U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,868,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I personally hate sandals. They look terrible, and their functionality is 0, except in rare instances.

What happens when you know, you need to run, push a car, help something, lift something, etc. Just hope for no emergency situations.

Simply pack a pair of shoes for such manly emergencies. I usually leave a pair of sneakers in my car for horse related emergencies as well. I'm not going to never wear sandals just in case I stumble upon an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM

10,160 posts, read 18,142,618 times
I'm a retired boilermaker out'a Local 1 in Chicago. I made my living wearing Redwings and my tough guy credentials are still in good order. I wear sandles whenever it's warm enough, Tevas and others with good support. No flip flops though.

One thing I've noticed since retiring, while idling on park benches by the Lake smoking cigars, is that flip flops make women's butts stick out when they walk, like Barbara Bach in that movie Caveman. Interesting.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,009,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Of course you can do the things mentioned, but make two equal people race, one in shoes/sneakers and one in sandals, the outcome is obvious. I've pushed a car in loose sneakers, equivalent of sandals vs. tight and it is a massive difference.

For any sort of movement outside a sandbox, sandals are not optimal.
Do you run and push cars often while out at stores and restaurants?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,575,350 times
My husband who is already 40 still wears sandals in the summer.

I love men who wear white linen trousers with sandals.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,937,376 times
I don't like anyone in flip flops --- male or female, young or old.

As for sandals? I see nothing wrong with a male wearing sandals. As long as your feet aren't gross, hairy, dirty, etc!!

I remember one time, I was at the cable store. I was sitting in a chair, waiting for my number to be called. The guy who was currently being waited on had on sandals but he had the grossest feet I had ever seen. He was thin and his feet were pasty white and bony. He had these long bent up toes with the 2nd toe being about an inch longer than the big toe. If that wasn't bad enough, he had black hair and his toes were all hairy on top. Yes, like a train wreck, I couldn't help but look. However, this was a few years ago and it STILL grosses me out to this day!!!!! I can still see those hairy toes! LOL!!

Sooooo, with that being said, wear sandals!!!! It's too hot in the summer to have your feet confined to shoes/sneakers and socks!!! Just consider others before you put them on: Shave off any toe hair. Take a pumice stone to your heels. Moisturize your feet.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 AM

2,243 posts, read 2,318,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
IF a person ends up having to push a car while wearing sandals -- I suppose that person would manage.

Personally, if I ended up pushing a car -- I'd have other worries besides that fact than I happened to be wearing sandals that day.

In Hawaii I pushed my POS Jeep in Filp Flops all the time. No problem. Or just take them off and go barefoot. I did roll my Jeep over my foot while pushing it once- did kinda hurt.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM

12,937 posts, read 24,071,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm a retired boilermaker out'a Local 1 in Chicago. I made my living wearing Redwings and my tough guy credentials are still in good order. I wear sandles whenever it's warm enough, Tevas and others with good support. No flip flops though.

One thing I've noticed since retiring, while idling on park benches by the Lake smoking cigars, is that flip flops make women's butts stick out when they walk, like Barbara Bach in that movie Caveman. Interesting.
That's because you have to kind of curl your toes a wee bit to keep from walking right out of the dam things.
Flip flops alter the way you naturally walk, one of the reasons they are bad to wear on a constant basis...yet I change right into them when I get home from work.

As far as o/p's question...wear what you are comfortable in..and no flip flops or sandals on men are not prissy imo..

Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,326,651 times
When I was a kid living by a lake and close to nature...Once summer started and school was out...we got rid of our shoes and went bare foot...it was hot...and it was the right thing to do. Your feet would callous up and you would have natural shoes to fit the climate...As an adult if I am out of the city - I still don't wear shoes if I can. Wearing sandals is the next best thing..Why bind up your feet in socks and shoes when it is 100 degrees out? It's not silly to wear sandals...but you should get the nice high tech ones --- flip flops or slip on sandals do not cut it...also- groom your feet...keep them clean - cut those damned toe nails and never wear socks with sandals unless you are a total nerd.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,846,342 times
You're crazy. They are made for and worn by both sexes. If they make you feel comfortable, then wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty