U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,256,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I attribute it to someone trying to come across as smart / intellectual, even though their prior posts indicate otherwise.

Finally someone else gets it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't know where you got this idea. Is every pretty bimbo married to a millionaire? Is every plastic surgery barbie lookalike living the life of a "Real Housewives of" reality star?

No. Being pretty will give you an extra boost in life, will get you free drinks at the bar, and may even give you an undeserved advantage on the job, but do you think you could have shown up to the hospital without a degree but looking hot as hell and gotten the job you have now? Are the hot doctors just people who look good in a white coat? Or are they people who broke their necks for years to get to the positions they're in?

Your last paragraph is right,
However,I have to find a study that I read years age about teachers giving attractuve children grades that they didn't deserve,and that attractive children received more attention than unattractive children.

That extra boost in life for being pretty includes better grades,more promotions,more raises,drinks at the bar,more male attention, more earning potential, a spouse with more money,and too many other things to even mention.

I also have tofind that study done that showed unattractive people also tend to have lower incomes.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM

33,079 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess that ties in with my question.
If someone is an attractive idiot,why go to college?
Everything is going to be handed to them anyway(esp a pretty woman)
I don't think that's true.

Not everyone likes attractive idiots for more than to get laid or what have you.

Would a very bright man who enjoys a partner with whom he can have intellectual discussions want a vapid airhead for a wife?

Nope. A mistress, maybe. Not a wife.

I've met some very pretty women who were married to abusive bums. Looks are not a cure all.

And men dump pretty women just as fast as the plainer ones.

I think you've latched onto what you see as a cure-all. It's just a bandaid. Fix yourself from the inside, and everyone will see what you have to offer.

I still think that maximizing what you've got, looks-wise, is a smart idea if you're in the market for a husband/SO.

Other than that, unless you've got hideous deformities that really are preventing you from getting dates, it seems silly to jump to the conclusion that plastic surgery is a panacea.

Once you spend all that money, it'll be gone, and you'll still have the same mindset.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yep. I have an engineering degree (and a few AAs that I've collected) and more trade certificates and licenses than I'd care to count but I don't think that makes me a better or smarter person. There's always someone smarter and more successful out there.
That's the truth. And it's likely one of the reasons you've been more successful in a male-dominated field.

Keeping on top of your game.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I notice people talk like you write in Nyc.
Down south people talk in more "everyday language".

I would just chalk it up to regional differences.
I dunno that everyone down south talks like a yokel. I say that because I AM a Southerner. My Master's degree is in English. I'm a professional editor and I'm clearly not lacking a large selection of words from which to choose when I post on C-D.

I think the thing here is that making a random comment chock full of SAT vocabulary words comes across as pretentious.

If there had been a paragraph containing those same words spread throughout? I doubt anything would've been said. Most native English speakers (and many who are not) understand perfectly well what "trite" and "rife" mean.

OTOH, perhaps the poster in question was up late reading something highbrow, like "Fifty Shades of Grey."

Last edited by RedZin; 08-02-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
Quote:
I guess at the time when I was younger I didn't realize what I really wanted to be was a housewife.
It wasn't until I got older that I realized it. Since the primary thing men focus on is looks,well that should of been my focus back then. I admit too I did let my looks go to the wayside. I didn't care about staying up late to study,ate anything I wanted to while studying(something about reading and eating),didn't know the meaning of exercise.
That's why its kind of impossible to keep up with my looks and pursue a degree. We even laugh about that at the nurses station,how everyone got obese from studying and snacking.
I do regret not trying finding a good husband when I was younger.

Women be honest on here.
Wouldn't you rather have a husband who takes care of you rather than working full time?
Those women are winners either way. If the husband gets a new wife...the "old" wife still gets free money, a house and possibly interest in the husband's retirement and investments. There's reason a lot of high-income people don't bother getting divorced.

Sooo...even when these attractive women get "replaced," they're still better off than a lot of us.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Those women are winners either way. If the husband gets a new wife...the "old" wife still gets free money, a house and possibly interest in the husband's retirement and investments. There's reason a lot of high-income people don't bother getting divorced.

Sooo...even when these attractive women get "replaced," they're still better off than a lot of us.
But, is that really the answer? Bank on your looks allowing you to become a legally-sanctioned freeloader?

So much for women's rights.

No wonder so many men are worried about gold diggers. Sheesh.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,463,066 times
Sure. Awesome goal...become a beautiful woman with fake everything to catch a rich guy. Or...go to college...get a degree...be smart...and have the confidence you can support yourself and kick any man to the curb....or...have fake boobs...and basically be a prostitute.

I was married to a rich man once...it was not worth it.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
But, is that really the answer? Bank on your looks allowing you to become a legally-sanctioned freeloader?

So much for women's rights.

No wonder so many men are worried about gold diggers. Sheesh.
The way I see it, women's rights and feminism in general are there to give women the opportunity and the choice to be successful on their own. If they choose to use their 'feminine wiles' to snag a rich man and be a housewife then that's her prerogative. Not all women want to, or desire to work and many are traditional in that sense.

While it's not for me, I'm not going to try and shame a woman for choosing something I wouldn't.

Regardless, gold diggers are ridiculously easy to spot. Most men simply ignore the signs because of a pretty face. Oddly, the men who seem to be most afraid of gold diggers are the ones who don't have much gold to dig...rich men know exactly where they stand and many are more than happy to 'buy' a hot wife.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
The OP has never said she's looking to marry a rich man. She's looking for someone who is her earning equal or thereabouts. Life is easier with a teammate -- and not every spouse is that. You have to still pick wisely, man or woman.

I am scheduled for upper & lower blepharoplasty in a few months. I am doing it to improve my appearance to keep me more employable as I'm reaching the point that age discrimination in hiring is something I need to be aware of in my working life going forward. I'm an average looking woman overall. I'm still getting certificates and updating skills, but when evenly matched skills-wise, almost all employers are going to go for the younger applicant unless I can convince them through my personality and the employer's perception that I'm energetic and vibrant and not looking at the position as a placekeeper until I retire.

My sister is a couple of years older than I am and does not dye her hair, nor has she updated her makeup and her clothes look dated. She's also on a first name basis with working astronauts, has lots of extra lab equipment and training that move with her to a new school, is well liked and respected by her peers and students, and yet she's been trying to find a better teaching job for three years now, and she walks in and the principal sees the hair, the clothes, the raccoon eyes, and 10 minutes later the interview is over and no offer. I've spoken to her about updating her look at least until she gets the job and she is starting to consider it. I'm hoping she'll let me do a full update make-over for her soon.

I can understand the OP not wanting to post pictures of herself because of how attacking of her statements some of the other people in this discussion have been. But I am not going to dismiss the OP's evaulation of her own features and her own experiences because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty