Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Am I just old-fashioned, or is it a turn-off to women to see 40-ish, or worse, grey-haired guys dressing in all black skateboard clothes, or even carrying a skateboard with them? I don't mind regular shorts and t-shirt, but this boardie uniform seems really out of place after a certain age. I've seen guys in this garb try to pick up women in business suits. It doesn't go over well. Is the idea of more or less age-appropriate clothing passe? Is there a psychology about this, is it an attempt to recapture, or cling desparately to a faded youth? Or just personal preference? What to the ladies think, have you run into this phenomenon?
Try living in Austin where men refuse to grow up as a rule. I am a bit tired of men over 40 with long stringy hair and sandals.
I work hard to be presentable and would appreciate knowing there are still men my age who know how to dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I just pulled out my skater clothes from years ago. I haven't worn them for literally years. I'm in my mid-20s going through what to keep and chuck out. Should I just chuck it all out since I'm old now?
Just be age-appropriate. Believe me, there is nothing hotter than a guy looking decent and put together. Conversely, it's just as bad seeing 40 year old women with bows in their hair...

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
I think it would be pretty cool if the whole "skateboarder uniform" phased out for all ages.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Just be age-appropriate. Believe me, there is nothing hotter than a guy looking decent and put together. Conversely, it's just as bad seeing 40 year old women with bows in their hair...
I agree- age appropriateness when it comes to attire is very important.

Plus, unless you're a PROFESSIONAL SKATER, the skater look should stay with teen boys.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I agree- age appropriateness when it comes to attire is very important.

Plus, unless you're a PROFESSIONAL SKATER, the skater look should stay with teen boys.

I think they are just afraid to grow up. For whatever reason, they see it as having to be a pendulum. Either dress like you are 12 or the alternative is to dress like you are 80. Guys-no. there are plemty of ways to dress for your body type and age.

If you need help with this, look at Clinton from "What not to Wear." He is classy and looks like an adult.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
I think they are just afraid to grow up. For whatever reason, they see it as having to be a pendulum. Either dress like you are 12 or the alternative is to dress like you are 80. Guys-no. there are plemty of ways to dress for your body type and age.

If you need help with this, look at Clinton from "What not to Wear." He is classy and looks like an adult.
I don't have anything against wanting to look youthful with your attire, but at least wear something that looks decent.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
wearing a VANS t-shirt hardley means you are trying to stay young. they're clothes for ****s sake. i have to say that most of you sound like a bunch of disgruntled old people. take your meds and go to sleep! have a nice nap and a poo. you'll feel better.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
wearing a VANS t-shirt hardley means you are trying to stay young. they're clothes for ****s sake. i have to say that most of you sound like a bunch of disgruntled old people. take your meds and go to sleep! have a nice nap and a poo. you'll feel better.
It takes a heck of a lot of skill for an "older" person to stay on a board. Mainly because of the balance problems that creep up as we age. To those of you who think a 40 plus year old guy carrying a board is odd or lame... well, let's just stay I'm stunned. If he can use it THAT'S the guy who is in shape. And if you don't know 40-year old's who ride you aren't hanging out with the cool guys. Sorry.

Skateboarding is not a crime.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i grew up skating, still actually have my board,
I still have my boards from the 60's. Including one of the death traps with the clay wheels.

(I think everyone is just jealous that they can't catch air. )

Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

This is the thing. The reason I'm asking is that I don't remember ever seeing 40+ guys needing to look like teenagers until the last few years. Jeans were the casual wear for all ages, and looked fine on the over-40 set. If someone wanted to be a little more classy (some would say: boring) they'd wear dockers. It just seems like a new mentality has broken out among some guys as they enter middle age that hasn't existed before. Or maybe I just wasn't noticing before...? But there didn't seem to be this need to recapture a faded youth, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty