U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,516,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I had an interesting experience with my sister at the makeup counter over the weekend. I went to find some concealer. I have dark circles, and sometimes they bother me. On the flip side, I have never actually finished a bottle of foundation. I use foundation for special occasions or when I am having a crappy skin week. So usually the bottle lasts 2 years and I have finished 33% of it.

Anyway, the makeup artist was playing around to find a shade, and she did some highlighting for me. My sister was shocked and amazed. She was said "wow I had no idea makeup could do that. I should try some!" Keep in mind my sister is afraid of using eye liner and mascara. Her makeup is lip gloss.

Anyway she ended up testing some foundation, and some highlighting techniques. And then posted up her picture on facebook. With in seconds there were a zillion comments complimenting her on her polished look. She was sold and bought foundation and blush.
Haha! Love it. I am a triplet (2 girls and a boy) and my sis used to swear against makeup bc she didnt believe it could possibly NOT feel gross on your face. Well her butt sat down at a MAC counter one day and the rest was history. She is beautiful without it but boy oh boy she shines like a star with it on! Neither one of us ever wear too much of it though. Love that lil stinker sister of mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Haha! Love it. I am a triplet (2 girls and a boy) and my sis used to swear against makeup bc she didnt believe it could possibly NOT feel gross on your face. Well her butt sat down at a MAC counter one day and the rest was history. She is beautiful without it but boy oh boy she shines like a star with it on! Neither one of us ever wear too much of it though. Love that lil stinker sister of mine!
We come from a pretty anti-makeup family. My mom and both grandmothers were the type with the same tube of lipstick for 20 years........

I had one aunt that wore makeup. But my mom always warned us, she plucked and plucked. By the time she was ni her 50s, she had no eyebrows and how to pencil them in.

Now I am so paranoid about my eyebrows. I get them threaded or waxed once in a while. But they were looking a little thin not long ago, so I halted all eyebrow stuff for 18 months for them to grow back in (mine are thin, and I am hypothyroid which can also cause your eyebrows to thin...as one of the many completely useless symptoms). I still don't have many. It almost feels like a rip off to get my eyebrows done, they only get rid of a few hairs. :P

Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
We come from a pretty anti-makeup family. My mom and both grandmothers were the type with the same tube of lipstick for 20 years........

I had one aunt that wore makeup. But my mom always warned us, she plucked and plucked. By the time she was ni her 50s, she had no eyebrows and how to pencil them in.

Now I am so paranoid about my eyebrows. I get them threaded or waxed once in a while. But they were looking a little thin not long ago, so I halted all eyebrow stuff for 18 months for them to grow back in (mine are thin, and I am hypothyroid which can also cause your eyebrows to thin...as one of the many completely useless symptoms). I still don't have many. It almost feels like a rip off to get my eyebrows done, they only get rid of a few hairs. :P
Haha! Do we have the same family. You pretty much described my family when it comes to makeup.

Ooh I def get my brows threaded every 2 weeks! I love it. Part of the reason I wear makeup is bc I no lie look like I am 17 when I do t wear makeup! I look like a kid and I hate it! Although I do appreciate that this will come in handy as I age. But right now I wanna look like a woman because I am! Lol.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 PM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Haha! Do we have the same family. You pretty much described my family when it comes to makeup.

Ooh I def get my brows threaded every 2 weeks! I love it. Part of the reason I wear makeup is bc I no lie look like I am 17 when I do t wear makeup! I look like a kid and I hate it! Although I do appreciate that this will come in handy as I age. But right now I wanna look like a woman because I am! Lol.
We are the same person! I am always mistaken for a college kid. By other college kids. I saw some teenage cousins a few weeks ago and they were complaining to their parents. "our cousins sure don't look like 30-somethings"

Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:

Mine is the exact opposite! My Mom, Grandmother and aunt all have had permanent makeup done (it looks fantastic, very well done) and they simply don't leave the house without a full face of makeup. My Mom constantly complains about how 'plain' I look because I rarely wear makeup (I only put it on if I'm going to an event that requires me looking nice) and wishes that I spent more energy on my appearance.

I did have my eyebrows tattooed on because I burned one off when I hit my head on a hot exhaust pipe working on a car, but other than that I don't really do much with my face.

I used to be afraid of leaving the house without a full face of makeup, even just to run down to the store to grab milk. I had some bad experiences with men and women's comments when I didn't wear makeup so I went years being afraid to not wear it. One day, I realized that was ridiculous and there you are

Old 08-11-2012, 02:48 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,632,492 times
Read through these threads and thought about what a neighbor said once. "A little power and a little paint makes the old gal look like what she ain't".

Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,512,055 times
Learning how to apply makeup takes practice also having the right products helps aswell. Beautybyjj, thomasaadrianna, Shirleybeniang and gossmakeupartist gives great tutorials on youtube watch and see what they do and products used then you just have to practice.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 PM

85 posts, read 115,918 times
Depends on how much they wear and what type of cosmetics they use. Some people might use moisturizer, primer, cream foundation, powder, and some other topper to give their skin a smooth, sleek glow. Others might just use loose powder. Going tanning makes a difference. Wearing a little more eyeliner makes a difference. Etc.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
We are the same person! I am always mistaken for a college kid. By other college kids. I saw some teenage cousins a few weeks ago and they were complaining to their parents. "our cousins sure don't look like 30-somethings"
Haha! Yes we are it seems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty