U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
 
3,256 posts, read 4,232,376 times
Reputation: 667

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't purchased or attempted drugstore foundation since you can't test it,

I was told at either Walgreen's or CVS that if you don't like the makeup you can return it for a refund. Sorry I can't remember which...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
 
1,406 posts, read 2,323,699 times
Reputation: 1413
I think it has to do with the lighting you're seeing these people in, the kind of makeup they're buying, and the technique of applying it properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,101,540 times
Reputation: 6767
It's all about application and facial structure.

People will literally walk straight past me in the street if I don't have my face on, or if I do and they haven't seen it before. I look COMPLETELY different.

I think you have to have reasonably good bone structure for this, also skill in applying makeup...but the structure of the face is what is really important IMO.

By the way the person who said "cost" shows in makeup....WRONG! Quality shows...which has little to do with actual cost. I buy eyeshadows which are literally one quarter of the cost of MAC but have all of the quality and range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,256,071 times
Reputation: 7491
You have to have good bone structure for makeup?
Never heard that one before.

I find for me,I like to make things look dramatic. Try fake eyelashes
But I don't use blush,or eyeshadow.
I just dap concealer and foundation on my dark circles,and the fake lashes,and I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,138,254 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Most men are stupid and go for the superficial woman...With the great make up...the suggestive clothes...If you take a natural beauty and a made up one ...wash both of their faces the real beauty will shine... I know woman that get compliments on their make up...oddly when they are wearing none!

Your natural hair color is the best for you....nothing more fraudulent than some chick who is Italian and is a fake blonde...Look at Madonna for instance...she is not a good looking blonde woman- If she let her natural color grow in she would look like a nasty spirited dark haired old Italian lady- and she knows it - so she creates the illusion of being angelic by going for the lighter shade....she can't fool me- I know she is just an old Italian lady that should be dressed in drab widow black.. I like NATURAL beauties... real beautiful woman- If you can not cut it without makeup - stay in the house and find an ugly guy.
Plenty of natural blondes in the Northern regions of Italy. Not all Italians look Sicilian.

No woman in her 50's looks good with bleach-blond hair (very few in general look good bleached out IMO)

Many, many women who "look natural" are actually wearing makeup to achieve that "no makeup look". They often wear a full face, too.

Last edited by annika08; 07-18-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,138,254 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
It's all about application and facial structure.

People will literally walk straight past me in the street if I don't have my face on, or if I do and they haven't seen it before. I look COMPLETELY different.

I think you have to have reasonably good bone structure for this, also skill in applying makeup...but the structure of the face is what is really important IMO.

By the way the person who said "cost" shows in makeup....WRONG! Quality shows...which has little to do with actual cost. I buy eyeshadows which are literally one quarter of the cost of MAC but have all of the quality and range.
Would you care to share which brands? I'm yet to find something that "costs cheap" that isn't very powdery or short-lasting (over primer). I have also used more than one MAC shadow I found disappointing (usually in their LE). Clinique makes some decent products but their blushes are subpar for the price. Some of the Milani blushes aren't bad, good pigmentation, but can also be quite glittery. ELF makeup is garbage but they have incredibly cheap brushes which are actually fairly good.

A good bone structure is helpful, yes, but it's about enhancing the structure you yourself have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,101,540 times
Reputation: 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You have to have good bone structure for makeup?
Never heard that one before.

I find for me,I like to make things look dramatic. Try fake eyelashes
But I don't use blush,or eyeshadow.
I just dap concealer and foundation on my dark circles,and the fake lashes,and I'm done.
That's not what I said.

I said it helps, but you certainly don't NEED it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,101,540 times
Reputation: 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Would you care to share which brands? I'm yet to find something that "costs cheap" that isn't very powdery or short-lasting (over primer). I have also used more than one MAC shadow I found disappointing (usually in their LE). Clinique makes some decent products but their blushes are subpar for the price. Some of the Milani blushes aren't bad, good pigmentation, but can also be quite glittery. ELF makeup is garbage but they have incredibly cheap brushes which are actually fairly good.

A good bone structure is helpful, yes, but it's about enhancing the structure you yourself have.
Sure.

I buy all my makeup online as it's hell expensive in Australia.

I go to feelunique.com

For foundation I use Elizabeth Arden powder foundation (I'm lazy).

For blush and eyeshadow - Lily Lolo....the BEST. I absolutely rave about this brand. It's very cheap and the quality is amazing.

I wear false eyelashes when I'm going out but not as a day time thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,138,254 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Sure.

I buy all my makeup online as it's hell expensive in Australia.

I go to feelunique.com

For foundation I use Elizabeth Arden powder foundation (I'm lazy).

For blush and eyeshadow - Lily Lolo....the BEST. I absolutely rave about this brand. It's very cheap and the quality is amazing.

I wear false eyelashes when I'm going out but not as a day time thing.
Thanks for sharing. EA is a nice brand (not considered cheap here in the states, like ELF or CG). I've never heard of Lily Lolo, will have to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2012, 02:46 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,336,263 times
Reputation: 11862
I think the lighting makes more difference between those two pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top