Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I recently became aware that it is actually males who have the longer eyelashes on average...btw is this common knowledge? Am I just out of the loop? How many people knew that, if I may ask?

So I'm curious as it how and why eyelashes started being seen as 'feminine.' I'm thinking of cartoon characters, how female characters are portrayed as having eyelashes/long-eyelashes.

I've heard it draws attention to the eyes: the big eyes are supposed to make women are 'childlike' or something.

But isn't it interesting that longer eyelashes are biologically a masculine trait and have become a feminine one? It's kind of like the idea that women have longer legs proportionately/they are more emphasized when they actually have shorter legs/shorter torsos as a proportion than men. Sort of interesting how culture affects your perceptions of the human body, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
my ex wife would tell me that she'd kill to have lashes like mine. Idve given them to her if i could because they fall out into my eye and i have a heck of a time trying to get them out. As far as lashes on a girl i have only ever noticed a girl's long lashes one time.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM

184 posts, read 702,691 times
i've yet to meet a man with longer eyelashes than me. thicker, maybe. but not longer.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ataraxia View Post
i've yet to meet a man with longer eyelashes than me. thicker, maybe. but not longer.
Do you wear mascara?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Women everywhere seem to want long, thick eyelashes. And I can understand why. They do make one's eyes stand out.

And yeah, I would assume guys have longer eyelashes on average. Mine are so long that they touch the glass of my glasses when I'm wearing them.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I find that men have better eyelashes by far. So sad. My cousin has the best lashes. I'd love to have them.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 PM

184 posts, read 702,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you wear mascara?
only at gigs, because i have to.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I recently became aware that it is actually males who have the longer eyelashes on average...btw is this common knowledge? Am I just out of the loop? How many people knew that, if I may ask?

So I'm curious as it how and why eyelashes started being seen as 'feminine.' I'm thinking of cartoon characters, how female characters are portrayed as having eyelashes/long-eyelashes.

I've heard it draws attention to the eyes: the big eyes are supposed to make women are 'childlike' or something.

But isn't it interesting that longer eyelashes are biologically a masculine trait and have become a feminine one? It's kind of like the idea that women have longer legs proportionately/they are more emphasized when they actually have shorter legs/shorter torsos as a proportion than men. Sort of interesting how culture affects your perceptions of the human body, don't you think?

Maybe just more signs that men are in love with themselves? LOL

The better your health, the better your hair is going to be including the lashes.

Large eyes are associated with an estrogen dominant system. (fertility thing)

What I noticed is that a lot of women have thin lashes from mascara use, health issues or natural aging.
(another fertility thing)

Compared to my brother my lashes are longer and more dense. But his are darker and the hairs are thicker like beard hairs.

The s.o.'s family has thicker hair overall and his is naturally darker than anyone in my family. His lashes are super long/thick. But he doesn't have those outside corner lashes like most women do. Neither does my brother. The max length is dead center instead. I think THAT is weird. It makes me want to check out everyone's eyelashes but that would be a little creepy. LOL! Girly lashes show in cartoons are emulating that max length on the outside corner.

Another friend who is a natural blonde (male) has very sparse lashes.

I think its just a hair type thing along with how you treat your lashes.
My mother had practically no lashes. I told her to stop using mascara and only use olive oil to remove eye makeup. In a couple months they came back. She doesn't even have to wear mascara now.
I think she was drying them out or had an allergy to the makeup or makeup remover she was using.
Men never use those chemicals on their face so they never have to recover from allergies or breakage.

bolded - huh? Do you mean women have shorter legs compared to a man's leg generally or in proportion to their (womens') own body type?

Last edited by Opsimathia; 07-16-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM

^ I mean as a proportion of total body length. Female clothing emphasizes having long legs in contrast to male, so one might get the impression it's the opposite. I actually never thought about one gender having naturally longer legs until I read about that. They were talking about gender differences in body proportions, and according to several studies it seems men having longer legs as a ratio of height, while women have longer arms, interestingly.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM

180 posts, read 475,119 times
Not to get all scientific but, when you look at early humans and stuff, men were the hunters, worked on the farm, etc. So having long, thick eyelashes was a way to help keep the dust out of the eyes and filter the suns rays. Men needed longer thicker eyelashes more than a woman did. It's the same way why men mostly carry their fat around their stomach or have thicker bigger eyebrows. It has to do with the role of men were back in the early days.

IMO the only reason why it's a feminin I guess is because of what makeup can do to it. However, there are an absurdly amount of men with thick long curly eyelashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty