U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 AM

7,658 posts, read 7,459,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This.

I've never received a tattoo in a parlor that had 'flash' up on the wall. I've been tattooed by two different artists and ALL they did was custom work. I've looked through hundreds of portfolios and thousands of tattoos before deciding on an artist, and even then it was another few weeks of drawing, stenciling, re drawing, more stenciling etc etc. until the needle touched my skin. I have around 9 hours done on my lower arm (and it's just outlined...no color yet) and it took 6 months to draw it up.

There's a big difference between the spring-break-dolphin-on-the-ankle tattoo and a custom, well done, well thought out piece of work. Unfortunately, most people see the former instead of the latter because people who actually take their time on tattoos aren't as keen on showing them off. It's a private matter, and a lot of good work is flat out stolen. Part of my tattoo was featured in a magazine and I immediately had at least 5 knock-offs that I knew of. Never again. I don't participate in magazines, editorials or competitions with my tattoos anymore.

Couldn't rep you again, yet, JJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM

101 posts, read 254,465 times
What you find attractive today may be completely different in 10-20-30 years, but you are stuck with it.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,277,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
What I don't understand is that tattoos used to be reserved for the lower class and dregs of society. Like people who ended up in jail and were murderers and rapist. Now everybody is getting one. How did that happen? What was the attraction? I will never understand..
Because in a culture/civilization on the rise the lower classes try to copy the behavior of the upper classes.
In a civilization on the the decline the middle and upper classes copy the behavior of the dregs of society.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
What you find attractive today may be completely different in 10-20-30 years, but you are stuck with it.
That's one of the great things about fashion in general, it is always changing. Nobody wants to wear the same clothes for the rest of their life. With tattoos it's the same thing day after day after day for the rest of your life. In addition, that same old tattoo(s) will keep looking uglier with age.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Because in a culture/civilization on the rise the lower classes try to copy the behavior of the upper classes.
In a civilization on the the decline the middle and upper classes copy the behavior of the dregs of society.
I'm not a 'dreg of society' simply because of my tattoos. My parents taught me to judge on actions, not on appearance...how about yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
That's one of the great things about fashion in general, it is always changing. Nobody wants to wear the same clothes for the rest of their life. With tattoos it's the same thing day after day after day for the rest of your life. In addition, that same old tattoo(s) will keep looking uglier with age.
I don't give a flying fig about 'fashion'. I received my first tattoo over 10 years ago and still love it, it's also still bright and crisp because I take care of my skin.

Tattoos look uglier with age because the people who get them simply don't take care of them. The process of tattooing along with the ink that is used is continually improving and it's fairly common to see a tattoo that is 10+ years old that looks nearly new. I get compliments all the time on my lower arm and people are always shocked that it's over 7 years old... it's because I exfoliate, keep it covered and keep lotion/sunscreen on it at all times.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Tattoos don't make skin feel like leather. You're welcome to refrain from touching whomever you'd like, I'd expect...but the ink is deposited under the epidermis, and doesn't change the texture of one's skin once the epidermis heals after the initial needlework, which happens as quickly as any other minor skin abrasion. Once a tattoo heals, the skin feels no different than surrounding skin, unless there are other extenuating skin problems.
Some body are that is uniform does not look bad- I saw one tatt today that followed the woman's collar bone- it was good art and looked fine,.

I understand that - but it was not that I believed it to be leathery- being an artist I imagined canvas..Just wish that if they were going to get tatts that they would find a talented artist to do beautiful work...not just anyone who puts up a sign that says TATTOOS.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Well, speaking for myself, I got one of the two ten years ago, and it's still something that appeals to me, so I feel pretty good about the far-reaching appeal of my choices, no worries.

I do think about getting it retouched, since it's entirely shades of green, a color prone to fading. It's not too bad, as it's in a place that gets very minimal sun exposure, but my other tattoo is black ink and has def. held up better...but it's also four years "younger." Also in a spot that doesn't typically see sunlight.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 PM

[quote=JetJockey;25381785]I'm not a 'dreg of society' simply because of my tattoos. My parents taught me to judge on actions, not on appearance...how about yours?
/QUOTE]

You missed my point. I wasn't calling you or most people who have tattoos today dregs of society. My point is that up until around 20-25 years ago only the dregs of society were tattooed. It was not mainstream at all at the time. As a culture on the decline, the non-dregs have been copying the dregs and tattoos are the best example of this.

If nobody started copying the scum of 25 years ago hardly anyone would be tattooed today including yourself, the thought wouldn't have even entered your mind.

So no offense was intended, just about everyone and their grandmother is tattooed today, not just the dregs.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 AM

101 posts, read 254,465 times
When I think of huge tattoos I think of those Prision Shows on TV on MSNBC (LockUp) and the National Geographic Channel or the new show (Jail). It seems like most of the prisioners on those shows have lots of tattoos.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
...There's a big difference between the spring-break-dolphin-on-the-ankle tattoo and a custom, well done, well thought out piece of work. Unfortunately, most people see the former instead of the latter because people who actually take their time on tattoos aren't as keen on showing them off. It's a private matter, and a lot of good work is flat out stolen. Part of my tattoo was featured in a magazine and I immediately had at least 5 knock-offs that I knew of. Never again. I don't participate in magazines, editorials or competitions with my tattoos anymore.
I admire your attitude and approach.

But, it is summer now and your type of person, from what I see, is clearly a rather small minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty