Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Personally I'd rather see a nice tattoo than an old guy/gal whos hair is black because they dye it every month.....now THAT'S not good for you.....is that self mutilation?...People get tattoos for a number of reasons....sometimes it's a memorial to someone they loved and lost....sometimes the tattoo can have other meanings.....whatever.....I wouldn't call it any more self-mutilating than the way some people shave their bodies every day, and then plaster makeup on to make them look like something they're not....to me...THAT'S self mutilating.....what about the plastic surgery that's a HUGE multi-million doller maker for the docs.....tell me THAT's not mutilation.
I never really thought of that, but it is another form of body modification. I have seen some bad plastic surgery jobs that do look like mutilation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM

513 posts, read 737,162 times
Default Yes

I vote yes, I believe it is an expensive, unnecessary mutilation that does nothing for an already attractive person and takes away from nice looking and not-so-attractive ones always.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
And just keep in mind....when people are getting inked.....your opinion of them never entered their heads.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM

483 posts, read 854,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I'm not talking about the tramp stamp or a single or two tattoos. I'm talking about people whose bodies are covered. Why do people do this?
Um... because they want to and they can!

Quote:
I saw something on TV which mentioned this degree of tattooing. Someone in the program suggested this is an alternative to cutting, or perhaps to cover up evidence of cutting. In other words, a form of self-mutilation.
Nonsensical drivel. For one thing, self cutting is a psychiatric disorder listed under the umbrella of borderline personality disorder, whereas *most* tattoos are done because they love the look of art on their body. I doubt most of them love the pain that comes with it, they just like the end result.

Quote:
So I have to ask, why would someone cover themselves in tattoos? What's the attraction? I can't understand why someone would do this to their body.
Well, it is a bit addicting. One leads to two, two leads to three and before you know it, some people end up with their whole body covered. *shrugs*

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
This is my arm on the right.

I don't see it as mutilation at all. I enjoy my tattoos and I don't regret them a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think extensive tattoos are a form of self-mutilation?-tattoo.jpg  

Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Um... because they want to and they can!

Nonsensical drivel. For one thing, self cutting is a psychiatric disorder listed under the umbrella of borderline personality disorder, whereas *most* tattoos are done because they love the look of art on their body. I doubt most of them love the pain that comes with it, they just like the end result.

Well, it is a bit addicting. One leads to two, two leads to three and before you know it, some people end up with their whole body covered. *shrugs*
Well, this is true, it can be addicting. I think when a person gets a tattoo they either know at the time they will never get another or they are sitting there wondering what the next one will be...

Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This is my arm on the right.

I don't see it as mutilation at all. I enjoy my tattoos and I don't regret them a bit.
That is very nice work.

I have had many people stop me on the street over my peacock, telling me what good work it is and asking who did it.

People without tattoos and who would never have one included....

Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My last tattoo took much longer to heal. Four months for the whole thing to heal. The light aqua in it wouldn't heal and stayed raised and has finally healed. My bf said it felt like lizard skin, and it kinda did. Now it is smooth as the rest of my skin.

I have seen some darker complected people whose tattoos did not heal properly and were raised like scars. I would imagine these may the same people who might have a problem with keloids.

My bf touches my skin, tattooed or not, and never wigs out on me, lol.
For me, I am prone to keloid tissue (totally the opposite of dark skinned, though). But I've only gotten keloids from incisions (in all honesty, the scarring from having skin cancer removed when I was fourteen is far more unsightly than either tattoo I have). Both my tattoos are as smooth as the surrounding skin, and were never raised. They are also small.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
How do you get a decent job? Who will hire a person whose entire visible body is covered with ink other than a tattoo shop? Inking oneself everywhere in sight has got to limit opportunities. I know it does. It has happened to family members. Although then they portray themselves as victims. But they made a choice to create an appearance which is not socially acceptable in many job roles (rightly or wrongly).

And it would seem the "addiction" of it would certainly qualify as some type of psych dx, as does alcohol or other such addictions. When they impact your ability to function in life, ==> problem.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I'm 37 years old and work for a major software company as a senior level architect. My company has absolutely no policy on tattoos.

If a customer requested me to wear long sleeves to cover my tattoos, I would. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty