Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times

Advertisements

based upon that response id say to the OP just do whatever youre comfortable with. gasoline and cat pee may be the best things to use to clean your brushes but if youre not comfortable with it then what does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
like your toothbrush you clean it after you use it I HOPE same with FACE brushes and My HAIR brushes I clean my hair brush every 3 days when I wash my hair. I'm not going to wash my face or hair and then apply a filthy brush on my face or in my hair.
explain clean your toothbrush. all ive ever done for the past 40 years is rinse mine off.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
based upon that response id say to the OP just do whatever youre comfortable with. gasoline and cat pee may be the best things to use to clean your brushes but if youre not comfortable with it then what does it matter?

LOL...

They smell way too much. LOL

Gasoline actually can ruin synthetic brushes. House or face. Don't do it.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Quote:
I'm really hoping you just misunderstood my original post :P My brushes smell like gasoline... not saying I am or would ever wash my brushes with them. LOL

Quote:
explain clean your toothbrush. all ive ever done for the past 40 years is rinse mine off.
I'm curious about that too! Doesn't the toothpaste clean your toothbrush the same way it does your teeth? As long as you rinse off the excess toothpaste doesn't that clean your tooth brush? Of course, toothbrushes should be thrown away after some time.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I have a rather large set of makeup brushes ranging in brands from Merle Norman, Physicians Formula, E.L.F., and Wet n' Wild. They were getting rather cake-y so I decided to wash them today using a makeup brush cleaner that I have used in the past. Everything was going great until I finished washing them and noticed a horrible smell coming from the brushes (gross!), almost like a wet dog smell mixed with gasoline or car fumes The cheaper brushes smell the worst, whereas my Merle Norman only slightly smells like wet dog.

My question... why do my brushes smell and how can I get rid of the smell? I've tried cleaners made specifically for makeup brushes and while they've cleaned the makeup away, the smell still remains. I would hate to have to throw away my brushes.
I wash mine real good with Dawn Antibacterial soap.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I wash mine real good with Dawn Antibacterial soap.
So I just washed my stinkiest brush in Dawn and honestly, I don't smell anything so far - YAY! However... I'm having a hard time getting all of the soap out. I've rinsed and rinsed until the water runs clean and after a couple hours of drying, I'll squish my brush and bubbles come out. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I using too much soap? Would the soap be getting stuck in the top part near where the bristles are glued?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
I'm really hoping you just misunderstood my original post :P My brushes smell like gasoline... not saying I am or would ever wash my brushes with them. LOL

I'm curious about that too! Doesn't the toothpaste clean your toothbrush the same way it does your teeth? As long as you rinse off the excess toothpaste doesn't that clean your tooth brush? Of course, toothbrushes should be thrown away after some time

I rinse mine out with hot water and dump mouthwash on it to disinfect it. Boiling water soak with sea salt 1x a week or so.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
So I just washed my stinkiest brush in Dawn and honestly, I don't smell anything so far - YAY! However... I'm having a hard time getting all of the soap out. I've rinsed and rinsed until the water runs clean and after a couple hours of drying, I'll squish my brush and bubbles come out. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I using too much soap? Would the soap be getting stuck in the top part near where the bristles are glued?
You probably used too much. Rinse in cold water and rub the bristles as you rinse them. Another tip- to soften your brushes use conditioner.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
I'm the Training Director for a well known cosmetic company. I strongly suggest you replace your brushes with natural bristles and replace your makeup ASAP. Your entire beauty inventory is contaminated and can cause your health and skin a lot of problem. When you get your new brushes clean them weekly and do not share them.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
You're going to wanna dilute the soap beforehand, but dishwashing liquid is pretty good @ breaking down oils and buildup. I use about the size of a quarter in my palm, lather, rinse, and repeat the process until all the makeup is gone.

I usually fill up the bathroom sink with warm/hot water, submerge and shake the brushes around a bunch instead of just rinsing under the faucet (which I also do afterwards.)

-I'm not a professional, just a normal person so it works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty