U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,443,887 times

Advertisements

There is also a difference between what I consider a "smell" or "stink" (which usually comes from true uncleanliness) and a "scent" which is a natural odor that a reasonably clean person has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
i prefer to smell like fresh laundry then the natural sent of a fresh fart, natures urine necter, humming human fecus, or BO.

but to each is own.......

being clean and hygenic dates back to the ancient egyptions nothing new

Ancient Egypt: Personal Hygiene and Cosmetics
Do you work in sewage? Because that's the only way I can imagine a person smelling like pee or poo after an average day.

I think daily showers are excessive for most people. If you sweat, get actually dirty, work with food etc then yeah, daily shower makes sense. But if your days consist mostly of sitting at a desk in an air conditioned building, a daily shower isn't necessary. But say that to some people and they'll act like you just expressed a preference for playing with your bowel movements before flushing.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

944 posts, read 1,365,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Do you work in sewage? Because that's the only way I can imagine a person smelling like pee or poo after an average day.

I think daily showers are excessive for most people. If you sweat, get actually dirty, work with food etc then yeah, daily shower makes sense. But if your days consist mostly of sitting at a desk in an air conditioned building, a daily shower isn't necessary. But say that to some people and they'll act like you just expressed a preference for playing with your bowel movements before flushing.

i must start my day and end my day with a luxury shower and in the middle of the day after working out i take a quickie shower I don't wash my hair every day i go to the salon every mon wed and fri for a wash and blow dry.

i know people who can start or end a day with out a shower I can't

Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,579,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
OK, just a weird topic for discussion.

Anyway, here goes. I'm FAR from the earth-mother/hippie type, however, I've long felt that, as a society, we have gone from one extreme, i.e., being afraid to bathe for health reasons a few hundred years ago, to basically trying to be completely sterile (clean/sterile, not reproductively sterile) these days.

There is this prevailing attitude out there, especially when regarding sex and relationships, that if there is a single hair where it "shouldn't" be, or one drop of sweat, or one tiny ounce of natural odor, that we are somehow dirty, unclean, and unworthy of attention.

While I do shower daily and have what I consider to be good hygiene, both my husband and myself actually like, and prefer, that the other have a bit of their "natural" scent, we find it far more alluring and romantic that way. Same with our body hair -- I do shave my legs and underarms, but that's it, and my husband does not do the "manscaping" thing, he does shave his face and cut his hair of course, however.

I think we, as a society, are basically trying to make ourselves into mannequins - no odors, no hairs anywhere but the head and eyebrows, even surgically altering our genitals (especially women and the "designer vagina" fad) to meet some "ideal".

Then there is our obsession with weight and fitness. Again, it's one of extremes. Either you're fat and lazy, or you work out 6 hours a day and want this perfect body...what happened to just eating right, being active, and being as healthy as you can, while accepting that you don't look like a Barbie doll or Arnold Schwarzenegger during his pre "Governator" era? Not everyone can, or even should, look like that!

It even extends to what we do for recreation - it seems like kids these days don't want to do anything that gets their hands dirty, or makes them sweat, they'd rather play with their video games and iPods.

I'm not against shaving, or even plastic surgery in cases where it is truly beneficial, and, in the end, I do consider it a personal choice, but am I wrong here? Same thing with being clean, I am a clean person, I don't smell or look unkempt, but I don't go crazy with it, and am not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Really my argument is more one of moderation and common sense...but have we gone a bit too far with all this?
Here is my list, rough estimate:
dove soap
deodorant/tooth paste,etc
3 perfumes
4 Bath & Body/Carol's Daughter products.
3 hair products.
2 nail polishes.
2 lipsticks/glosses
1 foundation (for the random important event)
4 personal hygiene products.

That's it.
That was TMI, I know, but it was just to prove a point. I have seen some women's bathrooms and bureaus with 35, 40 different products. WTH. Now if that's how they wish to spend their money and require that much to look good, that's their buisness. But I do not wear make up daily and couldn't care less about obtaining a 'designer vagina.' That your husband doesn't do the 'manscaping' thing is not a big problem, IMO. I prefer to shave because I like it...I agree with you that some people go overboard with looking a certain way, not just hygiene. The fact that some people have interpreted what you said as 'being dirty,' proves that point.

My advice is just keep doing things the way you are. If you or I ran out and did all these wacky things that the media, other women, men, etc. say we should do concerning our looks, we would be hot mannequin messes like some women out there. LOL. No thanks! If men are not interested in REAL women anymore, then I guess I'm out of luck. *shrugs* But am I going to run out and change? Nope. As long as you're clean and hygienic nothing else is required!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

A daily shower is definitely not always necessary, for me. Unless it's very hot, or I'm strenuously working out daily (which I usually don't...I do significant cardio an average of three days a week, usually with a day in between), every other day will do me. If there's some legitimate reason to shower daily for hygiene reasons (menstrual cycle comes to mind), that's fine. I just don't really see the point in showering in instances when I'm not dirty, and don't smell.

My dad spent 40+ years ripping off roofs, and farming. He needed to shower every day. Not the case with me. And I DEFINITELY don't need to wash my hair every day...it's much better if I don't.

I used to buy into the grooming marketing as a teen and young adult, and had the cabinets and shelves full of beauty and hygiene products, and complex regimens. Now, in my thirties, I've streamlined it to the basics...a typical day sees me either taking a shower, or planning on doing so the next day, washing my face, plucking any stray brows/hair that annoys me, throwing on a blob of face moisturizer with sunscreen, a dusting of translucent face powder if it's humid/I'm shiny, a coat of mascara, and some tinted lipbalm if my lips are chapped. Maybe some shea or cocoa butter lotion on my legs if it's winter and my skin is dry. Teeth brushed, deodorant applied, and I'm done. Will I go a bit more all-out if I have a dressy date, or if I'm in a wedding party? Sure. But day to day? A complex beauty routine sucks up a lot of time that I'd just much rather spend doing other things. Primping, beyond the basics, is kind of boring. I also find men who are much more than wash 'n go to be rather tiresome.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
i must start my day and end my day with a luxury shower and in the middle of the day after working out i take a quickie shower I don't wash my hair every day i go to the salon every mon wed and fri for a wash and blow dry.

i know people who can start or end a day with out a shower I can't
As long as you realize you're satisfying psychological needs, not hygienic ones.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Yeah, there is no hygienic reason to pay somebody to wash and dry your hair for you three mornings a week.

Lavender, if you take "a luxury shower," whatever that is, every day and every night, plus an additional shower midday, PLUS thrice-weekly salon trips, what do you manage to accomplish the rest of the day? I am assuming there's a fairly time- and labor-intensive cosmetic regimen that occurs jointly with all these experiences. Doesn't that pretty much eat up the day?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,443,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I agree with @CrueRulz and @Trimac20. There are some basic expectations about hygiene, but there is no need in my book to remove every hair, and cover your natural scent 24/7 with endless applications of perfume and cologne to eliminate every trace of humanness.

I am one of those people who definitely needs a strong deodorant, but I don't need strong scented personal care products. It is surprising, but many people have a pleasant "unadulterated" scent.
Yup.

Let me put this another way...one time, back when my husband and I were just dating, I'd been working out when he came over. I was sweaty and figured I smelled bad. I had planned to shower, but he was insistent that I turned him on the way I was, and I soon learned that I too liked my husband's scent after a workout. I'm not talking about a "stink" - I mean, this is the type of thing that when you'er clean beforehand, and wearing deodorant, and you get a noticeable, but not particularly rancid, scent after a workout, when the sweat etc. is still "fresh". I guess I can't describe it. It's not the same as someone who's just unclean and hasn't showered in a few days. I don't know if it's a chemical compatibility thing, because with other men I'd dated, I found their post-workout/sweaty scents to be anything from mildly pleasant to off-putting, but I do like my husband's, and he loves mine.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,326,141 times
Regular human body odor is generally not offensive. Most westerners have been brainwashed into thinking that it is. Advertisers love when we buy into (and buy) their crap lines about body odor. Also it's not healthy to regularly cover our pores with chemicals that smother our body's natural processes.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM

706 posts, read 911,897 times
I admit to being somewhat obsessed about my appearance. Totally guilty of watching my weight and exercising a lot to keep my body in tip top shape. Its funny, because I read about men who complain about their wives picking up extra weight after having kids and/or not dressing as nice or keeping their hair/makeup done. I guess I never want my hubby to not think I'm hot or as attractive anymore like when we first met. That's another reason why I work so hard on my body and appearance. Besides, I love to look great. Not a crime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or