U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM

17,977 posts, read 17,676,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no it is a voluntary type of branding. its a self labeling process in which the disenfranchised can assist society in culling themselves from the herd early. it is bible prophesy being fulfilled b4 our eyes, mark of the beast. 40% of young people have them. tattoos are like facebook, fun, kind of sexy, spur of the moment stuff, that is permanent.
Mark of the beast? I do not believe this. I know you will pull Leviticus out.

I actually waited several years for my most recent tattoo. An artist drew it for me and there were many changes along the way. Not until it was perfect for me did it go on my skin and I have not gotten anything but compliments on it.

It is big, and very noticeable.

I don't understand some people's mindset. It is as though they feel people with tattoos are just bad people for some reason or another. One minute your skin is clear of ink and you are not judged as such, the next minute you have one, and you are.

I actually think the people doing all the judging need to take a look inward and figure out why they think they have the authority to judge. I wonder what makes them such perfect creatures that they may judge.

Yep. The Bible talks about that as well. You know, I was a big part of the church for many years. I was in the choir and I was a Sunday School teacher, both to children and adults. I was a leader in a childrens program as well.

I have gone back and visited that church and they welcomed me with open arms, tattoos and all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM

10,578 posts, read 5,074,118 times
Tattoos view from a distance are another matter. Seeing a person with a large square tattoo on the leg for instance, looks like a block of dirt..it spoils the natural out line of the body....it is not blended in with human form...The other thing I noticed was this vegan shop keeper- she has these stubby short legs with very large calves and ankles that are not attractive. She has these tattoos that encircle her ankles that draw focus to her lower legs...making them look more stubby and those ugly legs appear even MORE unattractive.

The body has a linear natural flow...if the tattoos are not place properly and blend with the flow- THEY LOOK AWKWARD - and detract from natural beauty...besides why would a woman want to look like she has ink socks on?

My biggest grip is that most tattoo artists are not artists. Getting great body art is a hit and miss situation..and most people do not know what good art is.. You would not want poor art on your wall...so why have it on your body..

The rule would be- Imagine the tattoo enlarged put on a canvas - framed and stuck on your wall. Would you have a bad picture of your child on the wall? Of course not.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM

14,523 posts, read 9,703,489 times
I'm a white collar professional. I'm married and I have three kids.

I have two tattoos. One is a leaf and vines that curl around my ankle. The other is a grapevine that starts at the top of my left shoulder and follows the curve of my shoulder blade down, then outward around my rib cage toward my left side. It takes up around 1/3 of my back.

It (and my ankle tatto, which are on the same theme and could be connected one day if I wanted) was drawn and inked by a talented local artist who also owns a very successful tattoo parlor.

He and I spent time discussing the design. We met to go over it and tweak it until it was right.

I have some bulging discs in my neck that refer pain to my left shoulderblade. Wine helps.

My tattoo is both beautiful and symbolic. I don't often dress in a manner that shows off the larger one completely, though people do comment sometimes on what they might see of the very top of it.

I don't really give a damn who likes or doesn't like my tattoos. I was hired by my current employer many years ago WITH my ankle tattoo fully visible. My company has no code for in-building employees. Outside sales likely has a code. If I was in that field, mine wouldn't be hard to cover.

I find some tattoos interesting. Some are dull. Rather like people.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM

17,323 posts, read 12,230,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I see waaaaaay more of the tiny 'sticker tattoos' as we call them. Of course, I live on the California coast where every sorority girl absolutely needs to get a dolphin or star on their ankle, or some word on their wrist. I've found 'Wisdom' and 'Faith' in super curly cursive script is quite popular

I rarely see sleeves, but I always seem to stare whenever I do, especially when they're on men. I've never liked tattoos above the collarbone or on the face/head or hands though. Even I draw the line somewhere
I seem to see lots of back tattoos, sleeves, leg tattoos. I don't think I have seen a face tattoo. I think that is just weird. On men, chest.

The best sticker tattoo I saw was on a former coworker. she had a star at the back of her neck. Easily coverable when needed.

The dumbest tattoo? I saw a girl with her name on her arm. I guess she was worried she would forget it.

Second dumbest? A woman with her kids name and face on her arm. The first kid had a huge tattoo. Then I guess she thought she would have more than 2, because the next kid's tattoo was like half the size. I wondered about the familial relationships there.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM

948 posts, read 852,806 times
Some may have self-esteem issue and use tattooing as a form of self-mutilation. The same may be true for body piercing.
For others it is about self expression, art, a badge of courage/honor (e.g. soldiers, cancer survivors who are adding to their radiation tattoo markers), a right of passage (e.g. marines, navy), peer pressure or numerous other reasons I haven't thought of at the moment.

As a society we've come a long way with accepting people as they are regardless of their race, color, creed, sexual orientation and tattoos, as it should be in my opinion. Personally, they are not for me but to each his or her own. From a fashion standpoint, I think most tats these days are visually appealing including most sleeves. The worst one I ever saw was from a coworker of mine who had huge Pink Panther (yes, the cartoon character) on her upper breast. It looked horrible and very out of place but her body, her money so as long as she's happy with it that's all that really matters.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM

17,977 posts, read 17,676,031 times
I saw this on facebook and had to share. While I am not much on this much tattooing on one person, his tatts kept over the years. Shows those of you talking about how they will look in 10-20-30 years. Maybe you could be wrong. I use moisturizers and sunscreen on my skin all the time, and they have held up well.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think extensive tattoos are a form of self-mutilation?-418608_307018392726955_2048785660_n.jpg  

Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM

55 posts, read 57,900 times
i get tatz to look tough,my goal in life is to be tough

Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
Some people actually get addicted to tattoos. Tattoos have become very popular and there are over 45 million Americans with tattoos. Many feel they are a form of self expression. Anyone thinking about getting a tattoo just needs to think long an hard about placement. If you get a tattoo of Voldemort on your forearm it's going to be harder to get a job. If you get a daisy under your armpit very few will ever see it.

Most employers are trying to project a specific image and want their employees to represent this properly. My cousin covers her one forearm tattoo with a tattoo cover up sleeve called Ink Armor. [url=http://www.tat2x.com]Cover Tattoo | Tattoo Cover Up | Tattoo Cover | Free Shipping U.S - TAT2X[/url]

I don't see anything wrong with getting multiple tattoos but understand that you will be judged by each one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty