U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,623,291 times
Reputation: 7508

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Women are every bit as superficial when it comes to look, no one believes that old myth...

even some of the men have admitted on here that women are more likely to give a guy a chance if he slightly outside the 'standards' in the look department. you can disagree, but I do not for a second beleive men budge from what they consider to be the 'least acceptable standard' for women's looks to allow some women who aren't the typical beauties. they always talk bad about the different types of women's looks, mostly the ones that don't fit the 'standards of beauty.' It's constant and you can't deny that! i don't see women talking like that about the men incessantly. so that tells me the men places a much higher value on looks then women. not saying women don't care, just saying a woman more likely to be lenient. Men forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,391,419 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
even some of the men have admitted on here that women are more likely to give a guy a chance if he slightly outside the 'standards' in the look department. you can disagree, but I do not for a second beleive men budge from what they consider to be the 'least acceptable standard' for women's looks to allow some women who aren't the typical beauties. they always talk bad about the different types of women's looks, mostly the ones that don't fit the 'standards of beauty.' It's constant and you can't deny that! i don't see women talking like that about the men incessantly. so that tells me the men places a much higher value on looks then women. not saying women don't care, just saying a woman more likely to be lenient. Men forget it.
Well they do, and if they don't they settle, because I see many ugly women, many often dating 'up.' Maybe they have great personalities, I don't know. Obviously if men only went for the ideal these girls would all be single now, wouldn't they.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,466,484 times
Reputation: 5566
I think y'all are making this out to be far more dramatic than it is. The ugly and slovenly still make it through life just fine. They live, they love, they work and they even get the occasional promotion. They probably face some obstacles along the way because of their appearance which isn't fair but, hey, who ever said life is fair?

I think a quote from House would be appropriate here.
Quote:
We can try and pretend we're above it or we can try and intellectualize it away, but ultimately, shiny, pretty, perky things are good, and ugly, misshapen teenage boys are repulsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,577 posts, read 79,886,753 times
Reputation: 38944
Let's face it, nothing has really changed over the times way back when, except women have advanced in the workplace. We live in a competative world (that is ok) we put too much into looks, that is not OK. We have seen this with our little 5 year old great granddaughter, in an effort to build self confidence everyone, including me, have constantly told her how pretty and smart she is or looks. Talk about obsessed, we can already see it. Now, we are all backing down a little. How a person, man or woman reacts to weight, looks, brains, etc starts at home, but it has always been this way. How many of you remember Twiggy?

Now, I will add just one more thing, I don't buy this notion that unless you are attractive you will get nowhere in the work place or looks are 90% of the picture. This might be true in some situations, but not overall. For those of you still woking, look around, tell me the bosses, men or women are successful because of their looks. Dressing and looking professional is one thing, beauty is quite another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,946 posts, read 28,325,044 times
Reputation: 26138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Now, I will add just one more thing, I don't buy this notion that unless you are attractive you will get nowhere in the work place or looks are 90% of the picture. This might be true in some situations, but not overall. For those of you still woking, look around, tell me the bosses, men or women are successful because of their looks. Dressing and looking professional is one thing, beauty is quite another.
The thing is that "dressing and looking professional" for women is based on making yourself as "attractive" as possible. For women, this means putting on makeup and wearing "appropriately feminine" and "stylish" clothing.

Women who wear the men's uniform of khakis and a polo, although technically a professional look, don't receive the same treatment as the women who wears the well-fitting dress/cardigan, slacks/blouse, or skirt/cardigan combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,623,291 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I think y'all are making this out to be far more dramatic than it is. The ugly and slovenly still make it through life just fine. They live, they love, they work and they even get the occasional promotion. They probably face some obstacles along the way because of their appearance which isn't fair but, hey, who ever said life is fair?

I think a quote from House would be appropriate here.

It would seem that way to people that haven't had to live it down. Otherwise I don't find it to be making a big deal 'out of nothing.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,623,291 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well they do, and if they don't they settle, because I see many ugly women, many often dating 'up.' Maybe they have great personalities, I don't know. Obviously if men only went for the ideal these girls would all be single now, wouldn't they.

this has been said by someone else on here (can't remember) but they don't go for the ideal girls only because most of them cannot get within 10 feet of the 'Candice Swanepoels' of the world and probably wouldn't have a snow ball's chance in hell if they did. But it wouldn't be from a lack of trying......So you're right they do end up settling on some level because most have no other choice. BUT that doesn't stop this obsession they seem to have with these caricatures/cartoon looking women and then subsequently laying that at the doorstep of the regular women of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 4,288,098 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
this has been said by someone else on here (can't remember) but they don't go for the ideal girls only because most of them cannot get within 10 feet of the 'Candice Swanepoels' of the world and probably wouldn't have a snow ball's chance in hell if they did. But it wouldn't be from a lack of trying......So you're right they do end up settling on some level because most have no other choice. BUT that doesn't stop this obsession they seem to have with these caricatures/cartoon looking women and then subsequently laying that at the doorstep of the regular women of the world.
society enables men to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,623,291 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
society enables men to be that way.
We actually agree on something. Go figure. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,471,794 times
Reputation: 5327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because everyone is focused on how you look. You get subtle messaging starting when you are a kid that looks are very important if you are female.

You wouldn't necessary notice this, but starting around age 3, when those relatives come over, the first thing they say to the little girls is "wow, your dress/hair/earrings are really pretty." Or "you look pretty today."

By the time you start school, the pretty hierarchy starts. Young girls are praised less for being smart, or athletic, or reading a book and more for "looking nice." Many people have a double standard when it comes to girls, they aren't supposed to get dirty, be to athletic, etc. You start learning those lessons quickly. The girls who don't look nice are not as well-received as the ones who do.

When the media talks about women in power they comment on their clothing and perceived attractiveness. (Ahem, Sarah Palin, Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Laura Bush....) And if they aren't conventionally attractive (aka young and pretty with long hair), the media makes fun of them (Margaret Thatcher, Janet Reno).

Why are Michelle Obama's arms and butt size even a topic in the media? What does that have to do with her being first lady? I love to see Michelle Obama's outfits, she is totally a fashion inspiration for me, but seriously, no man in power had endless articles about his outfits. No man in power is criticized for not being "in shape" or being "toned," while every woman's body is up for debate. Even for women not in appearance focused industries (like acting).

This is Olympic season, but I guarantee, the female athletes with the most profiles/media coverage are not the successful ones, but the ones that look good in a dress. How come more people aren't talking about the most successful weight lifter in American history......Sarah Robles? Hmm I don't know, but I am guessing it has a lot to do with the fact she doesn't have a conventionally attractive female body. I have seen tons of coverage about Marlen Esparza, and lots of magazine features. Hmmmm double standard?

Or how about this Olympic swimmer, Rebecca Adlington, who was criticized for being "fat." Hello she is going to the Olympics, how could she not be in shape?
London 2012 Olympics: Rebecca Adlington outraged by constant 'nasty' online abuse over her looks - Telegraph

Be amazed if you can find a woman who manages to overcome decades of messaging, and not be obsessed with appearance.
All so true!
Rebecca Adlington Pictures - Investiture At Buckingham Palace - Zimbio

In that slide show you can see R.A. in a blue wrap dress. (dressed like a normal person)
I love the skinny look and I laughed out LOUD that they called this chick fat. She just isn't fashion model thin. I would say in some shots (must be early training shots) she looks fitness model thin until her shoulders get a bit bigger from training. She probably looks more defined in person too. (pale skin is bad for showing off definition)

But still...all these millions of women in the world an ANYONE can look decent if they try. (which she does) How many of them even get to try out for the Olympics let alone BE IN them.

No new news though about guys sports getting more money. That as been going on in HSs since...
forever.

_______________________________________

Karma is balanced in the end because shoddy slobs give the lookers a hard time.
Go ahead and be the one that doesn't look like a slob in a room full of slobs.
I would say its just as bad if not worse than slob/fat hate.
Nothing more hilarious than a clinically obese women criticizing down to the nitty gritty details a different female who is not as apathetic about looks.

Example A: this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top