U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,202,210 times

Advertisements

So just for clairification, what is the "skater look"?

Images below of well known pro skaters
Spike Jonze Girls Video "Mouse" - Rick Howard in the woods | CLDFX

Woodward West Skate Blog: 2009-08-02

Stevie Williams: Kick, Push | Visionary Artistry Magazine

If you don't know anything about skateboard culture, just shut up and listen. Don't talk, don't type. You just look foolish. Skaters have all sorts of styles. And they vary as much as the individuals who ride their boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
I think it all depends on how and where you grew up, I grew up in the skateboard culture since a child and still skate in my 40's, if you still have the capability's and health at an older age than use it to your advantage, skateboarding is very beneficial for the mind and body just as tennis or any other sport, skateboarding just has never inherited the credit it truly deserves to be considered an active sport, and it seems all the ones who knock older people for continuing their art are the same one's who can't even stand on a skateboard.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM

484 posts, read 588,103 times
Ok so I am familiar with "mom jeans" but dad jeans? I did a google search for dad jeans and ok, so they look similar, but what are non-dad jeans? Just a dark rinse, tailored fit?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I hate to see men of any age walking down the street in a football top.. or a baseball cap round the wrong way trying to be cool...not.... sunglasses tucked down the front of their t shirts.. and those long shorts or short longs. whatever they are...
Lol@"Short-longs"... That's funny to me too, because here in Sactown, I see a lot of 40-ish and up guys with doo-rags under flat-brimmed backward baseball caps, wearing these really baggy 'shorts' that stop just above the socks with extra lonng t-shirts that end down past the knees. They look like grannies in mu-mu's and cool-outs. Sorry Hip-hop Nation. I guess I too am too old school to get what's hip about that look.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Am I just old-fashioned, or is it a turn-off to women to see 40-ish, or worse, grey-haired guys dressing in all black skateboard clothes, or even carrying a skateboard with them? I don't mind regular shorts and t-shirt, but this boardie uniform seems really out of place after a certain age. I've seen guys in this garb try to pick up women in business suits. It doesn't go over well. Is the idea of more or less age-appropriate clothing passe? Is there a psychology about this, is it an attempt to recapture, or cling desparately to a faded youth? Or just personal preference? What to the ladies think, have you run into this phenomenon?
Agree! I know a guy over 40 who dresses like this. He actually owns the town skateboard shop/park. I have a hard time taking him seriously with his DC shirt, sideways cap, long board shorts, big bright skater shoes... LOL. I'm sure he has to dress the part when behind the counter, but I'm hoping he goes home afterwards and puts on an age-appropriate business suit!

He does relate very well to his customers (e.g. my 12 y.o. son and his friends) and seems to be a very good role model - he gives them free passes for good report cards, asks about their homework, etc. He seems like a great guy - who strangely dresses exactly like my 12 y.o.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,646 times
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this 'age appropriate' term means. Does it mean that at 40 you have to stop having fun skating and start wearing Dockers with Oxford shirts and loafers? Is that what it means? Or should this happen at at 35? What's the age exactly, and what is this age appropriate look that some people here keep edifying?

Anyone that believes that they have to somehow 'act their age' are doing just that: Acting.

I'm 44, have been skating since I was 7 (1977), and I won't stop until I can't walk anymore. This is me; there is no 'acting' my age. I am my age, and I am who I am. I love to skate; it's an amazing form of exercise; it keeps my mind focused; it connects my mind, eyes and other senses with my body so that they work in harmony to flow along the concrete waves; it gives me something to look forward to doing with my sons every day; skating has style and credibility; it brings me joy.

I'm so glad I never turned into a stuffy old geezer like many of you on this thread, talking about 'acting' to fulfill other people's expectations of you. You can have that crap, I'll skate, be in shape, and love the connection it brings me to my sons, and my body. I'm sure most of those people are the same one's that I see at the parks sitting on the bench staring at their iphones while their children are begging for them to come and play with them, but it's not 'age appropriate', so they tell their kids to go play and continue on with their pointless Facebook posting.

I'm so glad I read this, because now I'm going to go order a new Santa Cruz Skateboard T-shirt from Skate Warehouse with some of my $80K+/year salary!! Stoked!!

BTW....why do people never seem to look at surfers in the same way? Aren't they just as ridiculous and immature going out in the waves to ride a board?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,576,329 times
I think there is often a syndrome in males where they think they are still the same exact person they were at 18 even though they are (say) 45 years old. I heard Larry King comment about this once. He said, (paraphrase) "in my mind I'm still 17 years old." I suspect this is probably pretty common. Especially so if the guy is involved in sport of some kind, is pretty good, and can still get the best of many a 20-something or 30-something into his 40's or even 50's.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 AM

2,766 posts, read 1,672,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCShredder View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this 'age appropriate' term means. Does it mean that at 40 you have to stop having fun skating and start wearing Dockers with Oxford shirts and loafers? Is that what it means? Or should this happen at at 35? What's the age exactly, and what is this age appropriate look that some people here keep edifying?

Anyone that believes that they have to somehow 'act their age' are doing just that: Acting.

I'm 44, have been skating since I was 7 (1977), and I won't stop until I can't walk anymore. This is me; there is no 'acting' my age. I am my age, and I am who I am. I love to skate; it's an amazing form of exercise; it keeps my mind focused; it connects my mind, eyes and other senses with my body so that they work in harmony to flow along the concrete waves; it gives me something to look forward to doing with my sons every day; skating has style and credibility; it brings me joy.

I'm so glad I never turned into a stuffy old geezer like many of you on this thread, talking about 'acting' to fulfill other people's expectations of you. You can have that crap, I'll skate, be in shape, and love the connection it brings me to my sons, and my body. I'm sure most of those people are the same one's that I see at the parks sitting on the bench staring at their iphones while their children are begging for them to come and play with them, but it's not 'age appropriate', so they tell their kids to go play and continue on with their pointless Facebook posting.

I'm so glad I read this, because now I'm going to go order a new Santa Cruz Skateboard T-shirt from Skate Warehouse with some of my $80K+/year salary!! Stoked!!

BTW....why do people never seem to look at surfers in the same way? Aren't they just as ridiculous and immature going out in the waves to ride a board?

Great post! Good for you for staying active and continuing to do something that you love. Some people seem to think once you hit 40 you should just pack it in get ready to move into a rest home. I have several hobbies that I'm passionate about (seeing live music and hiking), and I still enjoy them now at 48 as I did when I was 25 and I have no plan of stopping anytime soon. And really, who cares if you still wear skater shirts? People need to just worry about themselves and stop worrying what other people do with their life and what clothes they wear.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM

785 posts, read 615,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Am I just old-fashioned, or is it a turn-off to women to see 40-ish, or worse, grey-haired guys dressing in all black skateboard clothes, or even carrying a skateboard with them? I don't mind regular shorts and t-shirt, but this boardie uniform seems really out of place after a certain age. I've seen guys in this garb try to pick up women in business suits. It doesn't go over well. Is the idea of more or less age-appropriate clothing passe? Is there a psychology about this, is it an attempt to recapture, or cling desparately to a faded youth? Or just personal preference? What to the ladies think, have you run into this phenomenon?
I have not run into this phenomenon and hope I never do

i am retired. I wear boys long shorts and men's tank tops to the barn every day. While some young women would look pretty cute going to Walmart dressed like that, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that get up to town. Not with all the collegen that has gone missing from my upper arms

Same goes for old men going shirtless in public. Spare me.

Appropriate dress for the person's age and the occasion must not be in vogue anymore and that is sad.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Who cares what youre wearing? Cant take people seriously? Why do people on here say stuff like that? Does the 911 operator ask you what youre wearing? Does the drive through cashier ask? If a person put a gun to your head and threatened to kill you would you think he was joking because of a DC shirt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty