Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about the tramp stamp or a single or two tattoos. I'm talking about people whose bodies are covered. Why do people do this?

I saw something on TV which mentioned this degree of tattooing. Someone in the program suggested this is an alternative to cutting, or perhaps to cover up evidence of cutting. In other words, a form of self-mutilation.

So I have to ask, why would someone cover themselves in tattoos? What's the attraction? I can't understand why someone would do this to their body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I'm thinking that if you do a term search, approximately 15,000 threads where the topic of large/numerous tattoos and why people would get them has taken center stage will pop up. I don't mean to be crappy, but this is like a weekly topic, and it always just turns into the same thread, over and over.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,636 times
I havent seen the topic but I am semi new to CD.

For me personally, I don't like a tattoo to show. I think it ruins a really pretty dress when you see angel wings on the back or a rose as a boob tat. I also hate ankle tattoos on women.

If women want them, so be it, it's their choice what they do to their bodies. For me, no thanks. I'll keep the tiny filigree heart on my hip hidden. lol

Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Live and let live!!

It is not yours to question.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I have three tattoos and the one on my left arm as well as on my back to me are pretty extensive. My body is not covered though.

I think the lotus on my back is about the size of a softball, possibly and then it has some curvy lines. The one on my left arm goes up onto my shoulder as well as onto my back and I would call it a quarter sleeve. I also have an anklet.

I never got them as an ok means to mutilate my body or resemble cutting. I have had about 12 hours of work done.

I would like to know which program you watched on this as well as something more about someone suggesting such a thing. Did they also have ink? Where they a Psychologist? More info please...

Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
When they fade they look bad.
Think of what it will look like when you are old and your skin get really thin.
This starts to happen in your 40's. By your 50's it is undeniably noticeable.
Personally I think they look ugly.
It automatically lowers my opinion of them.
It makes women look tough and unfemine, gangsterish even.
They are a form of self-mutilation.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
If you don't take care of them and get them done by an inexperienced artist with poor quality ink they fade and look bad. My lower arm is covered and looks just as fresh as it did the day I received it 7 years ago.

They are not a form of self-mutilation. I love my tattoos, and plan on getting more and couldn't give a rip what people like you think of me If you don't like them, don't get them...pretty easy.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Mine were done very professionally. I am almost forty and have noticed the elasticity in my skin breaking down minimally, I have not seen a difference in the appearance of any of my tattoos, however.

To each his own opinion. I also think some of them are ugly, but that has nothing to do with how I feel about the person wearing them.

I am an educated woman, a daughter and a mother. I have never thought I looked tough, unfeminine, or like a gangster.....

They are not a form of self mutilation.

I don't have any tattoos that look like that.

There she is...Robyn the gangster.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
I've heard of people covering up cutting marks with tattoos but that's usually after they stopped as a symbolism of survival or to stop cutting those areas .

Old 07-24-2012, 02:47 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Personally I hate tattoos. I doubt I'll ever get any and I cannot fathom why anyone would want a bunch of tattoos all over their body. But...to each his or her own. I have lots of friends with tattoos and I've dated guys with tattoos. I just don't like them for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty