U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,524,045 times

Advertisements

I know it's a weird thread title and I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for, but I'm a woman with a light caramel complexion. I want to even out my skin tone. Right now my legs seems somewhat paler and splotchy, and I want to get them to an even pretty skin tone. I want to basically correct blemishes and tone everything out. I'd also like to try the technique of "sculpting" my body via tanning(I've read that some white women are able to spray tan to get a sculpted toned look). So with that all that being said, I don't know ANY woman of color that tans, albeit a cousin of mine who lives in a different state--she's very light and goes to tanning booths. I don't want to get that type of UV damage, and definitely too hot here down south to be sitting in the sun(also not safe either). So I'm looking for sunless tanners that would work well with my skin tone and techniques that I could use to sculpt my legs with the tanner? Has any woman(of color) tried this? And if so what products did you use?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:12 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times
So, I'm guessing you're more of a darker colored woman than a lighter one? I think I know what you mean. Do you take care of your skin in terms of moisturizing and exfoliating? Some people think that just tanning will get them the glowing color they want, but maintaining healthy skin has a lot to do with it as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
So, I'm guessing you're more of a darker colored woman than a lighter one? I think I know what you mean. Do you take care of your skin in terms of moisturizing and exfoliating? Some people think that just tanning will get them the glowing color they want, but maintaining healthy skin has a lot to do with it as well.
I'm more lighter than I am darker, but I'm somewhat fair as well (Christina Milian/Ashanti's complexion resembles mine etc). I do take care of my skin as well, moisturize, drink a lot of water, etc. But I don't wear shorts or anything(I want to start) so while one part of my body is darker, the other part(my legs) is uneven, etc.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,752,288 times
Lol, i sit out in the sun all the time.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,113,678 times
Being in the sun is the only natural way to tan your skin. Going for walks in shorts or a sundress will even out your tone in no time.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Yall are killing me. I am down south and it is HOTTTTT. I cannot take the heat, which is why I was looking for a way to do it without having to go into the heat. But thanks anyway lol.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,643,324 times
Have you tried a self-tanner like Jergens? I use that often and like it. I also hear good things about St. Tropez.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Have you tried a self-tanner like Jergens? I use that often and like it. I also hear good things about St. Tropez.

Thank you for your input. Does the Jergens help even out your skin tone, give you a glow, and get rid of the pale splotches?
Some people have told me Jergens works well, Neutregena sunless tanner, Lancome, and St. Tropez. I want to know which out of these work the best(in other words best bang for the buck). I don't want to look orangey or weird if I buy the wrong product so I'm really trying to find out which product has the most "natural" looking tan.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,643,324 times
Jergen's does give you a glow. I am not sure how it would work to even out your skin, but you could try it somewhere where it would not show. I have read some reviews that St. Tropez has to be very dry before putting clothing on or it will stain. I have not had that problem with Jergen's, but I do wait for it to dry and I usually put it on after my evening shower.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,765,860 times
Side point: People who have darker skin tend to not get enough vitamin D, no matter how much sun they get or how much they lie on a tanning bed. It's critical that everyone gets enough vitamin D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty