U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,722,424 times

Advertisements

A lot of women think they're "curvy" when they're flat out fat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 AM

5,485 posts, read 6,076,523 times
Yeah, somehow the terms of curvy and morbidly obese get mixed up at times. Im not into overweight women, even though some guys are, so if i see curvy in a description, i move right along.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,298,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yeah, somehow the terms of curvy and morbidly obese get mixed up at times. Im not into overweight women, even though some guys are, so if i see curvy in a description, i move right along.
Why not just look at her pictures instead of passing her by. Maybe she really DOES know what curvy means?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM

51,302 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yep, lots of blatant lying. I actually got in an argument with a guy I met online because he said he was 6'3. I met up with him and I was at least 4" taller than he was. He then proceeded to tell me I was a liar and that it was rude of me to lie about being shorter than I was because I was OBVIOUSLY 6'5 or taller.

It wouldn't have bothered me one bit that he was shorter than I was.
Men do that, though. They lie about their height, which is really bizarre. It's not as if it's something that can't easily be disproven.

I've noticed that for decades. Men (doesn't have to be a dating situation) will ask me how tall I am, and when I tell them I'm six feet and one half inch, they often reply with, "You have to be taller than that, because I'm 6'2"!" Meanwhile, the top of the guy's head is at my eye level.

Like JJ, I don't CARE if you're not over six feet, but I do care if you're a liar. Especially when it's not even a good lie because it's so obvious that it's a lie, lol.

Or...do men convince themselves that they are taller than they really are and come to believe it?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 AM

51,302 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah and in the past it was once socially acceptable to call black people by a word that started with the letter "N." Our society is better off for rendering that (and other racial slurs) socially unacceptable. Why is it so unreasonable to find a polite and dignified way to describe overweight people? Why is it so important to call them "fat?" Why is it so important to be hurtful and disrespectful to someone because of a physical characteristic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well fat isn't meant to be an offensive word. It's just like 'black' it's a descriptive term. The fact is our society is so AFRAID of fat that it's become a dirty word. Watch a black and white movie from the 1930s. There were fat girls who were laughing about being fat, because it was just a word they used. 'I'm fat, I need to lose weight.' So what? Now you have friggin' twig annorexic girls saying 'I'm fat' as if it's the worse thing in the world. Being fat is not ideal but people act like someone who is fat has leprosy. Jeepers.
I had a writing workshop teacher who used the word 'fat' deliberately. She had to be around 300 pounds. (She also had two male spouses and they all lived together in what they call a 'committed triad'.)

She wrote about being fat and eschewed the euphemisms.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Why not just look at her pictures instead of passing her by. Maybe she really DOES know what curvy means?
dont really do online dating, but if I were to talk to a woman on the phone or something or someone was describing a friend as curvy, i would just take a pass. There are so many women in this world, i dont feel i have to take a chance on someone who thinks theyre curvy. Maybe my loss, maybe not - who cares?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,213,757 times
I think part of the problem is this BMI crap...

I'm 6'3" and 205-210lb and according to those bloody awful BMI calculators i'm overweight. So are many NFL players, so was Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell, so is Prince Harry, so is Dwayne Johnson, so is Adele, so is Kate Winslet... So how are people to judge what there size is and how to describe it? If they think that the figures they read are the size they should be then 15lbs over the "ideal" is overweight and 30lbs over the "ideal" is obese and that's rubbish.

I know some people lie on dating sites and possibly to themselves but maybe a little bit of realism with what they base there judgements might be a help.

Have a look and see what i mean.

File:Body mass index chart.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

source: BBC - Health: BMI
Quote:
Although BMI gives us some idea of the health risk associated with being a certain weight for your height, it's just an approximate means of assessing body fat and risk to health. It doesn't allow for weight from muscle - for example if you're an athlete or very muscular you will have a high BMI even if you have a healthy level of body fat. It's also not accurate for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, the very young or very old, the extremes of the normal range of shape, nor does it allow for medical conditions which affect height or shape.
Quote:
The emerging research suggesting that BMI is no longer the best predictor of future health problems doesn't mean you should ignore your BMI. It still has some value as a rough screening tool.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 AM

11,023 posts, read 18,113,212 times
It doesn't matter if she has no body fat tummy or is plus size with a lot of shake and bounce, as long as she has a hour glass and huge boobs she is curvy.

ok?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,171,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think a lot of it is because of public ridicule. Since you're a man I'm not quite sure you'll understand the female psyche on this topic... like it's been mentioned in a lot of threads a woman is primarily judged on her appearance first and foremost. Fat is unattractive to many, and to be ridiculed for being fat is to basically be called less of a person. Most fat people KNOW they're fat, they don't need it pushed in their face constantly, they aren't stupid. Oddly, if a woman says she's alright with her body (and let's face it, it's a rarity) even though she's overweight all of a sudden everyone needs to come out of the woodwork and tell her she's fat because she OBVIOUSLY couldn't be happy with how she looks!

Let people describe themselves however they want. I don't flip out about obese guys listing themselves as 'athletic', so let fat women describe themselves as curvy.
I don't care either what women describe themselves as, I'm just stating the fact that over time, the word 'fat' has become so offensive. No, we shouldn't just tell fat women they're 'beautiful' and condone an unhealthy lifestyle, but I don't see how this obsess fear of fat is really helping. The word is just a symptom of it. If anything it sends them spiralling in the opposite direction towards being too thin. In other words, let them describe themselves as curvy, but I think people who want to call a spade a spade should just do so. If people have a problem with it they ought to grow a thicker skin. What next, being afraid to call short people short and using the term 'vertically challenged' as anything but a joke?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I think part of the problem is this BMI crap...

I'm 6'3" and 205-210lb and according to those bloody awful BMI calculators i'm overweight. So are many NFL players, so was Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell, so is Prince Harry, so is Dwayne Johnson, so is Adele, so is Kate Winslet... So how are people to judge what there size is and how to describe it? If they think that the figures they read are the size they should be then 15lbs over the "ideal" is overweight and 30lbs over the "ideal" is obese and that's rubbish.

I know some people lie on dating sites and possibly to themselves but maybe a little bit of realism with what they base there judgements might be a help.

Have a look and see what i mean.

File:Body mass index chart.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

source: BBC - Health: BMI
BMI is bullcrap and no one should follow that. I am slightly overweight, according to BMI charts but my body fat % is 9%. It doesnt take so many variables into consideration (muscle mass, bone density etc) that its really inaccurate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty