U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM

5,802 posts, read 15,484,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
White bra and white shirt. Here's a tip: they sell flesh colored bras no matter what your skin tone is. Buy one!

Athletic sneakers with an otherwise decent looking outfit. Sneakers are for the gym, there are many cute, comfortable shoes out there for running around and doing errands.
No, they don't sell flesh-colored bras in every size. Many of us are stuck with white only.
There may be a reason for the sneakers, like foot problems. And there are VERY FEW cute, comfortable shoes for those of us with with extra-wide feet. Heck, forget cute, even comfortable ones are hard to find!
Have to agree with you on the rest.

And...what is a "muffin top???"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM

144 posts, read 749,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
No, they don't sell flesh-colored bras in every size. Many of us are stuck with white only.
There may be a reason for the sneakers, like foot problems. And there are VERY FEW cute, comfortable shoes for those of us with with extra-wide feet. Heck, forget cute, even comfortable ones are hard to find!
Have to agree with you on the rest.

And...what is a "muffin top???"

A muffin top is that roll of fat that sits at your waist band and either jiggles like jello along with your spare tire in the front jiggling for all it's worth or is well behaved and stands at attention...either way it's not attractive.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milabs View Post

I dont' have a problem with my 12 yr old wearing a thong...she has dress pants that don't look right if she wore bikinis....I'd rather her wear a thong than sport panty lines that will draw more attention.

It's probably a generational thing for me. (and I never had girls; I raised two boys.)
I realize that 12 year olds now are not the 12 year olds of 40 years ago.
For me, my big event when I turned 12 was to be allowed to shave my legs and get my ears pierced.
But I do think that sexualized clothing for young girls is an unfortunate development (no pun intended.)
I suppose visible pantylines are undesirable, but can someone explain to me why bra straps displayed on purpose?
Those Bratz padded training bras are a bit silly, too. But then those Bratz themselves are like little mini-skanks.
I think this is the paradox/timeline of fashion:
The spectrum of being presentable to provocative back to being presentable again.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
Oh, can I add....too much perfume? And the worst, too much perfume on top of body odor or cigarette smoke. Yuck.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It's probably a generational thing for me. (and I never had girls; I raised two boys.)
I realize that 12 year olds now are not the 12 year olds of 40 years ago.
For me, my big event when I turned 12 was to be allowed to shave my legs and get my ears pierced.
But I do think that sexualized clothing for young girls is an unfortunate development (no pun intended.)
I suppose visible pantylines are undesirable, but can someone explain to me why bra straps displayed on purpose?
Those Bratz padded training bras are a bit silly, too. But then those Bratz themselves are like little mini-skanks.
I think this is the paradox/timeline of fashion:
The spectrum of being presentable to provocative back to being presentable again.
I'm raising 5 girls and believe me it's not easy finding proper outfits for them. And I totally agree that a 12 yr old shouldn't be dressing like an 18 yr old....then again an 18 yr old shouldn't showing the world all that God gave her just because she can. My girls are modest..they dont' want to show their cracks or cleavage....yet it's hard to find clothes that fit them that dont' show cracks or cleavage. I'm sick of looking at little girls...under 12..wearing these adult looking baby doll shirts....it's gross...and then pairing it with a wedge??!! Too much.

I dont' understand the bra strap thing either.....they sell bras that you can wear with tank tops that dont' show the straps.

I've seen some of the Braztz line and some of the Mary Kate and Ashley stuff..skank is right. Why dress a young girl like that? Why?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Oh, can I add....too much perfume? And the worst, too much perfume on top of body odor or cigarette smoke. Yuck.

Oh the perfume....yes please add that....if they can smell you before they see you..you have too much on. LOL

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,937,729 times
Everyone has covered this topic beautifully. I do want to stress that I see way, way too much cleavage.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,972,888 times
Smile Amen to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Big bellies and belly buttons showing with low cut pants and cropped tees
I see this way too often. Saw on the St. Louis news today a women wearing a tank top, mini mini skirt and, well, many of her 'pounds' showed where they shouldn't have. And this was at an awards dinner. I'm sure she thought that she appeared 'dressed', however, it was sad to see.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Stomachs should be covered! I have never seen a pretty stomach.

Shoes with the front covered and the heel out is ugly. The heel is the ugliest part of the foot, why stick it out and cover the rest?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM

224 posts, read 703,661 times
I would say pretty much anything you see Britney Spears wearing would be a fashion no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty