Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,501 times

Advertisements

My best friend bought me a louis vuitton backpack purse. She spent over 1000 on it and claimed louis vuitton is an investment it goes up 30% each year. Looking at my purse I have no idea why it would be so expensive, it's not even leather!! Could someone here educted me about the joys of owning a louis vuitton purse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
People are paying for a logo or brand name, which doesn't always mean better quality.
I think they also control the manufacturing of the product, so there aren't massive amounts of a certain purse, pair of shoes, etc. (which also adds to the worth).

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
My best friend bought me a louis vuitton backpack purse. She spent over 1000 on it and claimed louis vuitton is an investment it goes up 30% each year. Looking at my purse I have no idea why it would be so expensive, it's not even leather!! Could someone here educted me about the joys of owning a louis vuitton purse?

if its not leather then its not real. LV does not go up in value fact you can get a lot of vintage LV that are below the price it was orig sold from the 70's etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
if its not leather then its not real. LV does not go up in value fact you can get a lot of vintage LV that are below the price it was orig sold from the 70's etc.

I was with her, we bought it at a LV store in Cherry Creek Mall Denver Co. It's real.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
People are paying for a logo or brand name, which doesn't always mean better quality.
I think they also control the manufacturing of the product, so there aren't massive amounts of a certain purse, pair of shoes, etc. (which also adds to the worth).
You're right. Personally I think they are ugly but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. She buys one for each of her friends.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I was with her, we bought it at a LV store in Cherry Creek Mall Denver Co. It's real.
you're the one who said its not leather not ME if its not leather its not real if you were with her and she bought it in LV then its leather and real.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You're right. Personally I think they are ugly but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. She buys one for each of her friends.

Sell it on ebay or consignment shop but what you really should do is tell her you like something else sure she would like to buy you someting you like then something you dont like

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
Quote:

Your friend is wrong. Louis Vuitton prices go up once sometimes more a year but the resale value doesn't go up unless it is a very rare limited edition item.
As far as vintage -if it was made in the USA for Louis Vuitton by The French Company in California during the 70s it is not as collectiblr as Louis Vuitton that was made in the US BY Louis Vuitton for Louis Vuitton-that happened around 1990 ish.The best is Louis made in France but Louis is also made in Spain.
Price wise it is because it is made by hand by craftspeople who have generally worked for LV for decades. Like any luxury item the cost reflects more than the item itself. Louis boutiques are beautiful and have high end displays that change often. Also many special events by invitation only to good customers. Also very,very nice GWP if you spend enough. The packaging of LV is pretty wonderful -the boxes last for years.The catalogues are pretty luxurious.It is about the whole experience. I know I think it is pretty cool to get a Thank You card on LV stationary from my Sales Associate after I have bought something.Personal service is part of the cost.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Some people just respect fashion and everyone has their own taste. With a gift, it's always the thought that counts. It's certainly better if you like it, but you can't always win on that one. I wouldn't say it's an investment in terms of direct appreciation (as she implies) and it does cost more than traditional purses, but it's still only just a $1000.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
you're the one who said its not leather not ME if its not leather its not real if you were with her and she bought it in LV then its leather and real.

It depends. Your basic LV handbag in brown and gold monogram is made of a specially treated canvas. The handles are vachetta leather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty