U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 AM

11,442 posts, read 19,478,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
What the hand sanitizer crowd doesn't get is: Hand sanitizer is nothing but alcohol in gel form. It will dry out and break down your skin. It doesn't get you "clean" ---- that's what soap and water is for.

As for the bank teller ---- the idiot didn't have to "sanitize" after every customer. She would have been better to just wash her hands thoroughly at her break times.
I am diabetic and I have to test my blood. I carry a few alcohol swabs for times washing isn't available. I can test on my arm -- and boy, for a week I had to test with the swabs -- and the alcohol wreaked havoc on my skin. Glad to get back to soap and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,446,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
There's a guy at my job who is obsessed with the "clean" thing.... he uses the word 'hygiene' constantly and he sounds like a moron. He actually said if he's at home and has to poo, he will take a shower afterwards, even if he just took a shower.

He also gets his eyebrows waxed because, according to him, it's "hygenic". I had to explain to him the difference between "hygenic" and an "asthetic" He constantly uses hand sanitizer and even offered it to me once when he saw my hand inside the SIDE of my pant top (on my hip). I told him I showered this AM so my body is clean. He and his female friend (another one who thinks she's sooo clean, etc, even though her b/f has slept with every hooker and stripper this side of NJ) were just giggling about it as if I'm some filthy thing. Two morons.
That's kind of what I mean. TMI, but I don't shower every time I poo, that's just silly. I do know how to wipe myself properly, and can't see why people like that apparently cannot do so.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM

3,053 posts, read 3,435,010 times
It seems like you're asking a lot of different questions in the same post.

I'm overly obsessed with hygeine and smelling good and I'm not afraid to admit it. Of course I shower daily. At all times I carry around deodorant (I have two containers in my bag in case I lose one) and body spray. I carry around a toothbrush and toothpaste at all times. I'm a waitress, and most of the time I won't have my notepad or book in my apron (like I should), but I always have deodorant, body spray, and a toothbrush in there. I am afraid of the idea of body odor and I love when people tell me that I smell so good.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,291,424 times
I Believe there can be "too much"; however circumstantial

Many apply deodorant throughout the day without rewashing their underarm which is backwards and disgusting.
Body Sprays are another over utilize bad ideal. People attempt to cover their BO with said sprays only to make a mixture of semi-funk and Cucumber Apricot.

Does anyone use Perfume/cologne in moderation in 2012?

Best Award goes to the scent obessed smoker! You smoke, chew gum which never helps,next they squirt some scent over clothing which makes your stench more pronounced. However A for effort..

Have you ever sprayed air freshener in smelly shoes; not wise!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Let's see. I stopped soaking in the tub as a method of getting clean, when I realized I was soaking in my own filth, mixed with water and used soap. So when we had a tub (our current house doesn't have one), and I wanted a hot soak, I'd take a shower *first* and then fill up the tub and luxuriate.

Other than that, I can't think of any time I have ever, in my entire life, attempted to bathe/shower twice in the same day.

On very very hot humid impossible days where I can't deal with not having air conditioning, I might jump in the shower and let the cold water run for a few minutes, just to cool off. But I don't consider that "taking a shower." Nor do I consider floating on my floatie in the pool on hot days "bathing."

Other than these kinds of things, I shower usually every other day. Sometimes more often. Sometimes less often. It depends on whether or not I did anything to get dirty.

As for hygiene - someone mentioned in an earlier thread having 4 different personal hygiene products? Apart from tampons and toilet paper, I can't even begin to imagine what they mean by that. I remember when douching was "in style" and was obligatory advertisement during soap operas around 20 years ago. But since they discovered that most women who do that, get yeast infections, those ads have pretty much died. I've heard they now have "feminine wipes" - which are thick cloth-like tissues saturated in some kind of liquid. Personally, I'd much rather be -dry- down there, than intentionally smear something -wet- down there. Wet + hot + air = yeast infection and bad smells. That's why pantyhose went out of style too. Traps in the moisture and heat, while at the same time exposing to air, and you end up with the raging froth of hell.
If I sit in a bath I must take a shower after, can't imagine doing the opposite.

I can not explain how or why your post is so funny! Good Post

Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM

15,535 posts, read 29,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
OK, just a weird topic for discussion.

Anyway, here goes. I'm FAR from the earth-mother/hippie type, however, I've long felt that, as a society, we have gone from one extreme, i.e., being afraid to bathe for health reasons a few hundred years ago, to basically trying to be completely sterile (clean/sterile, not reproductively sterile) these days.

There is this prevailing attitude out there, especially when regarding sex and relationships, that if there is a single hair where it "shouldn't" be, or one drop of sweat, or one tiny ounce of natural odor, that we are somehow dirty, unclean, and unworthy of attention.

While I do shower daily and have what I consider to be good hygiene, both my husband and myself actually like, and prefer, that the other have a bit of their "natural" scent, we find it far more alluring and romantic that way. Same with our body hair -- I do shave my legs and underarms, but that's it, and my husband does not do the "manscaping" thing, he does shave his face and cut his hair of course, however.

I think we, as a society, are basically trying to make ourselves into mannequins - no odors, no hairs anywhere but the head and eyebrows, even surgically altering our genitals (especially women and the "designer vagina" fad) to meet some "ideal".

Then there is our obsession with weight and fitness. Again, it's one of extremes. Either you're fat and lazy, or you work out 6 hours a day and want this perfect body...what happened to just eating right, being active, and being as healthy as you can, while accepting that you don't look like a Barbie doll or Arnold Schwarzenegger during his pre "Governator" era? Not everyone can, or even should, look like that!

It even extends to what we do for recreation - it seems like kids these days don't want to do anything that gets their hands dirty, or makes them sweat, they'd rather play with their video games and iPods.

I'm not against shaving, or even plastic surgery in cases where it is truly beneficial, and, in the end, I do consider it a personal choice, but am I wrong here? Same thing with being clean, I am a clean person, I don't smell or look unkempt, but I don't go crazy with it, and am not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Really my argument is more one of moderation and common sense...but have we gone a bit too far with all this?
You make many good points here.

In addition, there is another aspect of how this mentality is not good is the fact that we are slathering all manner of toxic chemicals on our largest organ (the skin) which is absorbed into the body. Never before in history have we been inundated with the level of toxicity that we experience on a day by day basis. Just take a look at the chemicals in any given "beauty aid" such as shampoo, conditioner, antiperspirant, mouthwash, etc. These are chemicals that our body does not know how to get rid of! There is no way for us to remove them except to detox protocol, which 99 percent of the population does not even know about.

Take into consideration also that most people do not need to shower every single day. People who do not "work up a sweat" at work are not DIRTY, every day we use billions and billions of gallons of water showering unnecessarily. People say...."My hair gets greasy if I don't wash it every day". Well, if you didn't slap $20 worth of greasy hair products on it, this wouldn't happen. It is a very rare occasion when 100 percent natural hair (not full of gel, spray, conditioner, etc), needs to be washed every single day.

Personally, I don't have a problem with "natural odor" as long as people don't stink from BO indicating they have not washed for a week or so. Even a natural WORK ODOR is not that bad. Honestly, perfume is so dreadfully overused and abused I'd really almost RATHER smell a good stink than being assaulted with all manner of cologne on a daily basis. Some of that stuff can really turn your stomach.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM

706 posts, read 913,888 times
I think people sometimes do go overboard with the plastic surgery. Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with a person going the extra mile to look their best. Some are minimalists, and that's fine...others like getting all dolled up from day to day and that's fine too. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM

11,442 posts, read 19,478,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I do! I have one scent that I spray on because it fades quickly into a nice light warm scent(Jean Nate), one scent that I spray on one wrist and rub that wrist on the other and my neck (Origins Ginger Essence) and one that I spray two spritzes in the air and walk into (Estee Lauder Sensuous).

Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM

26,897 posts, read 28,215,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post

Absolutely! I tend towards lighter scents in general. And you only get a whiff if you come close.

My current list:
La Vanille: Vanilla Grapefruit
Pop Sugar Sensual
Nectarine Blossom and Honey by Jo Malone

Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Absolutely! I tend towards lighter scents in general. And you only get a whiff if you come close.

My current list:
La Vanille: Vanilla Grapefruit
Pop Sugar Sensual
Nectarine Blossom and Honey by Jo Malone
You will always leave quite the impression. However if you Pour your fragrance atop your body the impression may not be one you'll boost about.

Taught from a young age to utilize cologne in moderation better yet, strategically!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or