Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How many men are obese? How many men don't take care of themselves?

Maybe so many women wouldn't opt out if the standards weren't too high,or unattainable.

So,what exactly should women look like?
What do you mean by "take care of themselves?"
Many already go to the salon to get their hair done,buy nice clothes,etc. When I'm walking outside,I see women with their hair done and nice clothes on.
Then I look at their fat,sloppy,big bellied husbands walking right beside them. I see that combo 90% of the time when I'm out.

I personally think the standards are too high for women.
Why should standards of beauty revolve around what men like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,817,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why should standards of beauty revolve around what men like?
Because it's human nature. Women want to look pretty for their own self esteem and to attract men (or please their man). No amount of political correctness will change this.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,930,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It's worse if you are man.

Few women on earth are truly "ugly".
I do not agree with that.

I think women are judged more on their appearance than men. Woman are more tolerant of unattractive men than vice versa.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 AM

239 posts, read 520,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
As one of these ugly women, life is VERY difficult.

Not only do men pass me over, but I get treated VERY differently at work. And not for the better.
When I worked at a corporation, there was a very nice, hard working, intelligent, but unattractive woman who was passed over for promotions. It really bothered me because it was really obvious that there was a prejudice based on appearance. I had the look management liked and was promoted, however I didn't work the late hours this other woman worked and although I worked hard and produced results, I would say that the other woman deserved the promotion more than I did.

I worked in marketing communications and when I worked for another group in the same corporation, I was actually told that one of the reasons I was hired was that I looked "marcomy" (short for marketing communications). Typically, the people working in marcom were attractive women who dressed nicely.

So, I've witnessed the unfair treatment of the less attractive women. It's not an imagined slight.

On the other hand, there are downsides to being attractive. I'm now sixty years old and still get unwanted attention from men. I do nothing to invite this attention. I don't dress provocatively, or flirt. In fact, I avoid men as much as possible. I'm married and my husband is the only man who I want attention from. Gossip gets back to me about how men talk about me and it's really disturbing. For instance, two men were talking about who had the best boobs in our senior community and were overheard saying they thought that I did. Mind you I never wear low-cut tops, or anything that would invite comments like that. I thought that at my age this kind of thing wouldn't happen anymore. I'm so sick of it. I feel like hiding. I avoid going out unless I'm with my husband. Anyway, there is a downside whether you are pretty, or not. I think that probably the best thing is to be really average, so you blend in.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Because it's human nature. Women want to look pretty for their own self esteem.
Let me fix this for you.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:50 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,930,223 times
"There are no ugly women. Only lazy ones." -- Helena Rubinstein

Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,305,992 times
I have been told many many times that I am very good looking...don't shoot the messanger!

Ugliness problem. I've known many ugly guys to do pretty good in the ladies department. All had a great personalities(out going types). I actually learned alot about women from them. In my opinion, this is not even close to a death sentence, more a like an obstacle that can be easily overcome.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
When I worked at a corporation, there was a very nice, hard working, intelligent, but unattractive woman who was passed over for promotions. It really bothered me because it was really obvious that there was a prejudice based on appearance. I had the look management liked and was promoted, however I didn't work the late hours this other woman worked and although I worked hard and produced results, I would say that the other woman deserved the promotion more than I did.

I worked in marketing communications and when I worked for another group in the same corporation, I was actually told that one of the reasons I was hired was that I looked "marcomy" (short for marketing communications). Typically, the people working in marcom were attractive women who dressed nicely.

So, I've witnessed the unfair treatment of the less attractive women. It's not an imagined slight.

On the other hand, there are downsides to being attractive. I'm now sixty years old and still get unwanted attention from men. I do nothing to invite this attention. I don't dress provocatively, or flirt. In fact, I avoid men as much as possible. I'm married and my husband is the only man who I want attention from. Gossip gets back to me about how men talk about me and it's really disturbing. For instance, two men were talking about who had the best boobs in our senior community and were overheard saying they thought that I did. Mind you I never wear low-cut tops, or anything that would invite comments like that. I thought that at my age this kind of thing wouldn't happen anymore. I'm so sick of it. I feel like hiding. I avoid going out unless I'm with my husband. Anyway, there is a downside whether you are pretty, or not. I think that probably the best thing is to be really average, so you blend in.
You should be flattered that you are still getting male attention at 60 years old.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I do not agree with that.

I think women are judged more on their appearance than men. Woman are more tolerant of unattractive men than vice versa.
Men are more visual, it's how our brains are wired. If women select for criteria other than (or in addition to) looks it's probably a survival mechanism passed on through genetics.In particular for raising children, if women only selected a man based on looks there would be virtually no two parent families raising children.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Let me fix this for you.
There will always be women who want to look good to attract men or to give herself a competitive advantage in attracting a quality man over plainer looking women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty