U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,015,549 times

Advertisements

If you make 100k boarding then go for it. If its a hobby then...well...maybe you should consider others. I'm in my 40s and my friends are all well past their skate thrash days. Hard to keep an alternative edge with a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
I have no problem with middle age people skateboarding. But part of growing up is learning to dress like an adult.... (I feel the same way about women who wear club clothes all the time, people who are sagging their pants, etc...)

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 AM

21 posts, read 38,660 times
I think a lot of these 40+yr old men were OG skating pioneers, holding on to their youth. No biggie!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
i have a mid 30s friend who skates and dresses in reggae clothes. i was shocked at first but thats only because i knew him as the go to church 3 times a week type and had no clue he liked reggae. i just shrugged and said oh well. he's one of the nicest guys ive ever known and im not going to judge him or anyone else based upon what clothes they wear and i dont believe his wife of over 15 years cares what clothes he wears either. We are all told that its what is on the inside that counts but a lot of ppl just cant seem to grasp that.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i have a mid 30s friend who skates and dresses in reggae clothes.
What are "reggae clothes?"

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,650,586 times
In reply to the OP - I like it a lot, actually.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What are "reggae clothes?"
Think 'Bob Marley'- Rastafarian type stuff. Tie dye, multi-stripe, headbands, etc

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 35,512 times
They're not dead. Get over what you think is age appropriate.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 AM

124 posts, read 178,759 times
Lightbulb Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Am I just old-fashioned, or is it a turn-off to women to see 40-ish, or worse, grey-haired guys dressing in all black skateboard clothes, or even carrying a skateboard with them? I don't mind regular shorts and t-shirt, but this boardie uniform seems really out of place after a certain age. I've seen guys in this garb try to pick up women in business suits. It doesn't go over well. Is the idea of more or less age-appropriate clothing passe? Is there a psychology about this, is it an attempt to recapture, or cling desparately to a faded youth? Or just personal preference? What to the ladies think, have you run into this phenomenon?
you have to realize first that a lot of professional skateboarders/extreme sports guys are already in their 30's. sometimes mid to late 30's too. so if a dude is early 40's still with the same clothes, i'm not suprised. and who knows, some "professional" girls may have a thing for skateboarders. you never know what people are drawn to or why they're drawn to them.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM

4,742 posts, read 7,535,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is the idea of more or less age-appropriate clothing passe? Is there a psychology about this, is it an attempt to recapture, or cling desparately to a faded youth? Or just personal preference? What to the ladies think, have you run into this phenomenon?
I see a whole lot of women doing the same thing, by the way.

I think part of the problem is FINDING clothes that are between teen fad-wear and middle-aged frump. They don't seem to cater to this age group very well. Even my 20 year old son has a terrible time finding clothes. He no longer WANTS to sear the skater-dude clothes, or the hip-hop look, but at the same time, neither is he ready to look like he's ready to step out on the golf course in pastel and polyester, or wears stupid T-shirt with smarty-butt sayings or deer/fish all over them. This is what we find are the choices at most department store.

The men that look the best to me in this age group, seem to aim for a semi-rugged "outdoorsy" look I think, and shop at stores that cater to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty