U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Compare where I went to undergrad compared to where you went to undergrad. 'Nuff said. Wherever you went guaranteed was lesser ranked than where I went to school, and likely by far. No way you could compare your level of education to mine.

I took calculus in 10th grade and scored 99th percentile on the verbal SAT's (770/800, I missed two questions), needless to say I got into a very good school.

Where I went to school, it is common for people to speak like this, nothing I said was misplaced contextually or overwrought. It just sounds that way to people who have never heard these words in ordinary parlance, i.e., you.
Oh please

This 'education pissing contest' is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems with all the focus on looks of women I would be better off getting plastic surgery than going back to get my degree.

Does it seem for women nowadays that its more profitable to get surgery to improve their looks vs getting a college degree?
There have been studies that prove beautiful people get treated better and make more money.
Also,plenty of people with Bachelor's Degrees who can't find employment.

What do you think?

Maybe I should have posted this in the non romantic relationships forum?
Or the Finanacial section under personal?
I think that education is more important but I think that keeping up ones looks is almost equally important.

Just as a home needs to be maintained so does the appearance of people as they age.

But without an education, one is pretty empty and fundamentally unattractive.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
Quote:
Compare where I went to undergrad compared to where you went to undergrad. 'Nuff said. Wherever you went guaranteed was lesser ranked than where I went to school, and likely by far. No way you could compare your level of education to mine.

I took calculus in 10th grade and scored 99th percentile on the verbal SAT's (770/800, I missed two questions), needless to say I got into a very good school.

Where I went to school, it is common for people to speak like this, nothing I said was misplaced contextually or overwrought. It just sounds that way to people who have never heard these words in ordinary parlance, i.e., you.

But none of that matters since you are a waitress at Hooters anyway. You went to the best college in the US and you work at Hooters and your goal is to break into "sales" one day? This is all sounding fishy to me.

Did you go to Harvard or Yale? Where did you study?

How do you know where I went to college anyways?

I grew up in the same town that Harvard, Tufts, BU, and BC professors raised their children in. I never like to point this out because I still see my roots as humble being I come from a family of immigrants. My point is I'm always around well educated people and ivy league educated people who still manage not to speak like wannabe scholars or pompous asses. They are all far more humble than you.

Your comment "So many post rife with trite sentiment" sounds like something a butler in 1800s England would say. That isn't how educated Americans speak, unless they are trying to sound like a butler from 1800s England. Even people making an effort to sound educated wouldn't say that.

Last edited by Pear Martini; 08-01-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh please

Yeah. I've met Ivy League idiots and brilliant people from state colleges. Or no college.

Depends on the person.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. I've met Ivy League idiots and brilliant people from state colleges. Or no college.

Depends on the person.
Yep. I have an engineering degree (and a few AAs that I've collected) and more trade certificates and licenses than I'd care to count but I don't think that makes me a better or smarter person. There's always someone smarter and more successful out there.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,523,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh please

It's pretty amusing to me.

I have two sisters. One went to Harvard. Now goes to UVA for law. You would never know it from talking to her in a basic everyday conversation. The other goes to Northwestern. And you can tell.

Where you go to college is only one measure of your intelligence, there are other components as well.

But back to the OP can you post a pic of yourself? I just can't imagine that you are as unattractive as you've described in this thread.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Depends on the person.
I guess that ties in with my question.
If someone is an attractive idiot,why go to college?
Everything is going to be handed to them anyway(esp a pretty woman)

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
Quote:

I notice people talk like you write in Nyc.
Down south people talk in more "everyday language".

I would just chalk it up to regional differences.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
I guess that ties in with my question.
If someone is an attractive idiot,why go to college?
Everything is going to be handed to them anyway(esp a pretty woman)
I don't know where you got this idea. Is every pretty bimbo married to a millionaire? Is every plastic surgery barbie lookalike living the life of a "Real Housewives of" reality star?

No. Being pretty will give you an extra boost in life, will get you free drinks at the bar, and may even give you an undeserved advantage on the job, but do you think you could have shown up to the hospital without a degree but looking hot as hell and gotten the job you have now? Are the hot doctors just people who look good in a white coat? Or are they people who broke their necks for years to get to the positions they're in?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,364,839 times
Quote:
I notice people talk like you write in Nyc.
Down south people talk in more "everyday language".

I would just chalk it up to regional differences.
I attribute it to someone trying to come across as smart / intellectual, even though their prior posts indicate otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty