U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,308,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
This, exactly. I actually look better now than I did 5 years ago and most people are surprised when I tell them how old I am. Yet, I still get the "you'd make such a great partner, but I'm just not physically attracted to you" and men barking and laughing at me all the time. It's pretty painful when someone tells you that and then goes on to describe his ideal woman as someone who sounds exactly like you. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was asking a friend if he thought I'd like living in the city he's from and his response was he didn't think so because "It's full of rich, beautiful, competitive people and you're none of those things." Which is funny because he knows I'm highly competitive. Women, on the other hand, are always telling me they think I'm really pretty.

It only takes one though-my late husband thought I was the most beautiful person on the planet, both inside and out.
Is it your pic in the profile?? What exactly do you consider unattractive about yourself?
I see a pretty woman with a great smile, lovely hair, and sparkling eyes, honestly I don't see how men would go the lengths of laughing! at someone who looks like that. Then again, I don't see 'men' doing that period Immature, mentally pre-pubescent idiots, sure, but that's not the type of person you'd want to get attention from anyways.

I'm constantly surprised at the self-esteem issues that some objectively good-looking women have. It'd be interesting to see pictures of all the women who posted here saying they're ugly - I would bet most of them are actually really pretty, and possibly just don't realize their full potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM

72,904 posts, read 64,373,343 times
[quote=JetJockey;25449561To be honest, I'm petrified of being pregnant because I've heard so many men describe how 'disgusting' their wives/girlfriends were and wonder openly when they were gonna get their bodies back. How about stretch marks? Saggy boobs? Wider hips? I'm hoping to one day find a man who doesn't care, but it seems less and less likely to happen [/QUOTE] J, you should be petrified of being pregnant, but not for those reasons. I opted out of pregnancy, and I found out it was a good thing I did, because the thyroid disease I've had all my life would have utterly wreaked havoc with the 9-month hormonal explosion. I would caution women with thyroid disease against getting pregnant.

And I wouldn't trust what any doctor says, but that's just me. Doctors too often tell people their thyroid is fine when it is far from fine. Anyone who suspects they have thyroid issues but has been told their thyroid levels are normal should seek out a doctor who is not part of the insurance system. Insurance requires doctors to tell potential thyroid patients they're fine, unless their test results are off the charts. Insurance does everything it can to avoid paying for the deeper, more expensive thyroid tests. Mayo Clinic has developed a diagnostic protocol that satisfies insurance's requirement to keep the more expensive thyroid testing to a bare minimum, so don't trust your doc if he says he trained at Mayo. Find someone who practices independently of the insurance system
[This has been a public service announcement.]

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,230,193 times
If women tell you(I'm a woman) your pretty and attractive,but men don't, does that mean I'm still attractive?
Or am I just attractive,but not attractive to the opposite sex?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,434,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Is it your pic in the profile?? What exactly do you consider unattractive about yourself?
I see a pretty woman with a great smile, lovely hair, and sparkling eyes, honestly I don't see how men would go the lengths of laughing! at someone who looks like that. Then again, I don't see 'men' doing that period Immature, mentally pre-pubescent idiots, sure, but that's not the type of person you'd want to get attention from anyways.

I'm constantly surprised at the self-esteem issues that some objectively good-looking women have. It'd be interesting to see pictures of all the women who posted here saying they're ugly - I would bet most of them are actually really pretty, and possibly just don't realize their full potential.
Thank you. Yes, that is me in the pic. I don't think I'm bad looking, but when you are told you are your entire life, at some point you do start to wonder what others are seeing that you aren't!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM

8,738 posts, read 9,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You get ignored more, which is actually kind of nice. You can slip in and out of parties (weddings, especially) without anyone noticing

You don't have to worry as much about what you look like because no matter what you do, nobody will notice. It saves a lot of money and time on makeup, hair and clothes.

You can focus on work/school without being bothered or 'hit on'

Actually, being ugly isn't all that bad, except for the whole relationship stuff.

those things are 'pros' for someone like me, not her. she wants to get dates with men more her type or whatever.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,728,690 times
For what relationships? Well of course its tougher but as ive said time and time again

Even physically ugly people date, have successful relationships, marry, have children just like the "attractive" people in our society. If you listened to people on here you'd believe the only people in relationships were Hot and everyone else is left out in the cold

Old 10-27-2012, 04:04 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,821,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
those things are 'pros' for someone like me, not her. she wants to get dates with men more her type or whatever.
I'd love to get dates with more men, but for me it doesn't seem like it's in the cards. No worries though, I have other things to focus on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
For what relationships? Well of course its tougher but as ive said time and time again

Even physically ugly people date, have successful relationships, marry, have children just like the "attractive" people in our society. If you listened to people on here you'd believe the only people in relationships were Hot and everyone else is left out in the cold
Agreed, but they usually 'settle' for whoever will pay attention to them. Are they happy? Are they in a relationship that they really enjoy? Will they leave their partner immediately if a better prospect comes along?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM

245 posts, read 417,842 times
You people don't act like plastic surgery isn't an option...

Sure it's expensive, but slowly save up cash for the dream face you want.

I'm getting a nose job, but I have to go through the obstacles of jaw surgery before I can even discuss rhinoplasty with my surgeon.

My nose is the only thing holding me back from being aesthetic. I think I'm beautiful, but my nose looks badly photo shopped on. Sooner or later I will finally get the face I deserve and be happy, and it will no longer be my every waking thought.
My nose has caused me great social trauma. It ruins every angle of my face, and flaws me. But I see pure potential when I look in the mirror. I'm still young (18) so I'm still at my peak.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM

10,343 posts, read 7,609,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I don't know how it effects women in day to day life, but I do see the double standard for men & women.

Consider people's reactions to celebrities. There are many, many ugly male actors & people often don't blink an eye at it or find it comment worthy. These same actors will be praised for their talents & sometimes even be considered attractive because they are successful, talented, charming, etc. Yet, it will be noted constantly when an actress is not pretty, as if people are offended by the fact that they are successful but not beautiful. People especially become venomous when one of these actresses plays a character considered desirable, even though many physically unattractive male actors will do so with no question about it.

An example of this is the strong reaction to Sarah Jessica Parker because her face is not pretty. You can't see her mentioned without hearing her looks torn apart also. Yet, she's a successful actress, has built her own wealth, is generally well-groomed, seems like she has a nice personality, etc. Similar things could be said of Maggie Gyllenhaal or Kirsten Dunst, two other actresses bagged on for their looks a lot. A man with their credentials would be admired & even considered attractive.... but a woman's value always seems to boil down to her appearance, which is judged by extremely high, narrow & nearly impossible standards.
What in the world are you talking about ? --- Sarah Jessica Parker, Maggie Gyllenhaal are both good-looking and Kirsten Dunst (who I just watched in a movie yesterday) is downright gorgeous.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 PM

10,343 posts, read 7,609,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
You people don't act like plastic surgery isn't an option...

Sure it's expensive, but slowly save up cash for the dream face you want.

I'm getting a nose job, but I have to go through the obstacles of jaw surgery before I can even discuss rhinoplasty with my surgeon.

My nose is the only thing holding me back from being aesthetic. I think I'm beautiful, but my nose looks badly photo shopped on. Sooner or later I will finally get the face I deserve and be happy, and it will no longer be my every waking thought.
My nose has caused me great social trauma. It ruins every angle of my face, and flaws me. But I see pure potential when I look in the mirror. I'm still young (18) so I'm still at my peak.
Good for you. For all of those who say you can't afford Botox or plastic surgery, how much do you pay for cable TV every month? How much do you pay for junk food?

Just drop your cable TV, stop eating junk food and put that money into an account. In just a few months, you'll have enough for Botox.

Instead of watching TV, use some of that time to get outside and exercise. You will lose weight and look better.

If you have bad skin, an ugly nose, a weak chin, wrinkles, or other bad features --- we're lucky. We live in a day and age in which most of those things can be improved. If you want people to accept you for what you are --- great! that's your choice.

But if you think you are ugly, tackle some of the things that are leading you to conclude that.

And most people are not UGLY, just like most people are not gorgeous---most people are average in looks. I have a feeling that many people on here are calling themselves ugly when they are average looking. And if you truly are ugly, nature did not do well by you, start saving up for plastic surgery if that is what you choose to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or