U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-25-2012, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL and Vero Beach, Fl
2,945 posts, read 11,937,729 times
Reputation: 2057

Advertisements

Honey, in today's world get both with a far heavier emphasis on education. Been there, done that. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
Reputation: 3036
I'm not buying the Hooters waitress being able to afford that work without financing through another party.

I know hooters waitresses who worked in Miami and Fort Lauderdale which are high traffic areas that made between $100-$200 a shift. That's decent for a single person w/no kids but it's still poverty line esque...at best it's middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
u r light years ahead of the game. all u need after that is a donkey with large bags of gold willing to carry u and it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm not buying the Hooters waitress being able to afford that work without financing through another party.

I know hooters waitresses who worked in Miami and Fort Lauderdale which are high traffic areas that made between $100-$200 a shift. That's decent for a single person w/no kids but it's still poverty line esque...at best it's middle class.
Those waitresses still get paid a lot compared to me.
I'm an Rn,8 years experience making 220 per day.
Oh,and my hourly pay keeps dropping,so next year I won't even make that much a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Well you are the OP. Only you can determine if we are straying off topic. BUT, I personally think that anything that helps you look deep inside of you, to help you explore when & where these feelings all started is good. Very good. Otherwise, you're going to keep focused on solutions outside of yourself...thinking that is the answer. The original lie needs to be exposed. If you accepted and loved yourself, you wouldn't even be having these questions. If you are willing, at a minimum, you should think about what happened at 12. What changed in your life? Compare it to what was happening before 12. You don't have to talk about it here. Just think about it. Pray about it. You can do it.
I thought by mentioning God that this was going into religion.
But you know what changed was that I strated praying,and puberty and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 4,269,455 times
Reputation: 1941
RN's online always say they are struggling however the ones I know in real life are getting by just fine. Much better than the average person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Those waitresses still get paid a lot compared to me.
I'm an Rn,8 years experience making 220 per day.
Oh,and my hourly pay keeps dropping,so next year I won't even make that much a day.

Waitresses have it worse. There is virtually no job security, benefits such as health dental vision, odd hours (evenings and weekends), long hours, working on your feet all night, and I'm sure there is other stuff I'm not remembering right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Reputation: 5566
Indeed, you can't say $220 a day without including all the benefits you get, including paid vacation and sick time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,428,459 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm not buying the Hooters waitress being able to afford that work without financing through another party.

I know hooters waitresses who worked in Miami and Fort Lauderdale which are high traffic areas that made between $100-$200 a shift. That's decent for a single person w/no kids but it's still poverty line esque...at best it's middle class.
I came up with over 8K in less than 2 months for my cosmetic procedures waitressing (I dropped off an average of 900 a week to my PS) and I had bills and rent to pay too. She got hers done in Columbia so I'm assuming she paid less. I don't know about FL (seems where expenses are lower waitresses make less money), but where I worked in LI, over 80% of the girls had cosmetic procedures because they clearly could afford them. Every day I would hear about a new cosmetic procedure I've never even heard of.

A $150 average a shift is low, but for 7 hours of work (average length of shift) it's over 20 an hour which is more than a lot of college graduates make. It's certainly not "poverty level"...though it would be hard to afford major surgery on. But then again breast augmentation in FL is cheap. The best plastic surgeons there charge 40% less than they do in the NY metro area.

And fyi, Hooters corporate and a lot of other corporate restaurants do offer health/dental plans, and I've worked for corporate places with paid vacations and even got offered a job with a 401K.

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 07-26-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I came up with over 8K in less than 2 months for my cosmetic procedures waitressing (I dropped off an average of 900 a week to my PS) and I had bills and rent to pay too. She got hers done in Columbia so I'm assuming she paid less. I don't know about FL (seems where expenses are lower waitresses make less money), but where I worked in LI, over 80% of the girls had cosmetic procedures because they clearly could afford them. Every day I would hear about a new cosmetic procedure I've never even heard of.

A $150 average a shift is low, but for 7 hours of work (average length of shift) it's over 20 an hour which is more than a lot of college graduates make. It's certainly not "poverty level"...though it would be hard to afford major surgery on. But then again breast augmentation in FL is cheap. The best plastic surgeons there charge 40% less than they do in the NY metro area.

And fyi, Hooters corporate and a lot of other corporate restaurants do offer health/dental plans, and I've worked for corporate places with paid vacations and even got offered a job with a 401K.
You should really look into becoming an escort. Way more $$$ and perks than waitressing or bartending and much better hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top