U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Austin
4,103 posts, read 5,888,570 times
Reputation: 6686

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My sister is actually on the slim side, yet she constantly complains about being fat. In fact at one point we thought she might even be on the road to full blown anorexia, when she started losing weight. She's not single anymore and is busy with kids, but she's always been considered very attractive. I can't help but maybe she's hung up about being model skinny, which is just really annoying.

I mean people in general today - especially women - are so hung up about every little bit about their body. Too fat, their belly is a little wide, boobs a little saggy, legs too short, head too big, hair too frizzy, eyes are too small...they go to great pains about it. It's so obsessive! Is it because they just don't have anything else to think about/give their attention to? I mean a sizable segment, not all, of course. And then there's men who are obsessed with body building, ugh, honestly the ones who constantly bang on about it are annoying to be with. Some men can definitely be just as vain. I literally spend a few minutes in front of the mirror every morning - wash my face, shave, comb my hair and clean my teeth that's about it. I don't really bother having 'hairstyles', I just want something practical. I don't really care about 'fashion' at all.

I always hear that the media and stuff influences people, but why are people still obsessing over what fashion magazines tell them or how celebrities look? Why are we as a society so darn superficial and plain OBSESSIVE about our looks? It's grown to ridiculous proportions. Is that what a lot of people think about all day? Looks are so fleeting, I don't want to be judged on something so superficial anyway...
My sister is 7 years older and she is a slave to her looks to a point I feel so bad for her. She can extreme diet like nobody's business and I know she has taken and maybe still takes laxatives . She also works out pretty hard. She hates the fact that she's in her 40s. She does have the 'ideal' body type but when I see what she puts herself through physically and mentally it makes me very sad.

I will diet to a point(sometimes) and want to workout to get kicka$$ strong and healthy not to look a certain way. I want strength and endurance. Rule 1- Cardio. I am so comfortable in my imperfect skin, and yes, even feel sexy at times. It wasn't always this way, it has taken my 30s to get there. I love getting older! I love seeing my life progress and the wisdom that comes with age. Unfortunately we are a country full of vain expectations, maybe that's why I loved the grunge era so much, some of that got thrown out for a little bit but now it's back with a vengeance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
 
124 posts, read 178,788 times
Reputation: 168
Angry my rant for today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
What are other perks of being universally attractive besides getting hit on by men all the time??
there's two sides to every story.

pretty women are mistreated and disrespected all the time. and they're treated that way because of how they look. they suffer abuse from jealous women who can be quite evil. when all these so called nice men find out that they can't sleep with you, they turn real nasty real quick, curse you, and bad mouth you to discouraged other guys from getting with you because they're mad that they didn't get you.

just because you get attention and men want to sleep with you doesn't mean that they love you or that we're any happier. and on the job? are you kidding? want that promotion? better take off those panties or you can forget about it.

you talk and no one takes you seriously because you couldn't possibly be intelligent. some will hate you because they ASSUME that your life must be roses. when in reality you have men and women who treat you like dirt because they're positive that you always get your way and they're not going to treat you kind like everyone else. but when you have a whole slew of people who all think the same way, you get treated really nasty by a lot of people, because they THINK that you get spoiled rotten.

and yes if i get a perk i feel i do deserve it. not because of how i look, but to make up for all the crap i have to go thru. because we get judged, discriminated against, envied, used, disrespected, and experience outright hatred all because of how we look.

believe it or not. take it or leave it.

this is my rant for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
There are always people out there who hate you for something - it's their problem, not yours. It's a harsh, sick world we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM
 
4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times
Reputation: 6479
The only rule i have as far as my body goes is when i hit 200 lbs its diet time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 3,784,673 times
Reputation: 13140
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
there's two sides to every story.

pretty women are mistreated and disrespected all the time. and they're treated that way because of how they look. they suffer abuse from jealous women who can be quite evil. when all these so called nice men find out that they can't sleep with you, they turn real nasty real quick, curse you, and bad mouth you to discouraged other guys from getting with you because they're mad that they didn't get you.

just because you get attention and men want to sleep with you doesn't mean that they love you or that we're any happier. and on the job? are you kidding? want that promotion? better take off those panties or you can forget about it.

you talk and no one takes you seriously because you couldn't possibly be intelligent. some will hate you because they ASSUME that your life must be roses. when in reality you have men and women who treat you like dirt because they're positive that you always get your way and they're not going to treat you kind like everyone else. but when you have a whole slew of people who all think the same way, you get treated really nasty by a lot of people, because they THINK that you get spoiled rotten.

and yes if i get a perk i feel i do deserve it. not because of how i look, but to make up for all the crap i have to go thru. because we get judged, discriminated against, envied, used, disrespected, and experience outright hatred all because of how we look.

believe it or not. take it or leave it.

this is my rant for today.
As someone who went from ugly to attractive in looks, I agree with most of your post. Well, except for the "I deserve it" part. No one should be treated a certain way because of how they look - whether it's to their advantage or not.

And what of the unattractive people who do not get perks? If you ask me, they "deserve" it more than you do.

I mean, really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
A man goes into his superiors office, lays down the law and demands a raise = man is seen as a go-getter, he's seen as aggressive, he's seen as someone who is going places.

A woman goes into her superiors office, lays down the law and demands a raise = woman is seen as bitchy, pushy and not worthy of a promotion.

There was actually an article published not too long ago (I think it was the Washington Post, I'll poke around for it later) that said when all things were equal, and a woman and man demanded a promotion/raise in the same way, even when they both received one, the woman's was substantially less than the mans. It was a very interesting article.

I've been told I was pushy when I asked for a raise, but the guys did it and it was fine. I guess as a female I'm supposed to be meek and anything more is seen as bitchy.
I don't care if they like me. They will recognize my work and pay me. That is the attitude I went in with.
Looking slobby and not. Always worked but I didn't waste my time on any boss that seemed like what you were talking about in another post.
My bosses have all been educated women (which I didnt have to be hard at all with), gay men, and jewish men primarily. So it could be a social cultural thing too. Basically not the type that are meatheads like you may find at a garage. But again..I say act like a man in that case. If some man treated another man like that at a garage type setting. He wouldn't complain about it. He would find a new place to work or open up a business of his own after learning the ropes with the idiot boss's business mistakes and successes. He wouldn't be on a diet etc, the man would be on a mission to make a change to be the alpha he feels he should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Surely!

Pretty women are given promotions or raises, even when they don't deserve them. I had a manager give another girl a promotion over me to full time because she'd 'be easier to look at 40 hours a week'. I noticed a HUUUUGE difference in the way the men I worked with treated the cute blonde girls over the average/not as attractive women. They were nicer, they'd open doors (while shutting them in my face) they offer to pick up lunch for them and then look at me and keep walking, if the pretty girls called in sick there was nothing but sympathy, but when the not so attractive girls did, there was nothing but complaints about how they didn't take their job seriously. The guys would constantly joke about needing more 'eye candy' and would hire women based solely on their looks and the rest of us had to pick up the slack because they would NEVER get fired. Unattractive girls? Fired at the first offense.

I could go on and on about how much better the pretty women are treated. I've witnessed it first hand.
Why do you think this is "better" treatment? Won't seem so great when she ages now will it?
And that is the curse of the pretty face. Its a tool that only weakens with age with those types of man-boys. So these pretty faces will ride that wave and the crash when father time hits them in the face and they are left with a d-list skills set and a barely tolerable personality that doesn't go over well under saggy boobs and aged lemon face.

That is the problem for that pretty person possibly. They are a passing fad and absolutely disposable.
People like that are the cut flower in a vase. Propped up for use of others for a short time of pleasure only to be tossed when the pinnacle of beauty has faded to dry creases and washed out colors.

So why do you think being used for empty dead end pleasure is good treatment? Its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
 
124 posts, read 178,788 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
As someone who went from ugly to attractive in looks, I agree with most of your post. Well, except for the "I deserve it" part. No one should be treated a certain way because of how they look - whether it's to their advantage or not.

And what of the unattractive people who do not get perks? If you ask me, they "deserve" it more than you do.

I mean, really?
I didn't say I deserve perks cause of how i look. I SAID I DESERVE IT TO MAKE UP FOR ALL THE CRAP I HAVE TO GO THRU ON A REGULAR BASIS. So if someone does something nice for me every now and then, yeah I do fell I deserve it. And I'm grateful for whenever somebody does something nice for me, cause most of the time I'm given a hard time.

And you posted a double standard. First you say that "No one should be treated a certain way because of how they look..." Then you said unacttractive people deserve more perks than attractive people?

whatever. i got enough problems. i'm not about to sit here and argue with anybody about my life which you know nothing about.

fin.

Last edited by doradocolibri; 07-16-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
 
124 posts, read 178,788 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I don't care if they like me. They will recognize my work and pay me. That is the attitude I went in with.
Looking slobby and not. Always worked but I didn't waste my time on any boss that seemed like what you were talking about in another post.
My bosses have all been educated women (which I didnt have to be hard at all with), gay men, and jewish men primarily. So it could be a social cultural thing too. Basically not the type that are meatheads like you may find at a garage. But again..I say act like a man in that case. If some man treated another man like that at a garage type setting. He wouldn't complain about it. He would find a new place to work or open up a business of his own after learning the ropes with the idiot boss's business mistakes and successes. He wouldn't be on a diet etc, the man would be on a mission to make a change to be the alpha he feels he should be.



Why do you think this is "better" treatment? Won't seem so great when she ages now will it?
And that is the curse of the pretty face. Its a tool that only weakens with age with those types of man-boys. So these pretty faces will ride that wave and the crash when father time hits them in the face and they are left with a d-list skills set and a barely tolerable personality that doesn't go over well under saggy boobs and aged lemon face.

That is the problem for that pretty person possibly. They are a passing fad and absolutely disposable.
People like that are the cut flower in a vase. Propped up for use of others for a short time of pleasure only to be tossed when the pinnacle of beauty has faded to dry creases and washed out colors.

So why do you think being used for empty dead end pleasure is good treatment? Its not.
case and point.

see that bolded text above?

that's exactly what i'm talking about. no matter how nice you are, or how intelligent you may be, if you're pretty this is what some people think and how people treat you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 3,784,673 times
Reputation: 13140
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
I didn't say I deserve perks cause of how i look. I SAID I DESERVE IT TO MAKE UP FOR ALL THE CRAP I HAVE TO GO THRU ON A REGULAR BASIS. So if someone does something nice for me every now and then, yeah I do fell I deserve it. And I'm grateful for whenever somebody does something nice for me, cause most of the time I'm given a hard time.

And you posted a double standard. First you say that "No one should be treated a certain way because of how they look..." Then you said unacttractive people deserve more perks than attractive people?

whatever. i got enough problems. i'm not about to sit here and argue with anybody about my life which you know nothing about.

fin.


You did say that you deserve perks because of what you go through on a regular basis, which is due to how you look, yes?

No one should be treated wrongly because of how they look - I mean that. But my point was that if ANYONE deserved perks due to how they looked, I would give it to unattractive people. They certainly have it worse than you.

Discussing and arguing are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You did say that you deserve perks because of what you go through on a regular basis, which is due to how you look, yes?

No one should be treated wrongly because of how they look - I mean that. But my point was that if ANYONE deserved perks due to how they looked, I would give it to unattractive people. They certainly have it worse than you.

Discussing and arguing are two different things.

I don't think either has it easier or harder or any of that. It would be nice if life was that simple that all you had to do was be pretty or ugly and all your problems go away.

People who just go with the ugly thing have their other strengths and vice versa.

Everyone has their s to shovel.

No one gets special treatment based on how they look. Now on how they act...thats a whole nother can o'beans. haa haa!

I don't see why a bookworm with intellectual skills and a butter face gets better treatment because she is ugly. Pretty is not her thing. But she can stand on her own and doesn't need special treatment because she is not so hot.

People get jealous and forget that life is just a story of exchanging one set of complications for another.
While the grass may look greener on the other side of that fence...doesn't mean that it actually is the place you imagine it to be. It may look good...but standing knee deep in it: you still will smell the fertilizer of life that makes that grass grow. It may seem like paradise from a distance but you are still standing in BS.


Classic story of the golden cage and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top