U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM

948 posts, read 1,371,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Didn't know that was legal. I'll have to look twice now when someone is carrying a LV purse.
It's not legal. It's theft of intellectual property and if you follow the money it's tied to/supports human trafficking, sweat shops, organized crime, and terrorism. It ends up inflating the retail prices for the real articles and deflating resale prices. It also takes away decent jobs for hard working skilled, semi-skilled workers.

The Feds are the ones who have to enforce it- state and local law enforcement are not well educated abot the problem. The feds are outnumbered so they tend to focus on going after manufacturers and middle distributors first then the individual seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 AM

484 posts, read 692,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
It's not legal. It's theft of intellectual property and if you follow the money it's tied to/supports human trafficking, sweat shops, organized crime, and terrorism. It ends up inflating the retail prices for the real articles and deflating resale prices. It also takes away decent jobs for hard working skilled, semi-skilled workers.

The Feds are the ones who have to enforce it- state and local law enforcement are not well educated abot the problem. The feds are outnumbered so they tend to focus on going after manufacturers and middle distributors first then the individual seller.
many work for the actual companies and send materials and designs to china to recreate bags that look identical.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 AM

49 posts, read 117,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Why anyone would spend anything over 200. for a purse, bag or what ever you call them is beyond me.

LV products are ugly, doesn't impress me. the brown and gold logo is ugly.

To me it says:

Hi, I'm an idiot, I like to spend an exorborant amount of money for a product with some ones else's name on it.

ok, If that makes you feel better.

doens t do squat for me
Taste is not given. Taste is formed.
Ugliness is very subjective. However I would assume it is not appropriate to call smth ugly unless you're an expert in this field.
It's like saying "Picasso paintings are ugly" only becuase your art experience primarily is based on the pics of your friends on Facebook.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 PM

525 posts, read 918,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Your friend is wrong. Louis Vuitton prices go up once sometimes more a year but the resale value doesn't go up unless it is a very rare limited edition item.
As far as vintage -if it was made in the USA for Louis Vuitton by The French Company in California during the 70s it is not as collectiblr as Louis Vuitton that was made in the US BY Louis Vuitton for Louis Vuitton-that happened around 1990 ish.The best is Louis made in France but Louis is also made in Spain.
Price wise it is because it is made by hand by craftspeople who have generally worked for LV for decades. Like any luxury item the cost reflects more than the item itself. Louis boutiques are beautiful and have high end displays that change often. Also many special events by invitation only to good customers. Also very,very nice GWP if you spend enough. The packaging of LV is pretty wonderful -the boxes last for years.The catalogues are pretty luxurious.It is about the whole experience. I know I think it is pretty cool to get a Thank You card on LV stationary from my Sales Associate after I have bought something.Personal service is part of the cost.
Now the luxury brands are importing Chinese cheap laborers to Italy,France, etc. so that the companies can still stamp the Made in Italy, France, etc. Sad but a lot of luxury items DO NOT have the same craftspeople and their families who have worked for them for years making the so called luxury items anymore. So they too are becoming nothing more than your typical Wal-mart sweat shop items but with a high price tag.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 PM

948 posts, read 1,371,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Now the luxury brands are importing Chinese cheap laborers to Italy,France, etc. so that the companies can still stamp the Made in Italy, France, etc. Sad but a lot of luxury items DO NOT have the same craftspeople and their families who have worked for them for years making the so called luxury items anymore. So they too are becoming nothing more than your typical Wal-mart sweat shop items but with a high price tag.
That;s because the trade is dying in Europe. No one wants to apprentice anymore.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,797,514 times
Personally, I can't handle any luxury brand or even a decent brand with their logo plastered all over it. Just off-putting to me. I love luxury items and I am saving to buy a Hermes bag by December (cash only for me!). The quality is amazing and the style is simple and classic. I plan on getting a Marwari bag since it seems casual to me and more my style-- I don't care for the Bollide, Birkin, Kelly, or Constance--- too formal and stodgy-- and also too well "known."

At any rate, I get the history of LV luggage-- you can see ole Mrs Vanderbuilt's collection at the Biltmore

But I think the pattern is ugly, drab, and I feel I should get a discount for being a walking advertisement.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,940,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Didn't know that was legal. I'll have to look twice now when someone is carrying a LV purse.

It is not legal. Fake Vuitton is all over the internet. Either just buy from the boutique or make a point to educate yourself with the real think. Ioffer is bad news.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
LV is tacky, gaudy, flashy...and the colors are not special.

With all of that said...your back pack is cute and the only LV product I ever have seen that I think is cute. Did you pick it out or did she?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My sister had a "friend" like the OPs. She only called here when she wanted free dinner.

I am all for "being nice" and treating your friends, but this friendship seems a little off to me if it revolves around her taking her friends shopping and buying them expensive "tokens of appreciation" all the time.

It sounds very lucrative for her "friends". Isn't it more logical to buy experiences and not clothing to "treat" your friends?
If I were her friend I would turn down the gift, out of both respect for the friendship and respect for myself. I would tell her that I value the relationship and that she should give the money to charity if she felt the need to give. It would be embarrassing for me to accept something that I could not afford to buy myself. I don't care how wealthy the other person was.

If I had the money and bought such gifts for people, whether it were the case or not, I would always have that little nagging suspicion that they hung around with me because of the gifts. If someone turned me down and were still my friend I would consider that a very special relationship.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
It is not legal. Fake Vuitton is all over the internet. Either just buy from the boutique or make a point to educate yourself with the real think. Ioffer is bad news.
Yep. Selling counterfeit merchasdise is definitely illegal.

San Jose Woman Indicted for Selling Fake Louis Vuitton Bags | NBC Bay Area

N.J. officials charge 29 in counterfeit goods ring

Five men arrested for selling counterfeit luxury purses, shoes, watches and hats - Baltimore Sun

Huge Counterfeit Operation Busted At LA Port
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty