U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its on you too. Enjoy those taxes and pollution.
Come on, be honest. You don't dislike obesity because you are concerned with taxes and pollution. You dislike it because it is unsightly to look at; and really you probably find it downright physically repulsive. I feel the same way. There is no use pretending otherwise because nobody is buying it. The "fat acceptance" movement makes me rank a lot higher than I would have 30 years ago, so I say let them keep eating their cake and spare the the lectures. As for taxes, rest assured knowing that the obese will all die off early anyway so it all evens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
who says she was 'lovely and funny?' You? What major movies have you seen her in besides playing a joke on Road Trip?

I don't know the woman and it's a shame she died and all but really I don't weight 300lbs and I don't weight 115lbs, either way it has nothing to do with this random woman and whatever her problem was.

if somebody doesn't care about their weight -- why the heck do you? Women are going to 'openly embrace' their bodies, regardless of whether or not you think they are 'acceptable.' This would make sense, seeing as it primarily affects the person living in that body.
Aw Doll, I like to think that the more exposure we have to these stories, the more awareness is out there for others. I hate to see women, men too for that matter, embracing obesity. Tolerating it, working to overcome it, good. In essence, we have the "right" to embrace whatever we want, and I support that theory, but I just find it sad. It's sort of one of my high horse issues.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Well if they know about health...why didn't she know to go off BC and address other health issues etc before having that done when the procedure is risky enough itself? You won't die from a painful knee.

Why do they deny having weight on adds to risk?
Who says she was?...Maybe she trusted the great doctor to do what was right?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
I know how people love to rant on about thin models being unhealthy.

Here is the other side of the coin people are OPENLY embracing with the body acceptance movement taken to the extreme by some.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386050/Mia-Amber-Davis-Road-Trip-Actress-plus-size-model-dies-36.html

Being overweight will do two things: Add damage to your knee or aggravate old injury and increase your chance of blood clots post surgery.

At the time of her having knee issues she was over 300 lbs.

Know what you are promoting as body acceptance is not always a good thing when people lose sight of reason and common sense.

I have to wonder if women like this don't lose weight to stay in touch with fans and to keep working within the image they have made marketable.

This girl was lovely and funny...Now she is gone.

Don't promote obesity and call it body acceptance.

There is a huge difference in accepting shallow flaws and accepting dangerous weights that damage the body. If you love yourself and your body you will take care if it. Not abuse it and call it acceptance.
I have known a good many people who had knee surgery who were not obese. Quite the opposite in fact, the people who have the knee injuries seem to be very athletic and active and in good shape. Anyone who has knee surgery can get a blood clot. As it says in the article.... ""Nothing has been confirmed but the coroner did tell us that he thinks Mia died from a blood clot related to the knee surgery," she adds. "We are just now finding this out that this is all too common and people don't know the risks of arthroscopic surgery. They need to be made aware of the risks."...

It does not sound to me as though obesity was a consideration.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
The obese out there can deny it all they care to, but they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice. When you live life at that high of a weight, you are courting disaster. At best....you are inevitably cheating yourself out of many years of living, loving, and enjoying what this planet has to offer. At worst....you are a ticking time-bomb, a time-bomb that can go off at any moment. If you're lucky, you'll just conk out for good. If not, you'll lay in a hospital bed for an infinite amount of time, racking up a bill that you'll most likely not be able to pay down in 10 lifetimes....thereby passing it off, disguised as higher insurance premiums.

Don't believe it? Put down that bowl of ice cream, go see your physician and request a stress test and have your blood checked for cholesterol levels. If no one else cares, you at the very least owe it to yourself.
And you know what else...if these folks only have themselves to worry about, no kids or family, then it's easier to try and swallow. I hate knowing there are kids who lose their parents over this. And there are.
It's avoidable, so why let it happen. You are right.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
In Fashion and Beauty? Calling fat people disgusting? Not really. I looked back a few pages, the only one that comes close is the one about overweight women in tight clothing, which was really bashing their clothing choices more than the women themselves.

Call a model disgusting and hideous and you're a crusader. Call attention to the health risks of obesity and you get jumped on .
Do you think that if tall slender woman wore the same tight clothing, people would still "bash" their clothes choices?...You can "call attention to the health risks of obesity" very easily without singleing out people.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
And you know what else...if these folks only have themselves to worry about, no kids or family, then it's easier to try and swallow. I hate knowing there are kids who lose their parents over this. And there are.
It's avoidable, so why let it happen. You are right.
Really? Do you really sitting around thinking about orphans? Their lives without parents consumes you so much you actually "hate" knowing this is happening? Come on, you don't care.

Why is it so hard for people to admit they just don't like fat people? This is the internet and you are anonymous. You can tell the truth here.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,581,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Aw Doll, I like to think that the more exposure we have to these stories, the more awareness is out there for others. I hate to see women, men too for that matter, embracing obesity. Tolerating it, working to overcome it, good. In essence, we have the "right" to embrace whatever we want, and I support that theory, but I just find it sad. It's sort of one of my high horse issues.

I don't see anyone here "embracing obesity?" I'm not 'embracing' being overweight. I'm just not about to do something in my life, because a bunch of people have decided that's what I should do. Makes no sense for anyone to beleive they can beat someone over the head with their agenda and that person will actually listen more closely the 100th time around.....I don't even so much as care about the obesity issue as I do about people overstepping their boundaries and trying to force things upon others that they've said a number of times they either don't care about or have zero plans to change. People are going to continue to hate and downgrade fat people whether I go on a diet or not. So in that case, I may as well do what I want in life, just like every other adult is doing. *shrugs*

It seems okay for people to wag their fingers at religious folks who repeatedly shove their 'way of life' onto others, but people that shove their lifestyle on onto 'fat people' get applauded. My point is both of these examples need to mind their own damn buisness. If someone wants to convert to your religion they will call you. If someone wants you to plan their diet -- they will call you.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
But couldn't you say that about any opinion expressed online?
Pretty much. Most people do not care about some stranger's unsolicited opinion/advice.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM

749 posts, read 689,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Really? Do you really sitting around thinking about orphans? Their lives without parents consumes you so much you actually "hate" knowing this is happening? Come on, you don't care.

Why is it so hard for people to admit they just don't like fat people? This is the internet and you are anonymous. You can tell the truth here.
Who the **** are you....Mr. Wizard?

Do YOU sit around, thinking about what OTHER people are really thinking about different topics?

I don't know you, and therefor can't tell whether or not you're full of food, but you are definitely full of ****!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or