U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Healdsburg, CA
3 posts, read 2,646 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

Appropriate dress for the person's age and the occasion must not be in vogue anymore and that is sad.
I think that we have leaned as a culture to dress more accordingly for the weather, actually.

My grandfather used to wear a long-sleeved button down shirt, with an undershirt, and long khaki pants, and hard leather shoes on a 100+F summer days. The sweat marks under his armpits were disgusting. But that's what he grew up with and believed was 'age appropriate'.

Nowadays I see the same age group wearing shorts, t-shirts, hats, rubber soled shoes and feeling much more comfortable.

Age appropriate.....pfft. Please send me the official guidelines for age appropriate clothing. I'll read it while wearing my comfortable 'skater gear'. Then I'll go get a great workout on my board at my local skate park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCShredder View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this 'age appropriate' term means. Does it mean that at 40 you have to stop having fun skating and start wearing Dockers with Oxford shirts and loafers? Is that what it means? Or should this happen at at 35? What's the age exactly, and what is this age appropriate look that some people here keep edifying?

Anyone that believes that they have to somehow 'act their age' are doing just that: Acting.

I'm 44, have been skating since I was 7 (1977), and I won't stop until I can't walk anymore. This is me; there is no 'acting' my age. I am my age, and I am who I am. I love to skate; it's an amazing form of exercise; it keeps my mind focused; it connects my mind, eyes and other senses with my body so that they work in harmony to flow along the concrete waves; it gives me something to look forward to doing with my sons every day; skating has style and credibility; it brings me joy.

I'm so glad I never turned into a stuffy old geezer like many of you on this thread, talking about 'acting' to fulfill other people's expectations of you. You can have that crap, I'll skate, be in shape, and love the connection it brings me to my sons, and my body. I'm sure most of those people are the same one's that I see at the parks sitting on the bench staring at their iphones while their children are begging for them to come and play with them, but it's not 'age appropriate', so they tell their kids to go play and continue on with their pointless Facebook posting.

I'm so glad I read this, because now I'm going to go order a new Santa Cruz Skateboard T-shirt from Skate Warehouse with some of my $80K+/year salary!! Stoked!!

BTW....why do people never seem to look at surfers in the same way? Aren't they just as ridiculous and immature going out in the waves to ride a board?
I see plenty of dads in their 30s and 40s out skating with their kids in my neighborhood. If you're in shape and can still do it, why wouldn't you? Better out skating and staying in shape that sitting in your living room getting mad while watching 24/7 news lol! I'm in my 40s and work out, etc., and I don't dress like an old man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Healdsburg, CA
3 posts, read 2,646 times
Reputation: 36
What I can't stand to see are all these immature people that are 40+ wearing baseball style hats of their favorite baseball team. Do they think they're still teenagers playing Little League or something? Most of them haven't played a game of baseball in 20+ years.

Those people need to grow up already and put on an age appropriate hat, like a fedora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
 
4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Reputation: 6479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCShredder View Post
What I can't stand to see are all these immature people that are 40+ wearing baseball style hats of their favorite baseball team. Do they think they're still teenagers playing Little League or something? Most of them haven't played a game of baseball in 20+ years.

Those people need to grow up already and put on an age appropriate hat, like a fedora.
Okay you just did a complete 180 from your previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM
 
Location: D.C.
2,766 posts, read 1,672,086 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Okay you just did a complete 180 from your previous post.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2015, 06:23 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 791,143 times
Reputation: 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCShredder View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this 'age appropriate' term means. Does it mean that at 40 you have to stop having fun skating and start wearing Dockers with Oxford shirts and loafers? Is that what it means? Or should this happen at at 35? What's the age exactly, and what is this age appropriate look that some people here keep edifying?

Anyone that believes that they have to somehow 'act their age' are doing just that: Acting.

I'm 44, have been skating since I was 7 (1977), and I won't stop until I can't walk anymore. This is me; there is no 'acting' my age. I am my age, and I am who I am. I love to skate; it's an amazing form of exercise; it keeps my mind focused; it connects my mind, eyes and other senses with my body so that they work in harmony to flow along the concrete waves; it gives me something to look forward to doing with my sons every day; skating has style and credibility; it brings me joy.

I'm so glad I never turned into a stuffy old geezer like many of you on this thread, talking about 'acting' to fulfill other people's expectations of you. You can have that crap, I'll skate, be in shape, and love the connection it brings me to my sons, and my body. I'm sure most of those people are the same one's that I see at the parks sitting on the bench staring at their iphones while their children are begging for them to come and play with them, but it's not 'age appropriate', so they tell their kids to go play and continue on with their pointless Facebook posting.

I'm so glad I read this, because now I'm going to go order a new Santa Cruz Skateboard T-shirt from Skate Warehouse with some of my $80K+/year salary!! Stoked!!

BTW....why do people never seem to look at surfers in the same way? Aren't they just as ridiculous and immature going out in the waves to ride a board?
totally agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2015, 06:25 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 791,143 times
Reputation: 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Okay you just did a complete 180 from your previous post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
i'm going to go with he was being sarcastic too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Springfield and brookline MA
1,225 posts, read 2,414,443 times
Reputation: 1195
I am 42 and most of my shirts are from O'Niell , Hurley , Volcom , Quicksilver and so forth. I probably have about 15 pair oft the same Volcom shorts in different colors because i feel they fit me the best. I dress for my comfort not any one else's.

I still skate , SUP , and ride my bike most places weather permitting. And my two boys do the same. I don't know what the official uniform is for guys my age so I just make up my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 PM
 
5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
Reputation: 4148
It must be exhausting to care so much about one's age.
Just live.
and be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 PM
 
Location: coastlines
372 posts, read 385,988 times
Reputation: 974
I guess it can range from a desire for physical comfort, to psychological comfort, but can also be a financial matter... or a "free-spirit" sort of thing.

I'm "old-fashoined" too... and tend to be attracted to a more classy look in men and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top