Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Go get a free make-over at a makeup counter. That will help you learn a bit too.

Ethnic skin can be a pain in finding the right colors depending on where you live. The right colors make a HUGE difference along with skill.

I don't think you always need to go high end with everything. You can find gems. Especially now. The on product though that I never have been able to go cheap on was lipstick. I bought my first MAC lipstick at 18 and never looked back.
Their foundations etc may not be dark enough or too yellow for you. Too light foundation on dark skin makes one look ill.

You can get books and teach yourself. In those youtube vids there are some out there on beauty books.
I find that many foundations for darker skin are actually too red for me. I have golden/yellow undertones, and finding a match is tricky. Also, there isn't much selection at all. I am the darkest color at MAC, and there are plenty of people that are darker than I am. Where do they find foundation? I am near the top at Clinique (2nd to last dark shade), and I have never seen other department store options. I haven't tried out Iman, it is only in a some of the nearby Targets. I haven't purchased or attempted drugstore foundation since you can't test it, and that's why I haven't tried Iman. I have only seen Fashion Fair in a store once, I was shocked. I thought it only existed in Atlanta or something. But it was in a department store 40 miles away.

I miss Perscriptives.

Also, careful if you go to the makeup counter. I find it is generally a miss for the makeup artists. The minute I walk up I think there is a little light bulb that goes off that says "woohoo, it is a black woman, I can use all of thew crazy colors on her! Turquoise lipstick! Orange eye shadow!" Especially at the Mac counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 AM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
Application,blending and knowing the right colors to use. As per the photos, lighting, photoshop, airbrush, are other elements that are used. Not all of them at the same time. But, lighting is the key to a great photo

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A friend is a union makeup artist in the entertainment industry (she’s done quite a few HBO movies and miniseries that have gotten Emmy awards for makeup), and she’s the first to note that there are actually numerous drug store brand products that are, in fact, used by the pros. It’s hit and miss, but there are definitely inexpensive, easily procured cosmetics that are staples in makeup pros’ bags. They use higher end stuff, too, of course, but the pros don’t necessarily eschew some basics just on the basis of them being common drugstore brands.

Would you be so kind to share these products?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Most men are stupid and go for the superficial woman...With the great make up...the suggestive clothes...If you take a natural beauty and a made up one ...wash both of their faces the real beauty will shine... I know woman that get compliments on their make up...oddly when they are wearing none!

Your natural hair color is the best for you....nothing more fraudulent than some chick who is Italian and is a fake blonde...Look at Madonna for instance...she is not a good looking blonde woman- If she let her natural color grow in she would look like a nasty spirited dark haired old Italian lady- and she knows it - so she creates the illusion of being angelic by going for the lighter shade....she can't fool me- I know she is just an old Italian lady that should be dressed in drab widow black.. I like NATURAL beauties... real beautiful woman- If you can not cut it without makeup - stay in the house and find an ugly guy.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I find that many foundations for darker skin are actually too red for me. I have golden/yellow undertones, and finding a match is tricky. Also, there isn't much selection at all. I am the darkest color at MAC, and there are plenty of people that are darker than I am. Where do they find foundation? I am near the top at Clinique (2nd to last dark shade), and I have never seen other department store options. I haven't tried out Iman, it is only in a some of the nearby Targets. I haven't purchased or attempted drugstore foundation since you can't test it, and that's why I haven't tried Iman. I have only seen Fashion Fair in a store once, I was shocked. I thought it only existed in Atlanta or something. But it was in a department store 40 miles away.

I miss Perscriptives.

Also, careful if you go to the makeup counter. I find it is generally a miss for the makeup artists. The minute I walk up I think there is a little light bulb that goes off that says "woohoo, it is a black woman, I can use all of thew crazy colors on her! Turquoise lipstick! Orange eye shadow!" Especially at the Mac counter.
Honestly I got the best matches for really dark and really light skin by custom mixing with a base that was close. For darker skins that I have worked on, I don't find that really dark skin (grace jones) needs foundation really. I think that color depth looks best with aloe water spritz to keep it fresh and even colored with hydration through the day. A couple shades lighter than that and i have mixed in neutral dark brown eyeshadow into a brown base or used a really dark matte bronzer as a setting powder to warm it up. Try playing with bronzers. It may help you deal with matching your yellow undertones easier too. If you got a yellow toned one it may turn the red issue into a peachy glow that is flattering. Neutral may also work. I used eyeshadow because its a ton on concentrated pigment and I can use that color to fill in the browns and naturally line the eyes. Bronzer compacts are easier, but more expensive.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Honestly I got the best matches for really dark and really light skin by custom mixing with a base that was close. For darker skins that I have worked on, I don't find that really dark skin (grace jones) needs foundation really. I think that color depth looks best with aloe water spritz to keep it fresh and even colored with hydration through the day.
I think this is a kinda de facto argument. I think for us women who are darker, we have to focus extra on keeping our skin clear/even/etc because there aren't coverup options for us.

Generally, I don't wear much makeup, and stay pretty natural. But I have dark spots, under-eye circles, etc that I want to cover up.

Right now, about 80% of my beauty regimen is focused on maintaining even tone, eliminating dark spots and keeping my skin looking bright and luminous.

Quote:
Try playing with bronzers. It may help you deal with matching your yellow undertones easier too. If you got a yellow toned one it may turn the red issue into a peachy glow that is flattering. Neutral may also work. I used eyeshadow because its a ton on concentrated pigment and I can use that color to fill in the browns and naturally line the eyes. Bronzer compacts are easier, but more expensive.
I use a bit of bronzer (also difficult to find, my skin tone is pretty much like a warmer version of former VS model Oluchi Onweagba's). Right now I am using the cover girl queen collection bronzer/powder. And occasionally blush. And then concealer or foundation to cover up what needs some help for special occasions or when I look really dull or tired.

I probably could get by with concealer and bronzer. Every time I buy foundation (again for some special occasion) it goes to waste. I use 25-33% of the package, and then it is been 3 years and it is time to get rid of it!

Since it is that time again for me to replace my foundation and concealer, I was thinking I could just get a BB cream to cover all of my face makeup needs, and found they don't come in my shade.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
All women look better with makeup. Some can get away without using it but they re few and far between. Too much makeup is better than no makeup.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:43 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Oh interesting...well I want to learn this skill

Learning about how to wear make up properly is a journey. Go to a MAC store and be ready to spend anywhere from $60-$100 plus. Find a make-up artist that doesn't have "creative" clown make-up on and ask them to do your face.

I have asked for in the past a "day-time smokey look"...this creates sexy eyes but still an over all appropriate look for any situation you may be in.

Make-up artists can be hit or miss. I have usually had good luck at MAC (and also Dior) but last time I went to a Mac booth in Bloomingdales the only make-up artist that was available was a blonde guy who was wearing mascara and some kind of make-up on his lips and he really couldn't recommend me anything...he was like a dear in headlights probably because I'm Hispanic and very tanned from being a beach bum in an area where everyone is a "white American".

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Watch some youtube videos...try MakeupByTiffanyD - YouTube or Pixiwoo - YouTube channels. These women are professional makeup artists with TONS of videos on various makeup applications and looks. It's fun!

This! I found great tutorials on YouTube for contouring and highlighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
thank you

I really would LOVE to go to makeup school and study all the makeup techniques. Sometimes I feel like I chose the wrong major. Maybe some day in the future when I have time

What are you studying? Maybe you should look into a good cosmetology school like Aveda Institute where they teach you EVERYTHING including make-up and spa treatments.

I would have taken this path if I didn't get my full-scholarship at a university because I love doing people hair and make-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Most men are stupid and go for the superficial woman...With the great make up...the suggestive clothes...If you take a natural beauty and a made up one ...wash both of their faces the real beauty will shine... I know woman that get compliments on their make up...oddly when they are wearing none!

Your natural hair color is the best for you....nothing more fraudulent than some chick who is Italian and is a fake blonde...Look at Madonna for instance...she is not a good looking blonde woman- If she let her natural color grow in she would look like a nasty spirited dark haired old Italian lady- and she knows it - so she creates the illusion of being angelic by going for the lighter shade....she can't fool me- I know she is just an old Italian lady that should be dressed in drab widow black.. I like NATURAL beauties... real beautiful woman- If you can not cut it without makeup - stay in the house and find an ugly guy.

Madonna is a 53 year old woman and looks great for her age. She has blue eyes, so why can't she pull off blonde hair. Why would being a dark-haired woman make her look nasty spirited?

Most blondes dye their hair to achieve that look. You seem to have issues with women and people with dark features since I can also recall your posts on the illegal immigration forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
All women look better with makeup. Some can get away without using it but they re few and far between. Too much makeup is better than no makeup.

Another man who knows nothing about cosmetics telling us women we can't pull off not wearing make-up.

Have you ever stepped foot on a college campus or in a gym??

I see plenty of women getting hit on at these places where most women don't wear make-up unless it is part of their culture (Russian).

Where do you live? I want to know where all of the ugly people exist.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
That woman looks better because she's using a professional, not because of any secret tricks or lucky bone structure. Cosmetologists come in various skill levels but the ones who know what they're doing really know what they're doing and know what brush, layer, angle, and product to use, be it high end or drugstore variety. I had a makeup artist once who does all the big names in country music and he said for video shoots he spends at least 45 minutes on foundation. Just foundation! No average woman wants to spend that much time on daily makeup and nor should she, especially since that sort of heavy makeup is meant to look good on film but probably looks like caked on gunk in person.

So don't worry, save professional level makeup jobs for occasions when you'll have a lot of pictures or videos taken, like at a wedding or big birthday or if you feel like crashing a red carpet event.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Honestly, unless you wear make-up or are in the beauty industry, why waste your time bitching about women who are ugly when we are trying to discuss proper make-up application?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty