U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Curvy is an body shape, not a size. You can be thin and curvy, and not thin and curvy. It is mostly related to how your weight is distributed (or bone structure, in terms of hip width).

Mulher Melancia is definitely curvy (obvious differentiation between her waist and hips). She happens to have very lucky fat distribution and doesn't store it in her waist. Some people will say she should lose weight, other people would say she is perfect. None of this takes away from the fact she has a near hourglass figure (she looks a little bigger at the bottom to me).
I wonder your opinion (because I'm undecided) on determining shape based on how your body looks as is vs. where you gain weight. Because I've seen women who are one shape when they're a low weight and another as they gain. I think this is especially true for an hourglass or ruler to gain and end up looking like a pear.

I've heard some say your "true" shape is determined by where you gain and others say there's no such thing as "true" shape, just whatever shape you happen to be right now. Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well fat isn't meant to be an offensive word. It's just like 'black' it's a descriptive term. The fact is our society is so AFRAID of fat that it's become a dirty word. Watch a black and white movie from the 1930s. There were fat girls who were laughing about being fat, because it was just a word they used. 'I'm fat, I need to lose weight.' So what? Now you have friggin' twig annorexic girls saying 'I'm fat' as if it's the worse thing in the world. Being fat is not ideal but people act like someone who is fat has leprosy. Jeepers.
That would make sense, if black people were actually black. However, blacks aren't actually black. They're some variation or another of brown or beige.

You can be fat and curvy, and not all curvy people have hourglass figures. Anyone with pronounced curves - is curvy. Men with tapered waists, broad shoulders, and built-up thighs - are curvy, by definition. Women with narrow upper torso and uber-wide hips - are curvy. Women with big breasts, but slender lower torsos and thin legs - are curvy. Many fat women are curvy - however, the larger you are, the less defined those curves are, and therefore, the more likely you no longer fit into the category of "curvy" (which, as I said, means pronounce curves. Not subtle curves that are filled with fat).

BTW: I'm curvy. I am also overweight, but no one could ever mistake me for a man from the back, sides, or head-on. The curves that mark me as "feminine" are very distinct and clear. My figure -resembles- an hourglass shape. But it isn't "truly" hourglass, because an hourglass shape has an actual measurement standard. However, if you had to put me in as an apple, pear, stick, or hourglass - I fit very solidly into hourglass.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I wonder your opinion (because I'm undecided) on determining shape based on how your body looks as is vs. where you gain weight. Because I've seen women who are one shape when they're a low weight and another as they gain. I think this is especially true for an hourglass or ruler to gain and end up looking like a pear.

I've heard some say your "true" shape is determined by where you gain and others say there's no such thing as "true" shape, just whatever shape you happen to be right now. Thoughts?
That is a really good one! I am of the opinion that shape is what you are now. Mostly because my general philosophy is to accept the body you have now, not the one you covet or the one you are working toward. Since you may never get there, when you get their it might not be what you expect, and life doesn't start when you feel like you look "perfect."

For example, my brain thinks of Beyonce as a "pear" because when she first started, and was heavier, she definitely looked more pear. Or even right after having the baby:
Moderator cut: image removed

Now that she is smaller, she looks more hourglass. From this years comeback concert in Atlantic City.
Moderator cut: image removed

I definitely think some people's shapes change during different life phases.

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 03:33 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Someone said Oprah wasn't curvy.
Wrong, Oprah has a hourglass figure.

Curvy to me,in addition to Kim K and beyonce,and Jlo,
Are :
Jennifer Love Hewitt.(why does everyone forget about her?
Tara lynn
Fluvia Lucerda

One who isn't curvy is Christina Hendricks. Have you seen her without the corset? No noticable whr.
Adele isn't either,sorry.
Serena isn't either for the front

Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,082,399 times
Regarding the term used to describe Beyonce's figure, the only term I use is FIIIIIIIINE. Jay-Z is one lucky SOB. If I could bang any chick in the universe, it would be her. Hourglass, pear, orange, apple, whatever -- every chick should strive to look like her.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
One who isn't curvy is Christina Hendricks. Have you seen her without the corset? No noticable whr.
Adele isn't either,sorry.
Serena isn't either for the front
CH is definitely less curvy than I expected. I think I'd just call her busty. Serena I think is still "curvy" in my book since she looks super curvy from the side. And of course, she is also busty.
And then for some people busty = curvy.

I don't think I have ever seen shot of Adele besides her face, or her sitting down so I have absolutely no idea what her shape is.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Beyonce doesn't have large,or even medium sized breasts. Is that what's considered busty?
Neither is Jlo. They have average sized breast. When I think of busty,I think of Christina Hendricks,Pamela Anderson,and of course Dolly. I guess my idea of busty is different.

Someone posted a pic of MM backside. I didn't know she was that flat! Gosh.
I guess nowadays she wouldn't be considered curvy.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Beyonce doesn't have large,or even medium sized breasts. Is that what's considered busty?
Neither is Jlo. They have average sized breast. When I think of busty,I think of Christina Hendricks,Pamela Anderson,and of course Dolly. I guess my idea of busty is different.
She isn't busty, but for me, hourglass shapes are fairly balanced look-wise top to bottom. You don't need to be busty to be an hourglass, just similar widths at top and bottom.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Its hard to tell because some people's definition is curvy is others fat.

Case in point: Mulher Melancia aka Watermelon Woman

Andressa Soares - Mulher Melancia - Eliana - SBT - Rebolando - YouTube

YouTube - Mulher Melancia - Velocidade 6 (HD_16-9).flv - YouTube
Her legs are huge to me. She is curvy though.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That is a really good one! I am of the opinion that shape is what you are now. Mostly because my general philosophy is to accept the body you have now, not the one you covet or the one you are working toward. Since you may never get there, when you get their it might not be what you expect, and life doesn't start when you feel like you look "perfect."

For example, my brain thinks of Beyonce as a "pear" because when she first started, and was heavier, she definitely looked more pear. Or even right after having the baby:

Now that she is smaller, she looks more hourglass. From this years comeback concert in Atlantic City.

I definitely think some people's shapes change during different life phases.
Thanks for posting this. I've noticed that when I gain weight I tend to become very "pear" like. For instance after I had my son, I looked a lot like Beyonce does in the first picture. But as I've lost the baby weight, I am starting to get more hour-glassy. I notice that when I am bigger than a size 6 I'm more pear-like, but when I'm under a size 6 I resemble an hour glass. It's interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty