Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM

741 posts, read 1,376,864 times

Advertisements

I always use a primer and liked one by almay in a purple tube that was discontinued. But what I use for a primer now is not really a primer, it is monistat chafe relief powder-gel. I never would have thought of it but read about it (I guess it is not allowed to include other sites here) on a very well known site devoted to cosmetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,601,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Bare Escentuals mineral foundation. Very light but just enough color to even out my skin tone. I wear it year round and have combination skin.
Same here.

My skin was combination / oily and now it's becoming combination / dry, but this is the only makeup that I was able to use and not break out like a mad woman.

Luckily now my breakouts are going away.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
I always use a primer and liked one by almay in a purple tube that was discontinued. But what I use for a primer now is not really a primer, it is monistat chafe relief powder-gel. I never would have thought of it but read about it (I guess it is not allowed to include other sites here) on a very well known site devoted to cosmetics.
Wow, that's really interesting. I'll have to give that a try and see how it compares to primer. It does make things smooth and not sweaty (really good for long bike rides) so I can see where it might work well on the face too.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:28 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,869,309 times
I used to wear Mary Kay, but when its hot, it melts off. Bare minerals is great.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
I use Bare Minerals. I love the ability to mix the shades and they don't cake or glop.

I really like the versatility and control that one has with Bare Minerals.

They get my vote for make up wearers of every skin tone.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,954,017 times
Winter-- Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer (applied using a foundation brush)
Summer-- MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation (applied using a powder brush)

Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 PM

152 posts, read 492,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Thanks everyone for so many good ideas/experiences.

I need to sample more. I didn't know that this was the norm since I never shop for department store make-up. Thought I was already behind the times for going to the department store since buying online is so economical.

Sounds like I need to figure out how best to "prep" my skin before using foundation. The lotion my dermatologist recommended (cetaphil spf 15) is thick, leaves me wet and shiny and red and maybe I can't go straight from this to foundation anyway.

It also never occurred to me that you would use different foundations during different times of year. Thanks for this good advice.

May I ask, how many of you with difficult/combination/acne-prone/sensitive skin types use a primer under their foundation? I feel like my skin is just drowning under layers of lotion with sunscreen, acne products, foundation already and sometimes bringing out my flaws/wrinkles rather then hiding them.... Is using "the right" lotion first, the secret, to allow the foundation to go on better.... or do you use primer?
I used to use cetaphil, but I was having the same problem you're having and so I stopped using it. Have you tried Aveeno's positively radiant face moisturizer?

I use Studio Gear Prime Objective primer and really like it so far. Some silicone based primers break me out, but this one hasn't. Korres anti-aging primer is a good one too since it's water based, if you prefer that. I don't use primer everyday though, sometimes all I use is the aveeno tinted moisturizer spf30, or Origins Vitazing. I wear a primer if I want my make-up to stay on longer, also I'll put a little bit under my eyes and it prevents my concealer from creasing.

Today I went to nordstrom and got matched to a Bobbi brown stick foundation. I really liked it in the store, so we'll see how much I like when I start using it in this awful heat!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,611,598 times
I have tried a variety of primers from brands like Shiseido, Smashbox (2 different ones!), Two Faced, Korres and even drugstore stuff like Revlon. I tested these by applying them to only one side of my face, so I could compare the foundation alone and over primer - on days when I had nothing to do but sit at home and judge the results. My conclusions so far - not a single one of them helped my foundation last longer. In fact many of them seemed to make it wear off faster. I've tried using only the tiniest amount and tried using a little more. Maybe I have missed my holy grail primer or my technique is wrong or something, but so far it seems like nothing but hype.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,260,123 times
I don't use primer, mainly because I figure if you have to use it, your foundation isn't good enough!

Also I only use the most common supermarket moisturiser you can name, always have always will. It sinks right in and your skin is clean and dry after.

I have always found that expensive does not mean better, makeup wise.

One of the worst products I've ever owned was an Estee Lauder lipstick.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
MAC Studio Fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty