U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM

509 posts, read 1,575,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Raising Both Hands

I have no idea!!! I work in the cosmetic industry and get a lot of gratis items.
Same here. I have a lot too, but not everything is at my vanity table. Because the gratis expires annually, I have a bin full of product as well. Great for gifts and just having 'refills' to my existing products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You should check out youtube videos for collection storage ideas. A lot of artists have those and just add to the storage with other clear pieces as the collection grows. Even if you just can fit your season's colors in your first buy its totally worth it. NYX also makes professional makeup cases for travel if you wanted to pack away your summer colors or nailpolish etc.

NYX Cosmetics - Bags and Cases

You can go with higher end cases than that of course but you will pay for it.

Another option is to depot and condense into large artist pallets. Some have premade holes like MAC's and some are just empty magnetic trays so you can fit in odd shapes etc.

You can also depot your lipsticks into a master pallet and make it look pretty with a hair dryer on low to melt it into the pan.
Yeah, I've been on YouTube and different blogs. I'm interested in Acrylic because I want to be able to see the colors - kind of browse if you will, when I feel like mixing things up. There's a Muji store not too far from my husband's showroom, so I may send him there for some items. I have a bunch of interchangeable palettes from MUFE, but they're almost too big for travel/overnight or evening events, which is why I prefer to keep most of my items in original packaging or small palettes.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Bought a bunch of stuff from Sephora (Nars, MUFE, Koh Gen Do)...it's just a matter of time before I pull the trigger on the acrylic organizer. I'm trying to hold off until after hosting my sister's baby shower which is just sucking th money right out of my wallet!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM

36 posts, read 41,716 times
Where does all these money come from? Thousands in makeup, shoes, bags, clothes

I make decent money and I can't afford all that stuff. Are people keeping makeup, shoes and clothes for years?

Makeup is not really a very good investment. It loses value very quickly

Last edited by Periquita; 08-21-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,584,557 times
In my makeup bag I have about $200 worth of makeup. Under the sink I have a 3 drawer thing from Ikea full of makeup, and one of those plastic caboodles suitcase thing full as well. Then 2 vanity drawers full of lotions, potions, and creams. Well over $1000, probably closer to 2k.

In short, wayyyy too much. I have a habit of buying something, using it a few times, and never using it again. I really need to toss some of the stuff. Lots of stray eye shadows and lip glosses.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,584,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post

I make decent money and I can't afford all that stuff. Are people keeping makeup, shoes and clothes for years?

Speaking for myself, yeah a lot of my stuff I've had for years. Things like eyeshadows and blush dont seem to go bad.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

6,056 posts, read 7,958,521 times
I usually go to Target for my makeup and I don't stock pile it because some of it will go bad faster than I could use it. I'm incredibly cheap about stuff like that normally BUT I did go to the Mac store and buy an eye liner and an eye shadow and I'm really impressed at the quality.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM

706 posts, read 912,297 times
Easily 2 grand or a little more. I'm a huge makeup junky and a prissy girly girl in general. Everything from MAC, Nars, Chanel, Illamasqua, Dior....you name it is in my arsenal! I love playing with makeup!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,818,825 times
I don't have a lot of makeup. My collection consists of 1 loose powder, 1 compact, 1 eyeliner, 2 sets of eyeshadow, 2 blushes, and 4 or 5 lipsticks. So, altogether less than $125. If you add nail polishes, maybe $150.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post

I don't consider makeup (or shoes and bags) an investment in the literal sense, but an investment in my appearance and/or comfort (shoes).

[off topic: I keep shoes and bags for years because I see no reason to dispose of them them unless they're no longer wearable/useable or I no longer like it. ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty