Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

If I look unrecognizable without makeup on, I'm doing something very, very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Would you be so kind to share these products?
I'll ask her. I know from previous conversations that one, off the top of my head, is L'Oreal's H.I.P eyeshadow duos...the stuff that's got a lot of pigment.

I think one really challenging thing with cosmetics and keeping it looking right, tone-wise, is that companies are CONSTANTLY changing the formulation of their products, which is super irritating. I can't say how many times I've tried gazillions of products and found the lipstick that's the perfect, skin-tone flattering shade of slightly brownish red, or eyeshadow that's got exactly the right amount of light-reflecting particles without looking glittery or frosted, or a sheer blush that is actually sheer, and not fingerpaint-like, and dries/sinks in well instead of sitting on the skin...only to get it again and have the formulation be totally different. Don't even get me started on mascara. Everytime I find one I like, I stock up, knowing that it might well suck in six months. It's hard to look your best when you find products that work, and then the next time you go to get them, they've been "improved."

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think this is a kinda de facto argument. I think for us women who are darker, we have to focus extra on keeping our skin clear/even/etc because there aren't coverup options for us.

Generally, I don't wear much makeup, and stay pretty natural. But I have dark spots, under-eye circles, etc that I want to cover up.

Right now, about 80% of my beauty regimen is focused on maintaining even tone, eliminating dark spots and keeping my skin looking bright and luminous.

I use a bit of bronzer (also difficult to find, my skin tone is pretty much like a warmer version of former VS model Oluchi Onweagba's). Right now I am using the cover girl queen collection bronzer/powder. And occasionally blush. And then concealer or foundation to cover up what needs some help for special occasions or when I look really dull or tired.

I probably could get by with concealer and bronzer. Every time I buy foundation (again for some special occasion) it goes to waste. I use 25-33% of the package, and then it is been 3 years and it is time to get rid of it!

Since it is that time again for me to replace my foundation and concealer, I was thinking I could just get a BB cream to cover all of my face makeup needs, and found they don't come in my shade.
Its the same for really light skin. (Victorian porcelain)
Being on either end of the color spectrum really limits your choices. Light people go orange and dark people go ashy.

I looked up that model and then I remembered the darker foundations at coastal scents today.
PLUS they have samples there for under 2 bucks in the dark tone:
Coastal Scents: Liquid HD Foundation

And the concealer quad is pretty dark too:
Coastal Scents: Camo Quad Dark

I have used the lighter colors in the concealer and foundation. They both have a really nice texture.
The sample dark foundation pack is nice for special occasion stuff too as you are not wasting a whole bottle.

Watching youtube vids the other day and ELF has a new mineral bronzer that looks pretty dark.
There are reviews on youtube with darker skin toned gurus swatching on their skin. It looks pretty neutral brown and matte-ish but not enough to leave you ashy/masklike.
Makeup and Cosmetics | Shop Eyes Lips Face

(los cabos- looks a lot darker in person than on the elf site)

Have you ever tried to help blend in dark circles by using a peachy or warm red blush blended up into the eyesocket area? That can work well to help cancel the outside socket dark circle area. I think it works great as almost a color correcter on really pale skin. I never tried it on really dark skin but the principle of color is the same. Cream blushes work best for this. You could try it with elf's cream blush seductress or the "red" blush from NYX. If not you still have a nice red blush that looks great on dark skin. It may even out your cheek area too if that gets blotchy on you.

I always do my concealer first(no powder to set) and then pat blend (fingertips) the blush out so I don't disturb it, set with powder.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its the same for really light skin. (Victorian porcelain)
Being on either end of the color spectrum really limits your choices. Light people go orange and dark people go ashy.

I looked up that model and then I remembered the darker foundations at coastal scents today.
PLUS they have samples there for under 2 bucks in the dark tone:
Coastal Scents: Liquid HD Foundation

And the concealer quad is pretty dark too:
Coastal Scents: Camo Quad Dark

I have used the lighter colors in the concealer and foundation. They both have a really nice texture.
The sample dark foundation pack is nice for special occasion stuff too as you are not wasting a whole bottle.

Watching youtube vids the other day and ELF has a new mineral bronzer that looks pretty dark.
There are reviews on youtube with darker skin toned gurus swatching on their skin. It looks pretty neutral brown and matte-ish but not enough to leave you ashy/masklike.
Makeup and Cosmetics | Shop Eyes Lips Face

(los cabos- looks a lot darker in person than on the elf site)

Have you ever tried to help blend in dark circles by using a peachy or warm red blush blended up into the eyesocket area? That can work well to help cancel the outside socket dark circle area. I think it works great as almost a color correcter on really pale skin. I never tried it on really dark skin but the principle of color is the same. Cream blushes work best for this. You could try it with elf's cream blush seductress or the "red" blush from NYX. If not you still have a nice red blush that looks great on dark skin. It may even out your cheek area too if that gets blotchy on you.

I always do my concealer first(no powder to set) and then pat blend (fingertips) the blush out so I don't disturb it, set with powder.
Thanks. These are really good tips.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Another recommendation for other "ethnic" ladies. I plan on trying this soon:
BlackUp Cosmetics. It is a a high-end french brand, but they sell online to the US. Tons of colors. Good reviews...but I haven't made the plunge yet. It is probably time.
black|Up Cosmetics, Luxury Make Up & Skincare for Ethnic Skin Tones and Women of Color | black|Up cosmetics

Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
I like Iman's makeup, however you have to be very very careful when applying it because its full coverage

Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I like Iman's makeup, however you have to be very very careful when applying it because its full coverage
Thanks for the tip! I am always looking for lighter coverage, so it sounds like I should tread carefully.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I am always looking for lighter coverage, so it sounds like I should tread carefully.
you're welcome

I have a whole collection of makeup. I've tried alot of drugstore brands and a few department store ones as well

Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If I look unrecognizable without makeup on, I'm doing something very, very wrong.
I would post pics but I'm very private.

I'm fair skinned with green eyes and dark hair. I have very fair eyelashes and eyebrows.

If I have a full face of makeup my eyes are completely different, so is my colouring.

If I don't have eye makeup on my eyes look like two p iss holes in the snow. If I DO have makeup on, they look amazing...even if I do say so myself.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
sometimes with full coverage makeup, you can blend it with your moisturizer and then apply for a lighter coverage. Some blend well and some won't, but give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty