U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM

26,921 posts, read 28,281,037 times

Advertisements

I think the appropriate comment for this incident is

HATERS!!

So Trinidad just crowned a new Miss. Some people are complaining because she is an unusual choice. Because she isn't from a posh part of Trinidad, and she is *gasp* dark skinned.

Here is some commentary and overview:
The Beauty Myth & An Open Letter to Some Trinbagonians creative commess
And an article on her: http://missosology.info/forum/viewto...p?f=4&t=139043
Check out this oh so polite headline: "UGLY Miss Trinidad & Tobago World 2012 FIRES BACK"

And here is a pic of the offending woman:

She looks like a typical pageant queen to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,175,106 times
I'm not a big fan of drawn eyebrows, but she has amazing eyes and a face that that is extremely versatile. Overall, she's pretty darn gorgeous.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM

12,469 posts, read 14,631,909 times
Maaybe some people just don't think she's all that....too skinny, far as I'm concerned, and it has nothing to do with her color.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,460,787 times
She looks like she could use a mini makeover and a smile, but she's far from ugly. I don't understand some folks' opposition to chocolate skin, I actually think it's a prettier complexion than the lighter caramel color a la Beyonce.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
She looks like she could use a mini makeover and a smile, but she's far from ugly. I don't understand some folks' opposition to chocolate skin, I actually think it's a prettier complexion than the lighter caramel color a la Beyonce.
I guess we'l just have to see how she cleans up for the Miss World pageant.

Apparently she was a dancer/model (and now works as an admin) so she is probably pretty poised.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,441,688 times
She has striking features that I could see not being someone's cup of tea. She has a long, long face. She looks more like a model than a pageant queen.

Skin color notwithstanding.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
She has striking features that I could see not being someone's cup of tea. She has a long, long face. She looks more like a model than a pageant queen.

Skin color notwithstanding.
She is definitely "model-y." I am just a little amazed people are so involved on what the pageant winner looks like. Isn't the goal of picking someone just about picking someone attractive and articulate so they don't say anything too stupid.

In many of her pics, they looked like modeling shots, and we all know what happens to darker women who model. Crazy-town makeup. But add a smile, and glowing white teeth, suddenly she is more pageant-y. (Typical pageant girls tend to have a sort of cutesy look.)

Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM

659 posts, read 772,854 times
She looks beautiful to me, I don't see what the big deal is. Hope she wins everything just to **** people off.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,175,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Crazy-town makeup.
That's pretty much most modeling, but it stands out more against darker complexions because they radiate the colors so much better. Most makeup just plain looks better on darker complexions.

Heck, I took some of the gray bodypaint I use frequently (see profile picture for an idea) and used it on my buddy who is about as dark as this model. It looks a bazillion times better on him and only needed one coat to be perfect. Myself? I use 3 coats minimum to get the right shade.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM

701 posts, read 1,213,132 times
She looks regal. Stunning.

The issue of dark skin in beauty pageants is pretty big for island nations. My grandma still likes to watch those competitions, and whenever I see a dark skinned contestant from the Caribbean (not including Jamaica and Haiti), I do a double-take because it's rare to see them. Rare, but much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty