U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I have not been anywhere near as remotely gender-conformist obsessed as the US. I have never been to Australia though, but from what I've read, it seems more European on its outlook.
America is more culturally influenced by the US than Europe. The whole 'speedos are gay' thing I only learnt from the internet. Speedos aren't generally worn by the young just to the beach unless they're lifesavers or competitive swimmers, but plenty of older blokes still sport them, and I never thought of them as 'gay' although I know some see them as unfashionable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 AM

5,528 posts, read 8,184,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
America is more culturally influenced by the US than Europe. The whole 'speedos are gay' thing I only learnt from the internet. Speedos aren't generally worn by the young just to the beach unless they're lifesavers or competitive swimmers, but plenty of older blokes still sport them, and I never thought of them as 'gay' although I know some see them as unfashionable.
In the US, there is an ever-growing list of things considered 'gay.' It's become our own perverse brand of Talibanism. At the rate we're going, the men in our society will have to wear burkahs at some point not to be considered 'gay.' We're not supposed to wear shorts that come above the knee, and some think men shouldn't wear shorts at all. Somebody might see the hair on our legs, after all. Then there's the sandals thing. I guess we can't show our feet either. What's next?

It's so ridiculous that it would be laughable if so many people, including a lot of men, didn't seem to fall for it.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:54 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,364,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would wear a speedo myself for practical (swimming) purposes. I don't get the whole "gay" thing. In France, they are practically compulsory. Each to their own is what I say. Much better than those god-awful board shorts or those baggy/loose swimming trunks that just absorb half the swimming pool and are not sensible or comfortable to swim in.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I HAD to weigh in on this one! My biggest pet peeve in life-aside from lemurs-is men wearing flippies or sandals! Just say no!
Yes, it's a bit prissy, but not just that. Most men do not take care of their feet, don't get pedis, I hate to even get started on the toenail situation...so please just get some awesome boat shoes or tennies.

It's also hard to take a guy seriously if he is wearing them. Please don't look like you are a kid on the playground.

The only exception, and it's marginal, is the beach proper. Not the park, please not hiking...only the beach. And for the love of God-no socks with sandals for those of you who won't listen.
And if you judge a man by what he has on his feet instead of what he has between his ears, then I pity you. You may have missed knowing a great person.

But I agree, tennis shoes of some sort are a better choice. Not just for looks, but usually it's a better shoe for walking, etc.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 AM

526 posts, read 704,688 times
around here there'd be no question...you wear Keens.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:39 PM

944 posts, read 1,365,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman45 View Post
My cousin said that flip flops and sandals are the way to go in the summer, even for guys. I know they are popular with college students but I am in my 30sThey're comfortable, they're cool...but can't help but feel slightly silly or feminine wearing them. Am I crazy or does it take time to get used to them?

I see a lot of men of all ages wearing flip flops and sandles. I see way to many senior citzens with white socks and sandals.........wayyyyyyyyyyy to many ...... i notice a lot of young an old asian men who wear socks and flip flops an it looks painful to see aperson with flip flops push that thong between their socked toes.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,364,839 times
I don't get the whole sock / sandal thing. Isn't the purpose of wearing sandals & flip flops to keep your feet cool? It's like wearing a t-shirt over a sweater...pointless!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I HAD to weigh in on this one! My biggest pet peeve in life-aside from lemurs-is men wearing flippies or sandals! Just say no!
Yes, it's a bit prissy, but not just that. Most men do not take care of their feet, don't get pedis, I hate to even get started on the toenail situation...so please just get some awesome boat shoes or tennies.

It's also hard to take a guy seriously if he is wearing them. Please don't look like you are a kid on the playground.

The only exception, and it's marginal, is the beach proper. Not the park, please not hiking...only the beach. And for the love of God-no socks with sandals for those of you who won't listen.
Thought i was the only one who felt that way, was at the mall today and it was downright disgusting as to the number of people wearing sandals and flip flops displaying their ugly stinking deformed feet,is it too much trouble to put on some socks and more substantial footwear when out in public.
Then theres that other group of people mostly men who frequent beaches in dress shorts with shiny black dress shoes and knee high black nylon dress socks,for those guys hey nows the time to wear the ugly flip flops.
As for socks and sandals? just No

Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
What straight man cares what another man wears???

I'm on the other "team", and I don't even care.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM

72,633 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Is that what this thread is about? Sandals on men supposedly is gay? When did someone decide that? Men have always worn sturdy leather sandals in warm weather, or even mildly cool weather. At least in California they have. Without socks. I've seen them worn in winter with wool socks by a certain demographic--casual dressers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty