U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Yakima WA
3,873 posts, read 4,302,706 times
Reputation: 3182

Advertisements

I disagree with the OP. There is less concern about body image than ever before, more "fat pride" etc. There might be individuals who are obssesed with appearence, but they are the exceptions to the rule these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,464,353 times
Reputation: 5327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I disagree with the OP. There is less concern about body image than ever before, more "fat pride" etc. There might be individuals who are obssesed with appearence, but they are the exceptions to the rule these days.

That would be an obsession of the body too to go as far as to label yourself with that and/or to take it to the level where one does skinny bashing.
Fat pride obsession is just on the higher end of the weight spectrum.


Obsessions:
"-the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc."

" -
to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally."


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obsession


I see no difference between fat pride and pro ana when it comes to obsessions and deluded thoughts that will affect your health.

I think the whole idea of fat acceptance may of started off well like feminism but eventually it developed into the creature it was trying to fight in the first place: Hate based interactions and judgements.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Yakima WA
3,873 posts, read 4,302,706 times
Reputation: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
That would be an obsession of the body too to go as far as to label yourself with that and/or to take it to the level where one does skinny bashing.
Fat pride obsession is just on the higher end of the weight spectrum.


Obsessions:
"-the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc."

" -
to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally."


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obsession


I see no difference between fat pride and pro ana when it comes to obsessions and deluded thoughts that will affect your health.

I think the whole idea of fat acceptance may of started off well like feminism but eventually it developed into the creature it was trying to fight in the first place: Hate based interactions and judgements.



I never thought about it that way. You changed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
 
124 posts, read 179,396 times
Reputation: 168
Lightbulb somebody who gets it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I don't think either has it easier or harder or any of that. It would be nice if life was that simple that all you had to do was be pretty or ugly and all your problems go away.

People who just go with the ugly thing have their other strengths and vice versa.

Everyone has their s to shovel.

No one gets special treatment based on how they look. Now on how they act...thats a whole nother can o'beans. haa haa!

I don't see why a bookworm with intellectual skills and a butter face gets better treatment because she is ugly. Pretty is not her thing. But she can stand on her own and doesn't need special treatment because she is not so hot.

People get jealous and forget that life is just a story of exchanging one set of complications for another.
While the grass may look greener on the other side of that fence...doesn't mean that it actually is the place you imagine it to be. It may look good...but standing knee deep in it: you still will smell the fertilizer of life that makes that grass grow. It may seem like paradise from a distance but you are still standing in BS.


Classic story of the golden cage and all.
exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,443,945 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My sister is actually on the slim side, yet she constantly complains about being fat. In fact at one point we thought she might even be on the road to full blown anorexia, when she started losing weight. She's not single anymore and is busy with kids, but she's always been considered very attractive. I can't help but maybe she's hung up about being model skinny, which is just really annoying.

I mean people in general today - especially women - are so hung up about every little bit about their body. Too fat, their belly is a little wide, boobs a little saggy, legs too short, head too big, hair too frizzy, eyes are too small...they go to great pains about it. It's so obsessive! Is it because they just don't have anything else to think about/give their attention to? I mean a sizable segment, not all, of course. And then there's men who are obsessed with body building, ugh, honestly the ones who constantly bang on about it are annoying to be with. Some men can definitely be just as vain. I literally spend a few minutes in front of the mirror every morning - wash my face, shave, comb my hair and clean my teeth that's about it. I don't really bother having 'hairstyles', I just want something practical. I don't really care about 'fashion' at all.

I always hear that the media and stuff influences people, but why are people still obsessing over what fashion magazines tell them or how celebrities look? Why are we as a society so darn superficial and plain OBSESSIVE about our looks? It's grown to ridiculous proportions. Is that what a lot of people think about all day? Looks are so fleeting, I don't want to be judged on something so superficial anyway...
Because looks are important. Because good looking people get promotions and earn more throughout their lifetime.

Especially if you are a woman, no matter what your station in life or what you choose to do, you will be evaluated on your looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,248,417 times
Reputation: 12788
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Because looks are important. Because good looking people get promotions and earn more throughout their lifetime.

Especially if you are a woman, no matter what your station in life or what you choose to do, you will be evaluated on your looks.
This is absolutely true... for both men and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 PM
 
9,415 posts, read 11,314,827 times
Reputation: 20187
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Because looks are important. Because good looking people get promotions and earn more throughout their lifetime.

Especially if you are a woman, no matter what your station in life or what you choose to do, you will be evaluated on your looks.
Oh goodness, heaven forbid we're judged on whether we have a brain or not rather than whether we have a pretty face and fake *******

Women like you perpetuate the myth honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,873,785 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh goodness, heaven forbid we're judged on whether we have a brain or not rather than whether we have a pretty face and fake *******

Women like you perpetuate the myth honey.
I've experienced what she said first hand.

Its very true that the more attractive you are, the better you will do in your career regardless of your experience and knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,443,945 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh goodness, heaven forbid we're judged on whether we have a brain or not rather than whether we have a pretty face and fake *******

Women like you perpetuate the myth honey.
Why the personal attack? In life, everything's easier when you have the whole package. It would be nice if people weren't the least bit superficial or shallow but we don't live in an alternate universe that such were the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,248,417 times
Reputation: 12788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh goodness, heaven forbid we're judged on whether we have a brain or not rather than whether we have a pretty face and fake *******

Women like you perpetuate the myth honey.
It's clear that you're not a fan of academic research or science. In society, we use these to identify patterns and determine relationships and correlations. While you're entitled to your opinion that goes against what human behavioral scientists have observed, there's no reason to attack xxbabeechick just because she believes in the credibility of this academic research.

According to this research, there is a correlation between the portrayed image, and their success. Philosophers attribute this to natural selection. There's few things, if anything, that us humans do that go against laws of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top