U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 AM

39 posts, read 301,710 times

Advertisements

There is an interesting thread on this board about women who are obsessed with their weight and their appearance. In the responses people talk about how women are always being judged by their physical looks vs. their personality or brains.

With that in mind I wonder what it like to just be plain ugly if you are a women. I have some relatives who have fine personalities, common sense and intellectual talents, but physically they are just plain ugly. They range from women with HUGE moles all over their faces, to others with really odd shaped heads, to the hugely overweight, to skin damage. I wonder sometimes what it like to be them. I would think people would look away and not want to look at them or be with them. Kids must have been cruel to them when they were growing up. Now it must be very hard to get a job or keep a job looking the way they do.

I don't look so good myself so I know the discrimination people face based on their appearance. But with these women the abuse must be just terrible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,365,925 times
It's worse if you are man.

Few women on earth are truly "ugly".

Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
I have seen in many people's lives that being extremely attractive is also a burden. Being unnoticed can be a real blessing.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,277,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post

wow do I disagree. I see tons of women who are physically butt ugly. They might be beautiful on the inside so they are not overall ugly people, just on the outside.

To the OP, that's the way life has always been and always will be, It's not fair, but it's the human condition. Listen to the 70s song from Janis Ian-"At 17"..there is a lot of truth in it.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
wow do I disagree. I see tons of women who are physically butt ugly. They might be beautiful on the inside so they are not overall ugly people, just on the outside.

To the OP, that's the way life has always been and always will be, It's not fair, but it's the human condition. Listen to the 70s song from Janis Ian-"At 17"..there is a lot of truth in it.
wow, you brought back a memory! I saw her live. Good times!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,581,184 times
Quote:

how many years have you been an unattractive woman?

none.

edit: And not for nothing, you don't have to be 'truly ugly' as a woman to get men to ignore you, just be mildly attractive to begin with. Same effect.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
I'm not conventionally attractive and I have a lot of things that I feel put me in the 'unattractive' category. I've been called ugly on multiple occasions by both men and women and I know for a fact that I was denied a promotion because of my looks.

It's not pleasant being passed up for promotions or being looked over regardless of your talents, intelligence or drive. It's really bad seeing attractive people being praised for doing absolutely nothing but being lucky enough to be born with good genes.

But, you deal with the hand you were dealt.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM

1,401 posts, read 2,000,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm not conventionally attractive and I have a lot of things that I feel put me in the 'unattractive' category. I've been called ugly on multiple occasions by both men and women and I know for a fact that I was denied a promotion because of my looks.

It's not pleasant being passed up for promotions or being looked over regardless of your talents, intelligence or drive. It's really bad seeing attractive people being praised for doing absolutely nothing but being lucky enough to be born with good genes.

But, you deal with the hand you were dealt.
I see tons of that with my sister. Any criticism melts away after she makes an appearance, because "she came in and looked perfect."

A man can be fat, bald, and missing a limb, but with a modicum of intelligence and a gregarious nature (ie can schmooze clients and land deals), he can be an investment banker earning $$$,$$$. Good luck finding a woman of similar appearances rising high in such an without some overwhelming talent.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Well if she spent more time working on being charming and talented instead of crying over not being pretty enough maybe she would have that success too. Low self esteem is also a factor in these situations. People can smell it a mile away and its not something that will raise you up or make others feel warm towards you. Women expecting to be given something because of how they look is ridiculous. If someone wants to hire a talentless person for the position, the position can't be that great or important. Talentless people don't stay at the top.

So you have to have perfect talent or a perfect butt? So what. Get on it.

You can always do one or the other.
Both take effort.

At least the brain polish doesn't go forty-seven ways to useless after a certain age...well...maybe after retirement.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:

Now that isn't really true. Life is bad for an ugly man, sure, but I have seen some truly ugly women who must have it pretty bad as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or