U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
People do it.. not 3X a week though! Special occassions. Once in a while. There is definitely a market for a blow dry, if I thought they'd do I good job with my hair, I would go too. But maybe once ever few months. There is more than enough demand to keep these places open, but I think the frequency of visits for loyal customers looks more like 1x per week not 4x per week.

Most people don't have that kind of time. Especially if they have any sort of commute at all. It takes an hour to get from one side of the bay to another when there is no traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,818,040 times
Quote:
Different Strokes For Different Folks In Different Demographics. ROFL
Your profile says that you attended Institut Le Rosey. You wrote a "La" instead of "Le." You went to school there, but don't know how to spell it?

Quote:
Sounds Like My Planet Is Very Different Then Some Of You. HA HA HA HA
Yes, it sounds like your planet is very different. Have fun...

Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 PM

484 posts, read 691,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Your profile says that you attended Institut Le Rosey. You wrote a "La" instead of "Le." You went to school there, but don't know how to spell it?

Yes, it sounds like your planet is very different. Have fun...

No, I did not spell it wrong you may have read it wrong, and I don't know what my personal profile/eduction has to do with this thread.

BTW this thread is not about me, its about sophistication. But thanks, for the attention and checking out my profile. LOL

Last edited by Peerage; 07-13-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,818,040 times
Quote:
No, I did not spell it wrong you may have read it wrong
Yes you did. You just changed it.

But enjoy your fantasies. lol

Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I can be sophisticated if I need to be. I keep myself abreast of current events, gadgets etc. and I consider myself intelligent.

However, I don't really give a rats patootie about current 'fashion' and when I dress up it's strictly vintage or vintage inspired. Usually, I'm in a tshirt and jeans, though. No makeup, my hair is kept natural most of the time.
Sophistication is feeling classy in a jeans and T, it's about attitude, not look!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
I'm confused with your reply to the other poster. maybe, a post was deleted or edited.

I myself get my hair done professionally a few times a week [2-4x]. Its a very common practice for the girl on the go who has a active work and social schedule.

The Hair industry professionals have been marketing the blow and go, dry bar concept for a few years in major cosmopolitan cities. It has become a very lucrative business for. www.myblowla.com here is a example.

As per showering I take two a day, unless, I have a social engagement or involved with a activity during the day that caused me to sweat and or feel sticky or uncomfortable.

Sophistication, Is not just how you look outside but who you are within. It's a quality of refinement, a display of good taste and social etiquette.
Seriously, 3 times a week? I can't imagine. I'm sure you have the disposable income. I get a haircut about once every 3 months...

Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
Showering 3 times a day isn't necessarily absurd: it depends on an individuals lifestyle, occupation and personal hygiene needs.

For instance, I probably shower 3 times a day if I'm going out for the evening.

Once in the morning after a jog (and before work).
When I get home from work, prior to 'glamming up' for the evening (especially if it's been hot- the AC in my car isn't great).
And once before bed- especially since I'm somewhat prone to allergies (if you've been outside, allergens and pollen in the air can sit on your skin, inflaming allergies further), plus, why would you want to go to bed 'dirty'?

On usual days though- I shower twice a day.

This is FAR from high maintenance- it's meeting my hygiene and lifestyle needs.

As for hair cuts though- only about once a month / once every 6 weeks.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM

382 posts, read 619,000 times
What one might deem sophisticated one might view as vain. We live in a world where everything is relative.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,574,741 times
[quote=TabulaRasa;25137480]To me, sophistication has to do more with intelligence, exposure to a wide range of experiences (i.e., not a person who has never been outside the community in which he or she was raised), etc. than it does attire/fashion sense.

This is my idea of sophistication, too, along with a broad knowledge base. But I think a sophisticated lady also dresses tastefully, is well groomed, and has a good sense of proper etiquette . I like to think I fit the bill here. Unfortunately, I tend to be shy or maybe just reticent so people are surprised when they learn how much I do know and where I've lived and traveled.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,788,820 times
[quote=Townandcountrygal;25192744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To me, sophistication has to do more with intelligence, exposure to a wide range of experiences (i.e., not a person who has never been outside the community in which he or she was raised), etc. than it does attire/fashion sense.
I agree with this. I'm more of a casual-type of dresser and I really don't dress up in fancy attire much, but my cerebral and emotional well-being are top-notch, and I pride myself on that. I consider myself to have a good sense of sophistication as a result...even though I'd normally choose a midriff shirt and jeans over a fancy evening gown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty