U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I wonder your opinion (because I'm undecided) on determining shape based on how your body looks as is vs. where you gain weight. Because I've seen women who are one shape when they're a low weight and another as they gain. I think this is especially true for an hourglass or ruler to gain and end up looking like a pear.

I've heard some say your "true" shape is determined by where you gain and others say there's no such thing as "true" shape, just whatever shape you happen to be right now. Thoughts?
I don't know. My shape doesn't really change through weight gain and loss. I'm always bottom-heavy with a small waist, at any weight I've been. Any excess weight I carry goes to my hips/butt/thighs, though, never to my waist. At my heaviest, I gained a little up top, but that was more upper arms...my bust never significantly changes with weight gain or loss. Mostly, I just gain weight on the bottom, but am pretty much a pear, no matter what size/weight I am. Even at my most slim, my pelvic span is always gonna be wider than my shoulders...that's just my build, independent of where fat gets stored - wide pelvis with or without fat padding to make it look even wider, and slightly less broad shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,646,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Her legs are huge to me. She is curvy though.
That's way too muscly for my taste.
This looks much better and is a 10/10 for me.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I wonder your opinion (because I'm undecided) on determining shape based on how your body looks as is vs. where you gain weight. Because I've seen women who are one shape when they're a low weight and another as they gain. I think this is especially true for an hourglass or ruler to gain and end up looking like a pear.

I've heard some say your "true" shape is determined by where you gain and others say there's no such thing as "true" shape, just whatever shape you happen to be right now. Thoughts?
I was always hourglass with 10" difference between my breast & waist and then waist & hips, despite where I was on the scale: 155 or 195.

I don't recall men (or women for that matter) referring to me as curvy. I think my height and breast size always overshadowed everything else so I was usually described as statuesque and/or voluptuous.

Then after my 3rd child I dropped a bit of weight and now I'm more banana. I lost weight in my chest for the first time in my adult life and lost what little meat I had on my hips. Now people call me skinny, even strangers make comments, which surprises me because I don't consider myself all that skinny. I think my "bonier" upper body (due to loss of muscle mass) throws people because from my waist down I'm not skinny at all.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
I have a slightly warped sense of body image and female body ideals, that I am going to blame my mom for.

According to my mom, your body was "fine" as long as you have a 10 inch gap between your waist and hips. (more is fine, less is "bad") I didn't grow up thinking that was curvy or anything. That was just "normal" for all women. Didn't even consider that some people wouldn't have a shape like this at all. Until I was much older. My mom is notorious for commenting on people's shapes and clothing choices (not in a malicious way). Stuff like "omg, she has no butt. Wow, her legs are really skinny. Her butt is just too big. His legs are too skinny." or my favorite, when someone is swaying their hips as they walk "look at her profiling." I probably notice people's shapes and proportions a lot more because of her.

I never considered myself curvy. Like many people, I developed early. Started wearing a bra at age 10. Went from training bra to B cup almost overnight. By the time I was 12, my breast were bigger than my mom's (and that also sealed it, that I wasn't going to take after her body type at all: slim pear).

So basically, until I was in college, I just thought I was disproportionate. I had a big butt and big thighs. I looked like a pear. I was also pretty busty, but was wearing the completely wrong sized bra, so waist definition wasn't apparent at all. Since I needed to fit my chest, my shirts were boxy at the waist. So basically, I thought my shape sucked. I couldn't find pants, they were too tight in the thigh. I didn't look like my classmates who were all straight and skinny. I was just a weirdo.

I never even considered myself curvy until shopping with a friend (with an inverted triangle shape aka the reverse pear) was like "that looks way better on you since you have curvier hips. I have no hips." Then I started realizing I was probably "curvy." Still wearing the wrong sized bra, but at least I started to catch on that defining my waist was a good thing.

Then at some point, "Curvy" became a bad thing. And a euphemism for being overweight. So I basically met the normal definition, and the new definition. I find, thus far, for me, that I went from a pear shape for up until recent years (when I started exercising more, and using weights) to something closer to a more balanced shape. My hips are generally wider tan my shoulders, but since I am busty, I can look more in balance. Most of the time, I have had a 10 inch gap from waist to hips. At my heaviest it dropped to 9 inches. Right now it is 12 as I am losing. But from bust to waist, it has been all over the map. At my heaviest, it was about 6-7. Now it is 9-10. My waist doesn't tend to widen (on the sides) with weight gain, so in terms of proportion, I don't look much different. Even when the ratios change significantly. So I still tend to view my shape as a pear.

But that could be shifting as I change sizes. I guess we'll see what happens when I get to my goal! Still on Team Curvy for now.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM

11,019 posts, read 18,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Its hard to tell because some people's definition is curvy is others fat.

Case in point: Mulher Melancia aka Watermelon Woman

Andressa Soares - Mulher Melancia - Eliana - SBT - Rebolando - YouTube

YouTube - Mulher Melancia - Velocidade 6 (HD_16-9).flv - YouTube

oh lord.....come to ME BABY.....bring it on. (insert emoticon with tongue hanging out)

Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have a slightly warped sense of body image and female body ideals, that I am going to blame my mom for.

According to my mom, your body was "fine" as long as you have a 10 inch gap between your waist and hips. (more is fine, less is "bad") I didn't grow up thinking that was curvy or anything. That was just "normal" for all women. Didn't even consider that some people wouldn't have a shape like this at all. Until I was much older. My mom is notorious for commenting on people's shapes and clothing choices (not in a malicious way). Stuff like "omg, she has no butt. Wow, her legs are really skinny. Her butt is just too big. His legs are too skinny." or my favorite, when someone is swaying their hips as they walk "look at her profiling." I probably notice people's shapes and proportions a lot more because of her.

I never considered myself curvy. Like many people, I developed early. Started wearing a bra at age 10. Went from training bra to B cup almost overnight. By the time I was 12, my breast were bigger than my mom's (and that also sealed it, that I wasn't going to take after her body type at all: slim pear).

So basically, until I was in college, I just thought I was disproportionate. I had a big butt and big thighs. I looked like a pear. I was also pretty busty, but was wearing the completely wrong sized bra, so waist definition wasn't apparent at all. Since I needed to fit my chest, my shirts were boxy at the waist. So basically, I thought my shape sucked. I couldn't find pants, they were too tight in the thigh. I didn't look like my classmates who were all straight and skinny. I was just a weirdo.

I never even considered myself curvy until shopping with a friend (with an inverted triangle shape aka the reverse pear) was like "that looks way better on you since you have curvier hips. I have no hips." Then I started realizing I was probably "curvy." Still wearing the wrong sized bra, but at least I started to catch on that defining my waist was a good thing.

Then at some point, "Curvy" became a bad thing. And a euphemism for being overweight. So I basically met the normal definition, and the new definition. I find, thus far, for me, that I went from a pear shape for up until recent years (when I started exercising more, and using weights) to something closer to a more balanced shape. My hips are generally wider tan my shoulders, but since I am busty, I can look more in balance. Most of the time, I have had a 10 inch gap from waist to hips. At my heaviest it dropped to 9 inches. Right now it is 12 as I am losing. But from bust to waist, it has been all over the map. At my heaviest, it was about 6-7. Now it is 9-10. My waist doesn't tend to widen (on the sides) with weight gain, so in terms of proportion, I don't look much different. Even when the ratios change significantly. So I still tend to view my shape as a pear.

But that could be shifting as I change sizes. I guess we'll see what happens when I get to my goal! Still on Team Curvy for now.
You measure the gap? I don't at all, maybe I'll try doing that though to see what my WHR is.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
You measure the gap? I don't at all, maybe I'll try doing that though to see what my WHR is.
Yup I do. Then calculate my WHR (and BWR -- bust waist) just because it is interesting.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
oh lord.....come to ME BABY.....bring it on. (insert emoticon with tongue hanging out)
The two on the sides look really nice to me. It's the one in the middle in black is too muscly for me. The far right brunette is smokin' for me.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM

472 posts, read 395,036 times
Team Chunk all day err day!

Curvy is subjective and why do you care? Are you going to be dating these women? No? Then keep it moving

Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
Team Chunk all day err day!

Curvy is subjective and why do you care? Are you going to be dating these women? No? Then keep it moving
That's the type of women I date. Like right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty