U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM

26,892 posts, read 28,195,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Wow...that's very unprofessional. I don't care if someone wants to wear a halter top on their own time, but there's no way I'd ever dress unprofessionally to work, especially if I had a great position in corporate America
I used to work in a casual-ish office. Casual as dictated by the CEO. He was slacker in his clothing choices. A dress day meant he wore a polo, khakis, and keen sandals. Most days that polo was replaced by a tradeshow t-shirt. (He did step it up a notch when he started to only wear company logo t's)

The company at some point instituted a dress code. Business casual, with casual on Fridays. But at this place, women almost exclusively worked in the "front" and men almost exclusively worked in the "warehouse."

So the warehouse workers were allowed to wear jeans and t-shirts. The woman who was the "warehouse supervisor," but worked in an office, used this as an excuse to wear t-shirts, hoodies and baggy jeans. I worked there for about 5 years and never saw her in a more feminine outfit. I don't think she ever wore them, but she was above the rules.

Someone in my department, marketing, decided to follow the warehouse rules and wore his casual outfit -- a polo and jeans. Like all men of his age (22 at the time) he wore really baggy jeans. And he got "talked to" about not dressing appropriately for the dress code. Keep in mind, on regular days this guy wore dress pants, a button down and a tie -- far more formal than anyone else in the office.

Double standards...yes.

**after a few months, he was allowed to wear his baggy jeans, once the CEO and CFO decided he was actually a good guy and a hard worker. While wearing baggy jeans, they thought it was proof of his perceived laziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM

721 posts, read 2,582,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree. I don't get the lack of dress code for women in some offices. The bank tellers in my town wear tops with too much hanging out. I prefer the old days when bank tellers wore suits. At the very least, the women should have to wear button-up blouses or something, like the equivalent of a business shirt. The older ones do. One teller who also is a loan officer wore some top one day that looked like a nightie. You could see everything flopping around in there.

I've also worked in a university office that hired student help. No dress code there, for anyone. One student would come in wearing T-shirts, but slightly lower on the neck than usual, so his chest hair was kind of crawling out the top of it. Very distracting. There should be a rule in all offices: no cleavage, no chest hair. Puh-LEASE!
totally agree with you. in work settings guys often have to wear suits, ties, button up shirts or at the very least kalkis. women are allowed to wear flip flops and yes flip flops not just dressy open toed shoes. some women let way too much skin show. some women wear tight stretchy pants like just bc they are black it makes them dressy even though its what some women will wear to the gym or even bed. def a double standard with dress code

Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
totally agree with you. in work settings guys often have to wear suits, ties, button up shirts or at the very least kalkis. women are allowed to wear flip flops and yes flip flops not just dressy open toed shoes. some women let way too much skin show. some women wear tight stretchy pants like just bc they are black it makes them dressy even though its what some women will wear to the gym or even bed. def a double standard with dress code

but it is always the fat girls that wear flip flop, the fat girls that are always hot, wear the flip flops.
we have one in our office.....always hot, wears the off the shoulder bubble blouses, really gross, flip flops all the time.................gross., totally gross

guys get hot too....

Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 PM

26,892 posts, read 28,195,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but it is always the fat girls that wear flip flop, the fat girls that are always hot, wear the flip flops.
we have one in our office.....always hot, wears the off the shoulder bubble blouses, really gross, flip flops all the time.................gross., totally gross

guys get hot too....

Really? Flip flops are only worn by "fat girls."

How about young women. They tend to think flipflops are appropriate for all occasions. That just makes no sense.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:19 PM

10,182 posts, read 16,748,016 times
I'll consider a looser dress code a small consolation prize for the fact that men still make more money than women for the same jobs.

GAO Report: Why Women Still Make Less than Men

Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,279 times
Most reports now show that young women are earning more than men in the same positions. Search for "young women making more than men".

A couple posts said that women usually know how to dress appropriately so they don't need a dress code. Most of the other posts prove that's not the case.

There's no doubt a male-only dress code is a double-standard. It unfairly places restrictions on only men. It's also a sexist policy that also unfairly objectifies both women and men. Male-only dress codes allow women to dress provocatively (which appeals to men because most men appreciate the female form) and force men to dress up (which appeals to women since most middle-aged women like clothes more than they appreciate the male form).

Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,105,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree. I don't get the lack of dress code for women in some offices. The bank tellers in my town wear tops with too much hanging out. I prefer the old days when bank tellers wore suits. At the very least, the women should have to wear button-up blouses or something, like the equivalent of a business shirt. The older ones do. One teller who also is a loan officer wore some top one day that looked like a nightie. You could see everything flopping around in there....
I live in southern Europe and there is definitely a conservative dress code in force in my bank. All men wear dress shirts, ties and jackets. The women wear suits or outfits with a cardigan sweater as a "jacket." I have no doubt what would happen to anyone who did not show up dressed appropriately: they would be told to go home and dress in the correct attire, and their pay would be docked for the amount of time it took them to return to work dressed appropriately. And this I got straight from my female personal banker.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
*** DRESSY Jeans OK NO Torn or Distressed Jeans
Otherwise Gentlemen: Dress Slacks, Polo Shirt with Collar, Dress Shirts, NO T-Shirts (Any Shirt without a Collar is a T-Shirt). No Plaid or Lumberjack looking shirts. NO Cargo Pants, NO SNEAKERS or Hats.
Some of the nicest shirts I own do not have collars. Collalrs suck and are uncomfortable.

I'm sure it's already been stated but the fact is many of us men don't really care about this dressing well thing. This notice is aimed directly at people like myself. I would probably go to this thing and be sure to break every rule possible and while I don't own any jeans with holes in them I would make some, preferably so my underwear showed.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Really? Flip flops are only worn by "fat girls."

How about young women. They tend to think flipflops are appropriate for all occasions. That just makes no sense.
yes they wear them too, not all of them

BUT, it is ALWAYS THE FAT WOMEN that wear them, they are always hot and always wear flip flops, and I think it is totally in-appropriate for office wear, i dont care what anyone says. Wear shoes like men do, it isnt that difficult.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM

21,496 posts, read 22,741,215 times
My sister is in charge of enforcing the dress code for her team of employees and she says she has the worst time with flip flops. The younger women say that they're not flip flops if they're leather and beaded/decorated, etc, so sister then had to say that all shoes needed to have a back strap around the heel. She's thinking of not allowing exposed toes at all next summer.

I usually wear flats or wedges, because I've always thought that exposed feet were too casual for the office, and I sometimes have to climb ladders and carry boxes. Apparently I've got the work shoes of a woman twice my age.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-14-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty