Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,860 times

Advertisements

Tattoos and piercings get more and more ubiquitous every year? In the mid to late 90's, even early 00's, it seemed like they were just a fad associated with alternative rock. Even then, it was more rebellious/'rough' kind of people who got them, not necessarily criminals of course but people with a hard edge. Nowadays though, you see every flavor of people, old ladies, sweet teenage girls, soccer moms, nerdy guys, etc with tattoos. In fact where I live it seems unusual for a young person between the ages of 18 and 35 not to have at least a little bit of ink, and a straight up Kat Von D ink suit isn't at all a strange sight.

Piercings as well have become more common. Having a nose ring, as late as like 2001 or so, put a person into the 'alterna' category. Nowadays, nose studs seem about as common as ear piercings, and belly button and even nipple piercings are pretty mainstream now.

Do you think the entirety of society has become more 'rough' and 'tribal' and that tattoos and piercings might be here to stay for generations or even centuries in the present frequencies? I know they've been around forever, but never in Western society have they been as common as they are now and have been the past 10-20 years. Until this generation, they have always been common only among certain indigenous people and certain subcultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Just FYI, there's already a tattoo/piercing thread going on.

Regardless, the reason you think tattoos are more popular isn't necessarily because they are, but rather because you notice the people with tattoos and they stick in your mind.

If you saw a group of 6 people walking down the street and one had a full sleeve, which one would you remember? Probably not the 'normal' one who blended in.

Regardless, I grew up around tattooed people and it doesn't seem abnormal at all. Just another way people express themselves. I actually prefer to be friends with people who are tattooed because they see more open and friendly than those who don't have any.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Just FYI, there's already a tattoo/piercing thread going on.

Regardless, the reason you think tattoos are more popular isn't necessarily because they are, but rather because you notice the people with tattoos and they stick in your mind.

If you saw a group of 6 people walking down the street and one had a full sleeve, which one would you remember? Probably not the 'normal' one who blended in.

Regardless, I grew up around tattooed people and it doesn't seem abnormal at all. Just another way people express themselves. I actually prefer to be friends with people who are tattooed because they see more open and friendly than those who don't have any.
You wouldn't say a lesser percentage of people in say, 1985 had tattoos compared to 2012?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
You wouldn't say a lesser percentage of people in say, 1985 had tattoos compared to 2012?
More than likely, yes. But is it because it's simply more socially acceptable? Back in '85 it would probably be much harder to find a job and people who wanted tattoos wouldn't get them. Tattoo parlors were also a bit 'scarier', and now they're more like Doctor's offices with more art hanging on the walls, and the people running them are usually very personable and AMAZING artists.

Society has changed and allowed more people to have the opportunity of being tattooed.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
More than likely, yes. But is it because it's simply more socially acceptable? Back in '85 it would probably be much harder to find a job and people who wanted tattoos wouldn't get them. Tattoo parlors were also a bit 'scarier', and now they're more like Doctor's offices with more art hanging on the walls, and the people running them are usually very personable and AMAZING artists.

Society has changed and allowed more people to have the opportunity of being tattooed.
Perhaps, but I think a lot of it is a change in taste too. I think tattoos simply weren't as appealing to the minds of 1980s people, it's more of a thing 90's and 21st century people dig. Just like people today don't dig mullets or polyester.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
I'm old enough to remember when the only people who had tattoos were bikers and sailors.

I think they look terrible unless you're going to go the whole hog, eg, an entire sleeve or a body panel down one side or across your entire back. You can't just go for little dinky butterflies or chinese symbols and call yourself tattooed anymore. That's just for the fashionistas who will regret it. Real tattoo art is beautiful.

Just random ones like my niece has (think Amy Winehouse) just make me cringe, plus she will regret it for the rest of her life. She started collecting the horrors at 18, no one could tell her.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM

64 posts, read 67,021 times
It's hard to believe how our nation has fallen. Never in history has a society of people let teenagers and a majority of adults tattoo their bodies up and down like some biker. Never EVER has it been done in such great propensity in western society as it has now. It it shocking. All of this used to be illegal. Tattooers used to prohibit ALL people from getting any tattoos from the neck up, any lewd tattoos, and other tats that weren't thought out. Now they have succumbed to the almighty dollar and tattoo anyone and anything somebody pays for. There are teenagers walking around with tattoos all over their damn bodies. Ending their ignorant ass lives before it even began. Tattooers nationwide should be ashamed of themselves. I blame them along with absent fathers, laidback "new generation" parents, celebrities/rappers, and marijuana.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
It's hard to believe how our nation has fallen. Never in history has a society of people let teenagers and a majority of adults tattoo their bodies up and down like some biker. Never EVER has it been done in such great propensity in western society as it has now. It it shocking. All of this used to be illegal. Tattooers used to prohibit ALL people from getting any tattoos from the neck up, any lewd tattoos, and other tats that weren't thought out. Now they have succumbed to the almighty dollar and tattoo anyone and anything somebody pays for. There are teenagers walking around with tattoos all over their damn bodies. Ending their ignorant ass lives before it even began. Tattooers nationwide should be ashamed of themselves. I blame them along with absent fathers, laidback "new generation" parents, celebrities/rappers, and marijuana.
Because things were so much better in the old days?

Dude. Honestly. That's just revisionist thinking.

I agree that some behaviors are iffy, but kids are kids. Live and learn.

So what if they wind up having to get that lasered off later? It's gonna hurt, but it works.

Should car dealers be embarrassed because they are selling someone a car that the bank says they can afford, but they probably ought to be buying something more economical?

Nope.

Same goes with everything else. Including tattoos. Personal responsibility.

Tattoo artists that run legal shops only tattoo persons of legal age and with signed consent forms. What more do we do but let them do what they want?

I know that many discourage crazy tattoo ideas or ask people to think about it before committing to something drastic (like tattoos on the face). It's not so corrupt as you're imagining for the majority of tattoo artists out there.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
Please don't blame marijuana. Your society (I assume you are American, probably from the South) is built of freedom of expression. That's all tattoos are.

There are so many other influences in the world...movie stars for one, that Angelina Jolie has made it seem "cool" for young women to get scribbles all over themselves, now we have Miley, that Megan Fox person (who I believe is trying to remove them, already) Lady Gaga and now there's a heap of easily influenced fashion victims who want to join the club...just like when Elvis did the hips. It's JUST FASHION not some evil plot to ruin the world.

Tattoos ARE NOT the sort of thing stoners go for because they mean pain, and generally speaking stoners are peace loving types who think it's nuts to pay some arse good smoking money to drive a needle into your flesh.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,220 times
As a society we've come a long way with accepting people as they are regardless of their race, color, creed, sexual orientation and tattoos, as it should be, in my opinion. With stereotypes falling by the wayside, it makes it possible for those that have always wanted a tattoo but held back because of society stigmas to do so. Personally, they are not for me but to each his or her own. From a fashion standpoint, I think most tats these days are more visually appealing than in the past including most sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty