Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

I shower everyday sometimes every other day. Hygiene is important and some people DO need to bathe every day and use scented products. Has any one ever got into a elevator that smells like BO? What about a bus or train the smells like fish?

I guess city living amplifies the importance of hygiene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
I was at the gym the other day on an eliptical and this fat guy in cut-off military shorts (probably not authentic, he seemed like a punk/gothic type) and a pony tail gets on the one right next to me. He literally smelled like homeless person ass.

If you have ever used a restroom in an outdoor mall or somewhere urban that homeless people use as well...it smells beyond nasty restroom odor....more like a million unwashed backsides.

The smell was so bad...think sweaty homeless ass mixed with bad pork.......

I moved to a different machine and eventually a better gym

Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
I'm another who showers every morning. Then when I get home from the gym I take another bath or shower. I thought that was common practice.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I'm another who showers every morning. Then when I get home from the gym I take another bath or shower. I thought that was common practice.

Well, what do you do between your second shower and waking up the next morning that requires another shower in the morning? Barring nightly bedroom activities, I don't see why eating dinner and going to bed makes you dirty enough to need to shower again.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
Barring bedroom activities, nothing. And I'm probably not dirty enough to NEED a shower in the morning, but it's what I've become used to. We're all creatures of habit I guess.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,318,692 times
"The smell was so bad...think sweaty homeless ass mixed with bad pork......."

Pear Martini, that is beyond hilarious.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Let's see. I stopped soaking in the tub as a method of getting clean, when I realized I was soaking in my own filth, mixed with water and used soap. So when we had a tub (our current house doesn't have one), and I wanted a hot soak, I'd take a shower *first* and then fill up the tub and luxuriate.

Other than that, I can't think of any time I have ever, in my entire life, attempted to bathe/shower twice in the same day.

On very very hot humid impossible days where I can't deal with not having air conditioning, I might jump in the shower and let the cold water run for a few minutes, just to cool off. But I don't consider that "taking a shower." Nor do I consider floating on my floatie in the pool on hot days "bathing."

Other than these kinds of things, I shower usually every other day. Sometimes more often. Sometimes less often. It depends on whether or not I did anything to get dirty.

As for hygiene - someone mentioned in an earlier thread having 4 different personal hygiene products? Apart from tampons and toilet paper, I can't even begin to imagine what they mean by that. I remember when douching was "in style" and was obligatory advertisement during soap operas around 20 years ago. But since they discovered that most women who do that, get yeast infections, those ads have pretty much died. I've heard they now have "feminine wipes" - which are thick cloth-like tissues saturated in some kind of liquid. Personally, I'd much rather be -dry- down there, than intentionally smear something -wet- down there. Wet + hot + air = yeast infection and bad smells. That's why pantyhose went out of style too. Traps in the moisture and heat, while at the same time exposing to air, and you end up with the raging froth of hell.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
There's a guy at my job who is obsessed with the "clean" thing.... he uses the word 'hygiene' constantly and he sounds like a moron. He actually said if he's at home and has to poo, he will take a shower afterwards, even if he just took a shower.

He also gets his eyebrows waxed because, according to him, it's "hygenic". I had to explain to him the difference between "hygenic" and an "asthetic" He constantly uses hand sanitizer and even offered it to me once when he saw my hand inside the SIDE of my pant top (on my hip). I told him I showered this AM so my body is clean. He and his female friend (another one who thinks she's sooo clean, etc, even though her b/f has slept with every hooker and stripper this side of NJ) were just giggling about it as if I'm some filthy thing. Two morons.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
There's a guy at my job who is obsessed with the "clean" thing.... he uses the word 'hygiene' constantly and he sounds like a moron. He actually said if he's at home and has to poo, he will take a shower afterwards, even if he just took a shower.

He also gets his eyebrows waxed because, according to him, it's "hygenic". I had to explain to him the difference between "hygenic" and an "asthetic" He constantly uses hand sanitizer and even offered it to me once when he saw my hand inside the SIDE of my pant top (on my hip). I told him I showered this AM so my body is clean. He and his female friend (another one who thinks she's sooo clean, etc, even though her b/f has slept with every hooker and stripper this side of NJ) were just giggling about it as if I'm some filthy thing. Two morons.
Hand sanitizer. Worked at a bank and had a teller bring in hand sanitizer for every teller window and then used it after EVERY CUSTOMER. Not only did that slow her down (and she wasn't the quickest teller in the first place) in a month she had gone through like 3 containers of that and skin started peeling off her hands. In sheets.

I never did understand it -- money is FILTHY. Beyond unsanitary -- it's filthy dirty.... and all you are doing is "sanitizing" dirt. Which you can't do.

I was (and still am) quite diligent about hand washing -- wash with lots of lather for 30 seconds, rinse for 30 seconds -- longer if I've been digging around in garbage (I'm a janitor, and sometime you have to do that). Barely get sick.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Hand sanitizer. Worked at a bank and had a teller bring in hand sanitizer for every teller window and then used it after EVERY CUSTOMER. Not only did that slow her down (and she wasn't the quickest teller in the first place) in a month she had gone through like 3 containers of that and skin started peeling off her hands. In sheets.

I never did understand it -- money is FILTHY. Beyond unsanitary -- it's filthy dirty.... and all you are doing is "sanitizing" dirt. Which you can't do.

I was (and still am) quite diligent about hand washing -- wash with lots of lather for 30 seconds, rinse for 30 seconds -- longer if I've been digging around in garbage (I'm a janitor, and sometime you have to do that). Barely get sick.

What the hand sanitizer crowd doesn't get is: Hand sanitizer is nothing but alcohol in gel form. It will dry out and break down your skin. It doesn't get you "clean" ---- that's what soap and water is for.

As for the bank teller ---- the idiot didn't have to "sanitize" after every customer. She would have been better to just wash her hands thoroughly at her break times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty