Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times

Advertisements

Ladies, tell me something; how sophisticated are you in general? I personally find sophisticated women very attractive or at least interesting to be around. By sophisticated I mean smart, open minded, fashion minded and outgoing, as well as having a good understanding about today's society, new gadgets and events. However by sophisticated I don't mean vain, high maintenance or difficult to deal with. I would like to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ladies, tell me something; how sophisticated are you in general? I personally find sophisticated women very attractive or at least interesting to be around. By sophisticated I mean smart, open minded, fashion minded and outgoing, as well as having a good understanding about today's society, new gadgets and events. However by sophisticated I don't mean vain, high maintenance or difficult to deal with. I would like to hear from you.
I'm fairly sophisticated. I try to keep current on new things and I try to carry myself as someone who looks like a smart person but not a know-it-all. With fashion, I usually try to project myself in a manner that would make me look stylish and not outdated.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I'm fairly sophisticated. I try to keep current on new things and I try to carry myself as someone who looks like a smart person but not a know-it-all. With fashion, I usually try to project myself in a manner that would make me look stylish and not outdated.
Sounds good.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
The only thing sophisticated about me is my husband.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
To me, sophistication has to do more with intelligence, exposure to a wide range of experiences (i.e., not a person who has never been outside the community in which he or she was raised), etc. than it does attire/fashion sense.

I know someone well who is a runwalk fashion-attired shopaholic. She may be the least sophisticated person I've ever known, however. I think by this thread being located on the forum it is, you're mostly going to get responses geared toward fashion, which isn't the best indicator of sophistication, by far. Lipstick on a pig, and all.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To me, sophistication has to do more with intelligence, exposure to a wide range of experiences (i.e., not a person who has never been outside the community in which he or she was raised), etc. than it does attire/fashion sense.

I know someone well who is a runwalk fashion-attired shopaholic. She may be the least sophisticated person I've ever known, however. I think by this thread being located on the forum it is, you're mostly going to get responses geared toward fashion, which isn't the best indicator of sophistication, by far. Lipstick on a pig, and all.
very well written.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,634 times
I'm sexy and sophisticated.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
I'm sexy and sophisticated.
3 showers a day and 3 salon visits a week probably disqualifies you based on his high maintenance requirement.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I can be sophisticated if I need to be. I keep myself abreast of current events, gadgets etc. and I consider myself intelligent.

However, I don't really give a rats patootie about current 'fashion' and when I dress up it's strictly vintage or vintage inspired. Usually, I'm in a tshirt and jeans, though. No makeup, my hair is kept natural most of the time.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I would say that I'm somewhat sophisticated but in a very old fashioned way (for a 28 year old). I've always been sociable / outgoing and far from shy. Additionally, I have had the good fortune to have received a high standard of education, and have been afforded the opportunities to travel extensively over the years. I enjoy the arts, history, and cultural events in general and can't wait to leave the awful military town my husband and I are currently stuck in, in order to embrace the above more.

As far as fashion goes- I always dress up, but I don't think I'm ever "over done". Less is more is true- but you'll never see me "dressing down" unless it's to work out. I always dress nicely (and strictly vintage- 40s and 50s style), even if it's just to go to the grocery store. You'll never see me out in public looking like I just rolled out of bed!

What I'm not up to date on however is gadgetry and to some extent, today's society. My husband and I share a laptop and that's the largest foray we have into the 'modern world'. We don't partake in facebook or twitter or any such social networking nonsense, we don't have ipods or ipads, our books have paper pages that you turn (no kindles or nooks), our cell phones are used for making phone calls- not apps or games or anything more, our music comes from a 1940s radio. We've chosen not to have a TV as we'd never watch it anyhow. Our home is filled with 1950s furniture, and any traces of the modern world are carefully hidden away.

If you put me in 1957 right now, I think I'd definitely pass for "sophisticated". As for 2012, that's a matter of opinion.

I'm content enough with myself and my level of 'sophistication' (although a book currently I'm reading/studying from 1950 with regards to entertaining guests is to an extent, daunting to say the least) and more over, I'm happy in my little obscure retro world. That's the most important thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty