Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
What you find attractive today may be completely different in 10-20-30 years, but you are stuck with it.
Good advice when choosing a spouse, not just tatoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
What you find attractive today may be completely different in 10-20-30 years, but you are stuck with it.
And I might get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I refuse to live my life in fear of what "may be", when there are no indicators that it WILL be. The only thing I can do is make the best decisions with the information available.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Because in a culture/civilization on the rise the lower classes try to copy the behavior of the upper classes.
In a civilization on the the decline the middle and upper classes copy the behavior of the dregs of society.

What a complete load of garbage this is.

Have you got any evidence, at all, to back up this silly claim?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
...Just wish that if they were going to get tatts that they would find a talented artist to do beautiful work...not just anyone who puts up a sign that says TATTOOS.
I can certainly agree with you on this point, Oleg.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What a complete load of garbage this is.

Have you got any evidence, at all, to back up this silly claim?
Tattoos are the evidence. Only the lowest of the low such as outlaw bilkers and murderers had tattoos 25 years ago. Now everyone has them.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Quote:
Tattoos are the evidence. Only the lowest of the low such as outlaw bilkers and murderers had tattoos 25 years ago. Now everyone has them.
I'm sure my grandfather and father, both men of the cloth and proud veterans will be happy to know that they are now outlaw bikers and murderes.

I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear this.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Of course how we feel about tattoos and actually anything is based on our age and how we were raised.

My father was a career Army Officer. He was born in 1915 and died in 1974. His father was the official tailor and uniform maker at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester, OK. My father had very anti tattoo attitude. What he saw in the penitentiary was of course the lowest of the low and not at all an art form. What he saw in the military was the result of a bunch of drunk sailors on shore leave.

I can't stand tattoos. I think they look cheap and creepy and now everybody looks like everybody else all inked up. I realize I am biased because of my age and my father's vocal responses to what he saw. I have 4 children, two of whom are grown. Thank God they have no interest in tatts and they know how I feel. My 30 year old PhD son is really turned off by them on women and says they all have the same butterfly in the small of their backs which look ridiculous.

I think it is a fad run amuck. Years ago Cher had some and she thought she was unique but when everybody and their brother (and sister) started getting the, she had hers erased. Not everybody can afford to erase the mistakes of their youth.

And the full facial tattoos are meant to frighten people and keep people at a distance. Very sad indeed.

My 2 cents worth.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Quote:
That is just not true at all. Both of my twin uncles had them and neither were outlaw bikers or murderers. Both of my brothers had them as well, again, neither of them were outlaws.

Wondering where you're doing your research....

Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
There is definitely a genration gap in terms of the "acceptableness" of tattoos. My mom thinks they are awful. She always says "they won't look good when you get old and fat."

Now, people without tattoos are almost in the minority for people under about 35. Probably a minority for the 18-25s.

As for the "professional" jobs? It depends a lot on your industry and unfortunately your ethnic group. If you are white, you can get away with a visible tattoo and no one will say much about it. If you are latino or black, good luck with that -- you probably won't even get the job. Most "ethnic" people I know keep them covered up to avoid being stereotypes.

When I was in my teens, I knew one guy with a tattoo. He went to a neighboring state (they were illegal for people under 18 or something in our state) and came back on Monday to show us his prized acquisition. A new Tweety Bird tattoo on his upper arm. He later went on to join the Marines, and is a state-level politician, aiming to move up higher. Not sure if he got more tattoos.

People get tattoos for different reasons: art, rebellion, to overcome painful memories, to start a new chapter in their lives, to become more attractive or something else. Just like every other way we manipulate our physical appearance.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 AM

101 posts, read 353,483 times
One of the biggest businesses now days is tattoo removal. But it is an expensive and painful process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty