trafficking' of some sort. I mean, is this someone you know really well? A thousand bucks isn't what it used to be. Still, that's sort of pricey as a gift...

________

Oh, and in case you're wondering who Jerry Clower was... THIS creature was the next-door neighbor of the creature bragging about his/her new pieces of "Leewie Wee-tawnt". (and that was a quarter-century ago...back when the brand still had a bit of cachet). Jerry Clower - A Coon Huntin Story - YouTube

Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 PM

GrandviewGloria. Great post ......... and I own a vintage steamer that I turned into a coffee table and its deff a conversation piece. You can tell it has traveled a great deal if it could only talk about its travels.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
GrandviewGloria. Great post ......... and I own a vintage steamer that I turned into a coffee table and its deff a conversation piece. You can tell it has traveled a great deal if it could only talk about its travels.
I want to ask the price of the steamer, but then again, I don't...

Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I want to ask the price of the steamer, but then again, I don't...
I paid 12k for it in 2006

Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I paid 12k for it in 2006
Wow! So the price in 2012 is approximately $15K i'm sure (If not more).

That's a beautiful piece of luggage that I'm sure will last a lifetime, and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty