U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 3,803,119 times
Reputation: 13140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Come on,you mean to tell me you wouldn't want to be a housewife in a big house?
I would,rather than working 2 jobs.

LOL

How do you know I don't live in a big house now? I just asked the hubby would he mind if became a housewife. He looked at me and said, "That's not you."

Working is all that I know how to do. Earning an income and actually contributing to society adds to my sense of self worth. I'm sorry that you don't understand that. I truly am.

Xxbbeechick,

What I learned growing up was that I couldn't count on anyone but myself and education was my way out. For the record, many people consider me attractive. But I learned a long time ago that being smart held more value. I want to earn what I have myself. I know people with Master's who are unemployed. Jerseygirl doesn't have that problem. And frankly, judging by her responses on this board, she needs all the education she can get.

Have a great weekend ladies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,439,632 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What I learned growing up was that I couldn't count on anyone but myself and education was my way out. For the record, many people consider me attractive. But I learned a long time ago that being smart held more value. I want to earn what I have myself.
As for the first sentence, my mom told me a lot of that, and I touched upon that in one of my posts...but what I also touched upon was the fact that are are a ton of variables on the outset that affect how far your education will get you.

People like to think that they've earned what they have "all on their own" (whatever that means), but the truth is beauty, social connections, your parents' connection/status, and luck can play far greater factors in your level of success in your career and your life than your education. Some people may refer to these as "unearned credits" but I think that's loaded language. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is simply in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,248,594 times
Reputation: 7491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL

How do you know I don't live in a big house now? I just asked the hubby would he mind if became a housewife. He looked at me and said, "That's not you."

Working is all that I know how to do. Earning an income and actually contributing to society adds to my sense of self worth. I'm sorry that you don't understand that. I truly am.

Xxbbeechick,

What I learned growing up was that I couldn't count on anyone but myself and education was my way out. For the record, many people consider me attractive. But I learned a long time ago that being smart held more value. I want to earn what I have myself. I know people with Master's who are unemployed. Jerseygirl doesn't have that problem. And frankly, judging by her responses on this board, she needs all the education she can get.

Have a great weekend ladies!
You just admitted you know plenty of people with Masters who are unemployed.
I'm guessing that wasn't a great return in that investment for them?

Bte,I know plenty of women who used their looks to get out of the ghetto.
Of course,who is to say I get my Master's and then become unemployed?
Nursing is already flooded and many nurses are unemployed. Their isn't a nursing shortage. Stop believeing the media hype.

I notice you are always mentioning how I'm a nurse. As if we aren't real people with real problems. We are somehow above other people.
Did you get rejected from nursing school?
You couldn't pass the Teas?

And for the record,housewives do contribute to society. They raise responsible adults. But for me,I wouldn't mind staying home with the children. As studies have shown,the 2 working spouses family doesn't raise children as well as housewives do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,248,594 times
Reputation: 7491
Mochamajesty,since you seem so angry in your comments to me I have a question to ask you.

Was your husband initially attracted to your degree when he first saw you?
If you say no,all your comments are invalid as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,306,658 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Really?
YOU? All of the crazy threads you start?
Let's see what you started:
Would woman date a guy with a pet snake?
If its not a troll question it must be one of those ' only in America' things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 02:30 AM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,248,594 times
Reputation: 7491
Yes,because only in America are they concerned with appearance.
All those Koreans getting eyelid surgery before age 20,all the Japanese and Indians who use skin lightning creams,etc. But the point is everyone is obsessed with looks,the whole planet.

You are a man,so I will ask you this:
When you see a woman for the first time,do you ask yourself "I wonder what type of degree she has?"
Or do you look at her outward appearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,306,658 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes,because only in America are they concerned with appearance.
All those Koreans getting eyelid surgery before age 20,all the Japanese and Indians who use skin lightning creams,etc. But the point is everyone is obsessed with looks,the whole planet.

You are a man,so I will ask you this:
When you see a woman for the first time,do you ask yourself "I wonder what type of degree she has?"
Or do you look at her outward appearance?
The idea of getting plastic surgery as a 'career' choice...well I guess if that's what you want to go for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 AM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,248,594 times
Reputation: 7491
I'm reading stories now about hospitals refusing to hire obese nurses.
There is the hospital in Tx that doesnt want to hire anyone with a Bmi over 35.
Apparently I could have the best nursing skills,have all the degreed in the world,but because I have a Bmi over 35,I still won't get hired.
But as some on here say,its all in my head that getting PS over a degree is silly .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,457,974 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm reading stories now about hospitals refusing to hire obese nurses.
There is the hospital in Tx that doesnt want to hire anyone with a Bmi over 35.
Apparently I could have the best nursing skills,have all the degreed in the world,but because I have a Bmi over 35,I still won't get hired.
But as some on here say,its all in my head that getting PS over a degree is silly .
You won't get hired at that ONE hospital, if you are obese. You could be skinny and ugly and get hired there.

And again (and again and again) I don't think anyone has said looks don't matter at all, we've all just repeatedly said skills matter more.

Also, I don't think bariatric surgery is considered plastic surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,306,658 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm reading stories now about hospitals refusing to hire obese nurses.
There is the hospital in Tx that doesnt want to hire anyone with a Bmi over 35.
Apparently I could have the best nursing skills,have all the degreed in the world,but because I have a Bmi over 35,I still won't get hired.
But as some on here say,its all in my head that getting PS over a degree is silly .
And so they should have that right. A nurse should set an example for healthy living. Nurses shouldn't be employed if they smoke, if they are obese, or engage in extremely unhealthy behaviour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top