U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,610,764 times

Advertisements

There is this guy named Lee Priest, he is a professional bodybuilder from Australia and he is 5'4" and he was competing up until a few years ago and he competed at 225 pounds which is a lot of weight for a man that height. His legs are huge and his arms measured 22 inches around. I can only imagine what a nightmare it must be for him to find clothes if he can even find any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,294,366 times
1orl

There is a mens suit size called Portly. Terrible name, but cut for bigger, shorter men.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,083,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I dated a guy who couldn't buy a suit because he had very broad shoulders and a teeny waist -- his shoulders fit a 36 and his waist fit a 30... and you can't tailor that out or in that much.... so yeah -- there are guys with the same issues
I'm confused by this post. 36" is very broad shoulders? Did you date this guy in 4th grade? Or are you using a measuring scale I'm not familiar with?

My shoulders are 46" (with a 33" waist) and I would consider them to be broad, but not "very broad."

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 PM

4,686 posts, read 5,840,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I'm confused by this post. 36" is very broad shoulders? Did you date this guy in 4th grade? Or are you using a measuring scale I'm not familiar with?

My shoulders are 46" (with a 33" waist) and I would consider them to be broad, but not "very broad."
I think both of you are talking about chest size not shoulders. Off the rack suits are measured by chest size with the waist size typically 6 inches smaller, e.g., a 42 regular suit will have pants with a 36" waist.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,083,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think both of you are talking about chest size not shoulders. Off the rack suits are measured by chest size with the waist size typically 6 inches smaller, e.g., a 42 regular suit will have pants with a 36" waist.
Still, someone with a 36" chest is not going to have broad shoulders in any way, shape, or form. Also, if a dude's waist is only 6 inches smaller than his chest, he doesn't have the "V" shaped torso that chicks dig so much.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,760,523 times
It's very touch find for me to find clothes. I'm 6 foot even about 150. Tall and skinny ran cross country and track in high school and college. Most large teenagers for well on me not tucked in. For running shorts it's right around the border of small and medium.

It's almost impossible to find appropriate dress clothes. Whenever I have a special event coming up, I'm our shopping for clothes about 2 weeks out. Right around a 15.25 34/35 dress shirt and 31x31 pants. I was able to find a nice large dress shirt of the rack at Macy's for wedding I am going to this weekend. I needed the large for length, bc of my long arms, but I am now concerns after trying it on with a new jacket I got that it might be too much space between the back of the shirt and my narrow neck.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,692,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I dated a guy who couldn't buy a suit because he had very broad shoulders and a teeny waist -- his shoulders fit a 36 and his waist fit a 30... and you can't tailor that out or in that much.... so yeah -- there are guys with the same issues
Are you kidding??

36 short and 30 waist is the fittest size out there. It's my suiting measurement.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,460,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
It's very touch find for me to find clothes. I'm 6 foot even about 150. Tall and skinny ran cross country and track in high school and college. Most large teenagers for well on me not tucked in. For running shorts it's right around the border of small and medium.

It's almost impossible to find appropriate dress clothes. Whenever I have a special event coming up, I'm our shopping for clothes about 2 weeks out. Right around a 15.25 34/35 dress shirt and 31x31 pants. I was able to find a nice large dress shirt of the rack at Macy's for wedding I am going to this weekend. I needed the large for length, bc of my long arms, but I am now concerns after trying it on with a new jacket I got that it might be too much space between the back of the shirt and my narrow neck.
You're thinner than I am but I have had the same issue. Luckily my arms aren't as long, so medium or 15.75-16/32-33 is usually OK. H&M is a lesser quality brand, but by that token the price is good and I find their off the rack shirts very slim cut. Check 'em out.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to find right fitting shirts. Your best option is to go bespoke, of course, and it's not necessarily cost prohibitive.

Try Modern Tailor online. For a new customer it's $19.95 for a basic shirt (not bad at all). For one reliable garment it's a good investment just to see if their product works for you. Subsequent orders will be $30-$50 per shirt, your choice of fabric, but you can buy fewer clothes if what you own fits properly. Obviously, jackets and suits are expensive, but those you can buy off the rack and have tailored.

ETA: Get your measurements done anyway. EBay is great for clothes, as they have filters for exact sizes. And there are bargains.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,293,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
You're thinner than I am but I have had the same issue. Luckily my arms aren't as long, so medium or 15.75-16/32-33 is usually OK. H&M is a lesser quality brand, but by that token the price is good and I find their off the rack shirts very slim cut. Check 'em out.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to find right fitting shirts. Your best option is to go bespoke, of course, and it's not necessarily cost prohibitive.

Try Modern Tailor online. For a new customer it's $19.95 for a basic shirt (not bad at all). For one reliable garment it's a good investment just to see if their product works for you. Subsequent orders will be $30-$50 per shirt, your choice of fabric, but you can buy fewer clothes if what you own fits properly. Obviously, jackets and suits are expensive, but those you can buy off the rack and have tailored.

ETA: Get your measurements done anyway. EBay is great for clothes, as they have filters for exact sizes. And there are bargains.
^This. Bespoke is relatively expensive, but for men, if you can get a well-cut blazer (this is probably the best investment, as it is what almost everyone will see and remember), a couple of shirts, and two pairs of coordinating pants with good ties, you will be in good shape. If you can't go bespoke all the way, get pants, jackets, and shirts that fit the largest part of you well, and then get the rest tailored down. Although people will tell you that big size differentials can't be negotiated, you can get specialty tailoring with a skilled seamster/ress who can help you maneuver among sizes. For example, because of bridesmaid obligations for my brother's wedding, I once had to get a size eight women's dress with lots of darting taken down to a zero/two for me--it can be done with a talented tailor. That was a difference in at least six sizes. And, whatever you do, don't wait until two weeks out from a special event to go shopping--desperation will force you to pay too much for something that won't look so great, and you will feel very frustrated and depressed. Men, just like women, should always have a couple of nicely-fitting outfits for more formal occasions on hand. Believe me, doing so will save you big headaches and expenses in the long run; men should scout out sales just like women do to find their equivalent of the little black dress that could serve them well for many occasions.

If you always have a couple of options on hand, you'll never be caught off guard. You can also go to a good department store and ask for the help of a personal shopper.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 7,464,108 times
Some suit makers offer an "athletic" cut - so a 46" jacket would be cut for a much thinner waist than 46s are usually cut for. You might want to look for something like that, too. My last suit was a 46 long, athletic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty